The simFlight Network Forums

How are folks enjoying EDDM

Avwriter

After all the troubles yesterday, I played for two hours.

Firts of, EDDM is larger than I thought, but it still is a two-parallel runway layout. I used 26R for arrivals, and 26L for departures.

There is almost no conflict of ground traffic, in the setup I used, planes just went from North to South.

The airport has a nice flow, it is quit relaxing, because there is almost no conflict of ground traffic. You have to get used to the large gap between the hold short of runway line, and the actual runway. It is almost large enough to directly give planes a take-off clearance, instead of first lining up (this was for 26L)

I wonder if the runways are far enough apart to actually use opposing runways, i.e. using both 8R and 26R for arrivals and departures, haven't tried that jet,. (I know it doesn't work on KLAX with the two inner runways)

There are some gates that definitely cannot see bigger airplanes, the south 4-gate area for example. 

There are some bugs..which I didn't report. to busy playing. I had one Lufthansa plane not pushing back which I deleted in the end. And I had a spinning Tugs..just spinning under the plane. I may have deleted that to early, should have waited on the incoming plane to see if the Tug would stop partying.

Real Traffic/Colors (yes I did take the leap and shut down windows defender) things;

I Had 3 Easy Jets Waiting for 3 hours... that ain't never gonna happen :)

There are a lot of different and new liveries, lime green Siberia Air anyone?

The smaller Lufthansa Jets where either in the new Lufthansa livery, or the star alliance livery, didn't really  see that (the take-off camera takes you right above the airplane)

The KLM E90 is in Sky Team Livery, nice touch

Half of the airport is for Lufthansa/Air Hansa and the Star Alliance (I Think) companies, try saying Dolomiti :) 

It may get more interesting with GA-traffic, that is slow, in two hours, I had one DH4 landing, which I diverted to 26L for landing, but in hindsight, that didn't seemed necessary 

Edited by andredragt

8 hours ago, andredragt said:

try saying Dolomiti :) 

I've only dipped in and out of EDDM since I installed it today but some callsigns are weird or wrong.

1. I regularly fly on Air Dolomiti into EDDM (BTW their business class breakfasts are fantastic!) and I do not recognize the callsign as spoken in T3D, so I had a little investigation and the closest I can get to the real pronunciation is by changing the callsign in the eddm_airlines file to DOLLOMEETI.  Not perfect but very close.

2. Another callsign that the text-to-speech engine mutates into something horrible is 'Aegean', the closest I can get to the correct sound is "A JEEAN".

3. RT has the callsign for Turkish Airlines as "TURK AIR" but I have changed it to the correct "TURKISH".

4. In the real world Pegasus Airlines flights use the callsign "SUN TURK" but in RT it is "SUNTRUCK" which is highly amusing and possibly quite appropriate :)

• Haha 1

A couple more:

I changed "Condor" to "Condoor" and it is pronounced correctly.

I also changed "Tomson" to "Tui Fly" because Thomsonfly, as listed in the airlines file, ceased operations in 2008 and became Thomson Airways which in turn ceased in 2017 and is now re-branded as Tui Airways.

Two hours of EDDM with new airlines and it's a pleasure not hearing the callsign "Southwest" every couple of minutes!  ;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, winsaudi said:

3. RT has the callsign for Turkish Airlines as "TURK AIR" but I have changed it to the correct "TURKISH".

Turkish Airlines is in both the LAX and JFK schedules. I'm disappointed you didn't catch it earlier, but then with "Southwest" ringing in your ears all this time it is understandable. 

Hi Craig,

Yes I did, and several others (come on Nyerges Design, please update your packages!) but the game's recent cruel torture of the callsigns Dolomiti and Aegean forced me into print to stop human suffering!  I can feel a Nobel Peace Prize in my future. 

Wayne :)

10 hours ago, winsaudi said:

A couple more:

I changed "Condor" to "Condoor" and it is pronounced correctly.

I also changed "Tomson" to "Tui Fly" because Thomsonfly, as listed in the airlines file, ceased operations in 2008 and became Thomson Airways which in turn ceased in 2017 and is now re-branded as Tui Airways.

