The simFlight Network Forums

Novice FSUIPC user

First of all I would like to say what a very helpful chap Sergey is.

I bought his throttle conversion kit and he spent 3 hours via team viewer setting it up for me.

I would not like to describe myself as a novice just a 62 year old retired guy who is trying to build a simulator. P3DV2 PMDG 737.

WOULD SOME ONE BE VERY KIND AND TELL ME.

How to switch the led on and off for the speed brake.

I intend to use my registered copy of FSUIPC. 

And are all the switches identified using their keyboard strokes.

Please keep it simple although I used to repair CNC machinery medication and age has dulled my mind.

Best regards

Les Trickett 

First of all I would like to say what a very helpful chap Sergey is.

I bought his throttle conversion kit and he spent 3 hours via team viewer setting it up for me.

I would not like to describe myself as a novice just a 62 year old retired guy who is trying to build a simulator. P3DV2 PMDG 737.

WOULD SOME ONE BE VERY KIND AND TELL ME.

And are all the switches identified using their keyboard strokes.

Please keep it simple although I used to repair CNC machinery medication and age has dulled my mind.

Best regards

Les Trickett 

2 hours ago, les trickett said:

"led". Care to explain? What "led" exactly?

If you are thinking that LED can drive displays or LEDs itself, then, sorry, no. there are no facilities in FSUIPC for driving display outputs.

BTW, you say you are a "novice" in the title, but that is all you say! And you didn't post in a Support Forum at all! I have moved it for you.

It you want to get relevant replaies you ALWAYS need to put a meaningful subject in the title. "Novice FSUIPC User" only gets my attention as the author of the programs supported here and I try to answer everything in any case. But giving it a meaningful title might attract folks who can actually answer your questions more helpfully.

Okay?

Pete

Sorry Peter. 

I really don't know what I am doing yet.

I have not meant to cause offence.

I am just trying to use Fsuipc that I have purchased from you.

All I wanted to know at this early stage was if it was possible to switch an led on and off using fsuipc and or spadnext which I have also purchased.

I am very new to all this and  only asking for help EVERYONE  has to start somewhere.

Regards

Les Trickett 

1 hour ago, les trickett said:

I have not meant to cause offence.

No offence taken at all! Why do you think that?

All I wanted to know at this early stage was if it was possible to switch an led on and off using fsuipc and or spadnext which I have also purchased.

Not from FSUIPC itself. I'm afraid I don't know SPAD so maybe that will do it. Sorry! I really don't know everything about other programs.

If SPAD have no support, I think it best to post again with a question with SPAD in the title -- then folks who may know might answer when they spot it. 

I am very new to all this and  only asking for help EVERYONE  has to start somewhere.

Yes, I understand that, and i was trying to answer and help you help yourself. Did you not see the part where I said " there are no facilities in FSUIPC for driving display outputs"?

I am 62 years old don't have a clue about forums Facebook or the like.

Well, I am 75 and don't know anything about Facebook. i had to learn a bit about forums in order to offer technical support. But they aren't my creation.

Your reply has distressed me immensey

Join the club. I get very upset by some posts I get here. I'm sorry you took what I thought was a helpful and constructive post in reply to you. The only thing i told you off about was posting three copies of exactly the same text! Surely you can understand that makes no sense and only clutters things up and potentially irritates? I started replying to a second one before I realised it was the same as another I'd seen!

Pete

21 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

THREE POSTS all exactly the same, and two stupidly entitled "Les Trickett"? What on Earth is that supposed to mean?

I've deleted one of them and merged the other two. Please behave more sensibly in the future!

Pete

In 1978 to 1988 I was in RAF flying real aircraft.

I had a nasty accident with a parachute. It left me with atrophy of the frontal lobes. I was unconscious for 3 months and in and out of hospital since.

I still managed to set up and run my own company fixing cnc machinery for 35 years bringing up 4 children and now my grandkids. 

Four years ago I was diagnosed with advanced prosrate cancer and had a radical prostectomy 

Early this year I was informed I would have to have half my bowels removed and fitted with a bag. In the hope I may survive more than the two to three years I have been told

I must admit I did let myself get depressed. 

I am on morphine paracetamol tramadol and gabapentin to control pain.

My life expectancy is not great.

My son bought me P3D blackbox A3 20 and some PMDG aircraft. 

He also bought me all the saitek panels and controls.

To help take my mind off things

The multipanel was useless as whrer Logitech and I was told I needed to buy spadnext and your software to make them work.

Recently I bought Sergey'throttle conversion.  I had difficulties with the instructions and the video's. 

