The simFlight Network Forums

Tower!3D Pro -Anatomy of a KSFO Landing

crbascott

After reading comments on this forum/Steam and experiencing landing planes "slowing to a crawl" at KSFO impacting departure management, I thought I'd take a deeper dive and look at he plane speeds at various points in the landing process. I did a similar exercise about 4 months ago -  https://forum.simflight.com/topic/84430-tower3d-pro-anatomy-of-a-landing.

(1) Touch down - this is the point where altitude was zero and tilt was zero. All planes hit the same spot, but, obviously, at different speeds. In my test, the 753 was traveling at approximately 108 knots, 73G at 109 knots, CNJ at 107 knots, and E75 at 96 knots.
(2) Slowed down to 44 knots - after touch down planes begin the slowdown process to 44 knotsThis occurred at different points based on the plane type and landing speed.
(3) Successful landing - after reaching 44 knots planes would travel a little further down the runway before the successful landing message was displayed.

(4) Begin slowing down to 19 knots - planes would maintain 45-48 knots until it was time to slow down to taxiing speed (19 knots) in preparation to exit the runway. 
(5) At 19 knots - after reaching 19 knots planes would maintain this speed until exiting the taxiway and preparing to stop. 

The attached images demonstrate the above using T as the exit taxiway and J as the exit taxiway on 28L.

KSFO_AOL_T.thumb.JPG.326f38ed72b1c51b88ce1c7e0a604243.JPG

KSFO_AOL_J.thumb.JPG.7512a0c3e348255903a9e39308ae8cb9.JPG

In briefly testing landings on 28R I experienced similar results. 28R@Q was similar to 28L@T and 28R@T was similar to 28L@J. 

I don't see a FeelThere SP addressing this at any point in the near future so I think my strategy would be to exit planes at 28L@T and 28R@Q - especially when running the normal configuration of 1s as the primary departure runways and the 28s at the primary arrival runways.

Craig 

Note - this test was conducted using Tower!3D Pro version 3.2d, RT version sp6v5, and the initial release of KSFO.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, crbascott said:

so I think my strategy would be to exit planes at 28L@T and 28R@Q - especially when running the normal configuration of 1s as the primary departure runways and the 28s at the primary arrival runways.

Thanks for the research and tip, Craig.  That strategy helps a lot for trying to get departures off the ones in between arrivals. 

Andrew