Two hours of EDDM with new airlines and it's a pleasure not hearing the callsign "Southwest" every couple of minutes!  ;)

Yup, I have done those too, cheers.

As for Southwest ....... err ...............

Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline, Hansaline

Niven.jpg

17 minutes ago, winsaudi said:

Hi Craig,

Yes I did, and several others (come on Nyerges Design, please update your packages!) but the game's recent cruel torture of the callsigns Dolomiti and Aegean forced me into print to stop human suffering!  I can feel a Nobel Peace Prize in my future. 

Wayne :)

A new post/topic with a complete list would be nice - that would definitely get you a nomination. 

Real Color does NOT give you new airlines but new liveries, Real Traffic does...

If you own Real Traffic then you need to download and install sp6v6 from the original link....

Grtz

Willem

Kevin , Real color geeft alleen de mooie kleurtjes , voor de echte namen en vluchtschema's heb je toch echt Real traffic nodig...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Kl408 said:

Real Color does NOT give you new airlines but new liveries, Real Traffic does...

If you own Real Traffic then you need to download and install sp6v6 from the original link....

Grtz

Willem

Kevin , Real color geeft alleen de mooie kleurtjes , voor de echte namen en vluchtschema's heb je toch echt Real traffic nodig...

thanks willem , dank je wel

Getting back to the original topic, I did pick up EDDM and am finding it to be a more interesting challenge than I expected.  A quick look at the airport layout leads one to expect that this airport would be easy, considering its basic staggered two-runway parallel layout.  At moderate traffic rates this is indeed quite true, but as the traffic builds up, the specific arrangement of the terminals and taxiways sets up some nasty traps for the complacent controller :-)   I also must really congratulate Nyerges on his graphics design.  The terminal buildings and jetways look distinctively convincing and realistic.  Also their smart placement of the action camera spots affords really some neat views as well.  For a feature that was somewhat broken from the start, the 3rd party developers seems to be finding unique ways to take advantage of it.  Gabor, if you are listening, I really hope that EDDF will be your next project.

Even after all these years in Tower2011 and Tower3D(Pro), I am still sometimes surprised at how different the experience can be at airports that have ostensibly similar layouts.  I look forward to seeing what the usual suspects here come up with in terms of custom schedules ;-)

So far I like it.  The long runways are kinda cool.  Avwriter is correct, once traffic builds it will be a little more difficult but manageable.  I would love to increase the traffic and add more cargo flights out of this airport though.  I have not tried the RC yet, just being lazy but I will at some point.  

On 4/13/2018 at 3:37 PM, mickey2damouse said:

So far I like it.  The long runways are kinda cool.  Avwriter is correct, once traffic builds it will be a little more difficult but manageable.  I would love to increase the traffic and add more cargo flights out of this airport though.  I have not tried the RC yet, just being lazy but I will at some point.  

That'a good point - in the airport advertising it mentions " ... extensive cargo and maintenance facilities and is fully equipped to handle wide-body aircraft". However, there are no airlines assigned to the cargo terminal. But then LAX is the 4th or 5th busiest in the US and ... oh well, you know the story. 

At least Munich has the gates - looks like there are 7 cargo spots. Anyone know the active cargo carriers at EDDM? Wikipedia listed a few and I found about 15-20 flights we can add for ABW, BCS, FDX, and VAS. I can create a custom supplement to RT if desired. 

57 minutes ago, andredragt said:

I started a session at 00.00, but was immediately transferred to 6:00 with some big international planes incoming...

So I guess there is no night traffic..

and they all went down to the D5-terminal... does that fit?

Pictures in link ..need to find how to get pictures smaller...

Every new airport i start at 7am then work my way through, i hate how they park there they don't fit.

3 hours ago, andredragt said:

I started a session at 00.00, but was immediately transferred to 6:00 with some big international planes incoming...

So I guess there is no night traffic..

and they all went down to the D5-terminal... does that fit?

Pictures in link ..need to find how to get pictures smaller...

The first departure after midnight is in the 06:00 hour, so that is when the session will start.

The terminal assignments appear to correct for EDDM. Gate assignments within a terminal are somewhat random.