Sergey spent 3 hours patiently helping me to set it up via team viewer. 

Now I will never fly again for real and I cannot afford to make a top flight simulator.

But with the help of all the engineers I have helped over the years they have made me various components free of charge.

I would love to be able to learn your software inside out but I never will.

All I asked was for some common courtesy and a little help to master what I can.

Should you not wish to help that is your perogative. 

Yours sincerely 

Les Trickett 

Hi,

as the SPAD.next page says

Simulations Supported by FSX/Prepar3D Edition: FSX, FSX:SE , FSW, P3D v2.5 , P3D v3, P3D v4
SimConnect required for: PMDG, A2A , Q400, FIP Support
FSUIPC + FSConnect required for: WILCO Support

SPAD.next uses FSUIPC for some Aircraft add-ons. It means the setup or control of hardware like build-in LED's is done via SPAD.next and not via FSUIPC. What you asked for in your first post is actually handled by SPAD.next and not by FSUIPC.

Thomas

All I asked was for some common courtesy and a little help to master what I can.

Should you not wish to help that is your perogative. 

And I helped as much as I could! I said that FSUIPC does not support infdciators, and that I do not know SPAD at all. I am sorry but I really do not know everything 😞 

I did suggest what you could do to find more help. I really don't know what more I can do, and I think it is quite mean of you trying to play on folks' sympathies in such matters by giving your terrible life history. many of us have problems. i could not fly for real because of an hereditary eye disease, the biggest disappointment of my life, and that is why I got into Flight Simulation. I sympathise, but I cannot help more that i have done!!!

I see Thomas confirms that SPAD will help with your need, but I myself do not know the program at all (as I've now said several times).

Pete

May be we should start again.

I missed your other replies.

And as I said I really didn't mean to cause offence.

I will get use to using forums but it all takes time

Answers to the simplest questions help.

Can I use latching switches.

I.e. with the parking brake latch on to switch on and off to arm parking brake.

I have already decided to use a 24vdc power supply and relays to operate led lights.

Les

32 minutes ago, les trickett said:

Can I use latching switches.

I.e. with the parking brake latch on to switch on and off to arm parking brake.

Unfortunately the simulator-supplied control for Parking Brake is a toggle (i.e. one control for both on and off). However you can do it by using FSUIPC's "offsets" instead. Offsets are locations in memory where FSUIPC stores data for programs to read, but when the same locations are written it acts upon them.

Offsets and their values are listed in a document in your FSUIPC Documents folder (inside the FS Modules folder), but I can show you here exactly what to do:

In Buttons & Switches tab, assign the Press (= On for a latch) to
"Offset Word Set" with the Parameter entry set to 32767 and the Offset entry set to xBC8.

Then, on the same entry, program the Release (= Off for a latch) to
"Offset Word Set" with the Parameter entry set to 0 and the Offset entry set to xBC8.

That's what I do for my Parking Brake lever.

Pete

Thank you Peter.

It is much appreciated. 

Do each buttons have seperate parameters and if so is there a list of them in your manual.

It does take a bit for me to get my head around things these days.

I find it very frustrating. 

But I won't give in once I have the basics of how your progrm works it will be great.

I see there is a lot of potential in your program.

I will have a play around with it and see how it goes

Best regards 

Les

Do each buttons have seperate parameters and if so is there a list of them in your manual.

No. All CONTROLS (not "buttons" which are the physical things you are assigning) have parameters, but not many of them use them. Where they do (as in controls with "SET" at the end) it is usually, but not always, obvious what the parameter would be.

For many controls i really have no idea about parameters. The controls list is generated automatically from within your simulator -- and in the case of P3D4 it is still expanding. There's know way I can even know what they all do.

It does take a bit for me to get my head around things these days.

Well, in the above case just do wht I suggeted.

Think I have it I just assign the buttons as per the keystrokes then use a free offset

Please just do it as I said. And NOT a "free offset" -- the Parking Brake is ONLY controlled by the offset I showed in my instructions.

"Free offsets" are for your use, for whatever you like. FSUIPC doesn't act upon them.

Pete

8 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Unfortunately the simulator-supplied control for Parking Brake is a toggle (i.e. one control for both on and off). However you can do it by using FSUIPC's "offsets" instead. Offsets are locations in memory where FSUIPC stores data for programs to read, but when the same locations are written it acts upon them.

Offsets and their values are listed in a document in your FSUIPC Documents folder (inside the FS Modules folder), but I can show you here exactly what to do:

"Offset Word Set" with the Parameter entry set to 32767 and the Offset entry set to xBC8.

