The simFlight Network Forums

Planes pause on takeoff/landing

OneNothing

@FeelThere

Here is a few examples at KPHX when landing and taking-off. The last clip also shows where aircraft exiting 25R usually block taxiway E. I haven't checked all taxiways, but most aircraft exit at E8, E9, E10 and will block E.

Taxiway B I highlighted because some aircraft pushing back from the terminal where SKW9850 is, pushback fully onto taxiway B @ B8. Probably the ones pushing one or more of the 4 right-hand gates as you look at it. (At SKW9850's port wing tip)

taxiways.jpg.7059ddadd6104698d7ee9c9d0e0bb97f.jpg

logs.rar

I expect what's going on here is that he game is not syncing the animation for landing-touchdown-rolling or rolling-rotate-take off. This is not a fluid animation because the point at which planes will touch down or rotate can and will vary so there needs to be a break in the motion. These sometimes do not sync up perfectly which is where you see the freeze up. 

It's not as easy as it may seem to get this correct every time but yes, especially with a lot going on but I do agree this happens too frequently. If I had to nitpick on something I feel there is room to improve (yes, I went there ;) ) it would be this as it breaks game play/immersion once you start noticing really.

I've only made another video as I see that Vic @FeelTherementioned trying it with default aircraft, no real traffic.

We are back at EDDM here with about 8 take-offs and 1 landing. I noticed, bearing in mind what @blazemonger said above about touch-downs and rotation points, that during take-offs from 26L, the stutters are nowhere near the rotation point, but at a fixed place well before rotation. which also effects landing aircraft (there is only 1 landing shown).

When taking off from 26R however, there is a very noticeable 'pause' almost exactly on the rotation point. This could be coincidence, or it could just be down to the physical position on the runway (much like 26L), who knows?

Cheers

logs.zip

1 hour ago, FeelThere said:

Thank you Folk, we are actively monitoring this topic. 

Blaze: good one :) Useless fact: we almost became "feel right there" only the domain was taken already :)

Vic

Good move, as I reckon I could be posting a completely different sort of video based on your original naming idea .......... ;-p

• 2 years later...

A couple of years too late for this one, I found the thread while searching for something else.

The short answer is that it's a program bug.

The long answer:
It has nothing to do with video drivers etc. The model for the plane is lagging behind the calculated position of the plane and moves towards the calculated position on every frame. This is a standard way of moving models in a networked game. However, the plane model is moving towards the calculated position slower than the calculated position is moving, thus the model starts to lag more and more behind where it should be. When this gap reaches more than 200 ft then the plane model snaps to the calculated position and the cycle starts again.