"Offset Word Set" with the Parameter entry set to 0 and the Offset entry set to xBC8.

Pete

Baby steps first eh.

Will do exactly as you say

Will try when I get home just got into lanzarote wife been working to hard she needs a break

And thanks

Les

On 6/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, Pete Dowson said:

No. All CONTROLS (not "buttons" which are the physical things you are assigning) have parameters, but not many of them use them. Where they do (as in controls with "SET" at the end) it is usually, but not always, obvious what the parameter would be.

For many controls i really have no idea about parameters. The controls list is generated automatically from within your simulator -- and in the case of P3D4 it is still expanding. There's know way I can even know what they all do.

Well, in the above case just do wht I suggeted.

Please just do it as I said. And NOT a "free offset" -- the Parking Brake is ONLY controlled by the offset I showed in my instructions.

"Free offsets" are for your use, for whatever you like. FSUIPC doesn't act upon them.

Pete

Well good news Peter after watching countless YouTube videos.

I can now do mouse macro onwards and upwards.

Will have this thing cracked by the time I'm 80.

It's cheaper to buy a real plane and a dam site easier to fly one.

You guys have my upmost admiration. 

Some of the builds I have seen are fantastic

Regards

Les

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:50 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Pete

Hi Peter.

Re the above do i just move the toggle switch I want as my Parking Brake in buttons and switches then  then do what you said above.

Sorry to be asking simple questions 

I have bought a leobodnar BBI 64 buttons box and a 

FlightSimulatorParts Boeing 737 EFIS 

With no idea how to connect it am going to run parking brake through it and some other switches and hopefully some rotary encoders.

I thing I have the idea of a 30 degree rotary encoder I think i need 12 pulses

(360÷12)

I have eventually got my head around mouse macros.

I did email the suppliers of the EFIS for installation instructions but no reply.

I came across a 2011 instruction from you for installing encoders but try as I might couldn't follow the thread and it didn't say how to tie it in with fsuipc.

I would like to say I'm not going to build a full 737 cockpit much as I would like to.

I just want to fit the basic set of switches that would be used to get it in the air

Best regards 

Les

3 hours ago, les trickett said:

I came across a 2011 instruction from you for installing encoders but try as I might couldn't follow the thread and it didn't say how to tie it in with fsuipc.

Rotary encoders are either easy, or hard. There are two different types. The example in the FSUIPC Advanced Users guide is for the hard type.

The "easy" type merely give you one button press or release per "click" in one direction, and a different button pree or release per click in the other direction. So you just assign to the two buttons separately, assigning both to press and release so that each click does something. 

The "hard" type give the same two button press/release in both directions, and you have to determine the direction by the phasing of the changes. I can't explain that here -- you need to see a waveform type diagram to understand it. The example in the Advanced Guide is all about that type, and is there to show one interesting use of Compound Conditional) button assignments.

I just want to fit the basic set of switches that would be used to get it in the air

Easiest way, probably, but not necessarily the cheapest, is to use read-made units like the Goflight ones. FSUIPC supports GoFlight switch and button panels directly, including the rotaries on devices like the RP48 -- those provide 4 buttons, two per direction (slow and fast operation). (The same can be done for other rotaries, via a Lua plug-in -- rotaries.lua, in your FSUIPC Documents folder, does this. If is for the RP48, but can be applied to any device quuuuuite easily).

I didn't realise how close to you  I am. I live  in Abergele.

Well, not close in UK terms -- a different country, even! 😉  But, yes, close compared with our American friends.

It would be nice at some point to actually meet you and see your set up

Well, why not go to the FS Show at Cosford. I go with Ray Proudfoot every year. We're also going to Lelystad again this year. both excellent events for Flight Simming hardware and software. And good aircraft museums too!

Pete

Dear Peter. 

Fortunately I have a good frIend who owns industrial encoders direct at Wrexham. 

He has chips that can sort the difficult ones.

If any one needs them they are cheap and easy to use.

I don't know why things seem to go in one ear and out the other.

I got the hang of mouse macros then forgot the next day.

Hi Peter

I thought I had got the mouse macro but whenever I try to select a switch say chime I create maco then go to P3d.

I get something similar to this

Sim Connect Message window

Making Macro files: "CHIME"

Rectangle 131455, click type 10

Press Tab to Test

if okay enter name (else press esc)

………………….

The tab doesn't activate switch if I try another switch nothing happens.

where am I going wrong 

I have tried it in both 2d cockpit and virtual cockpit

Les