The simFlight Network Forums

Help with Taxi to cross runways

B737max

is there a way you can give permission to cross runways, for example runway 25L at LAX after landing aircraft and i give instruction to taxi via H M B i do realize the aircraft stops short of the runway 25R is there a way to give clearance to allow the aircraft NOT to stop and continue taxi across?

Thanks

54 minutes ago, B737max said:

is there a way you can give permission to cross runways, for example runway 25L at LAX after landing aircraft and i give instruction to taxi via H M B i do realize the aircraft stops short of the runway 25R is there a way to give clearance to allow the aircraft NOT to stop and continue taxi across?

Thanks

Yep, kind of a weird way of doing it, but you have to give them a hold short command for a different runway or taxiway.

If they land, for example at LAX on 24R and you want them to cross 24L without stopping, give them a TAXI TO RAMP/TERMINAL command with route of your choice and then, once the route has loaded, give them a "HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY 25R" command.  If you give a command to hold short of a runway or taxiway that is further down the line, they will cross all holding points in between, even if that aircraft will not taxi to that side of the airport.  Works really well.

Here is a quick photo I made. Notice the commands on the top and the bottom of the picture. 

Hope that helps!

uXq4Tbz.png

• Thanks 1

so just to make sure i understand, if i give command to taxi to terminal from lets say Z off of 24R they will cross 24L, but if i say taxi to terminal VIA Z E D8 then they will hold short of 24L, as you suggested give second command to hold short of 24L, my issue is there is too many commands being used, i was hoping while the aircraft exit Z and i gave instructions to taxi via Z E and while taxing i give command taxi to terminal the aircraft wont stop at 24L 

The way you suggested if aircraft is departing intersecting runway it could be an issue just to give taxi to terminal command.  i hope i am making sense.  here is another thought

several aircrafts are holding short of 25R at M when i give United 1234 instructions to cross american 1234 is behind them and it moves up to the hold short line of 25R, before american 1234 reaches the hold line and i give instructions to cross it wont it still stops then i have to give the command again to cross, or i need to wait till it get to the hold short line then give instructions. 

You have to give the HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY/TAXIWAY XX command to each aircraft if you want it to cross the runway without stopping. 

Normally,  if they are taxiing on taxiway Hotel, and their route to the terminal is H M B, they will stop at Runway 25R.  You will then have to give a "CONTINUE TAXI" clearance to get them across.

If you want them to cross 25R without stopping, then you need to say "HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY 24L" prior to them stopping at the hold short line for 25R.  They will then keep rolling.

Make sense?  A bit weird, I know, but that's how you do it.  I wish I could remember who I saw post this a long time ago.  Credit goes to them!

2 minutes ago, CL30 said:

You have to give the HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY/TAXIWAY XX command to each aircraft if you want it to cross the runway without stopping. 

Normally,  if they are taxiing on taxiway Hotel, and their route to the terminal is H M B, they will stop at Runway 25R.  You will then have to give a "CONTINUE TAXI" clearance to get them across.

If you want them to cross 25R without stopping, then you need to say "HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY 24L" prior to them stopping at the hold short line for 25R.  They will then keep rolling.

Make sense?  A bit weird, I know, but that's how you do it.  I wish I could remember who I saw post this a long time ago.  Credit goes to them!

Thanks for the info

For further clarification:

• If an aircraft has already stopped at a hold short line, CONTINUE TAXI command is needed to move them across the runway.
  • If an aircraft is still rolling and has not reached the hold short line, give the HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY XX command and they will taxi across the runway without stopping.  The hold short command has to be for the runway on the other side of the airport, even though they will never taxi over there.

B737Max,

There is another side effect to this "hold short of runway/taxiway" you should be aware of (some people know it, some do not).  Since you have an LAX map up I will use that.  Let's say you have a GA departure in the South Pads. N12MS, so you send him to 25R for departure, "Taxi via A, N, H, P, B" so he taxis to 25L and stops.  There is AAL25 landing on 25L and exits at H4,  so you "AAL 25 Taxi to ramp via H, P, C."  then "AAL25 Hold short of taxiway N" so you can get N12MS across the runway while you have time.  So N12MS crosses runway 25L and you tell it "N12MS hold short of runway 24L" so it also crosses runway 25R without stopping. 

Next you tell AAL25 to "continue taxi", IT WILL NOT STOP at 25R.  After you tell a plane to "hold short of taxiway/runway" they will not stop at any runways when you issue a "continue taxi" command, unless you tell them to.  If you let them stop at a runway by themselves, then issue "continue taxi" they will stop at the next runway after the "continue taxi"

In this same example if you had said "N12MS hold short of Runway 25L"  Then issued a "continue taxi", N12MS would not stop at 25R.  But if N12MS stops at 25L by himself, then you issue continue taxi, he will also hold short of 25R by himself.

Hope that makes sense.

I guess my issue is it would have been nice while landed aircraft is given instructions for example off of 25L to taxi to terminal via H M B C6 then while taxing between the runways on H and and prior to stopping on M short of 25R is given clearance to continue taxi the aircraft reads back BUT still stops short of the runway why cant the aircraft while taxing and reads back the clearance continues to cross 25R WHY stop short even though i have cleared to continue taxi.  this is the issue i have, i guess thats how the program is written.  thanks for all the posts.

10 hours ago, Peabody said:

There is another side effect to this "hold short of runway/taxiway" you should be aware of (some people know it, some do not).  Since you have an LAX map up I will use that.  Let's say you have a GA departure in the South Pads. N12MS, so you send him to 25R for departure, "Taxi via A, N, H, P, B" so he taxis to 25L and stops.  There is AAL25 landing on 25L and exits at H4,  so you "AAL 25 Taxi to ramp via H, P, C."  then "AAL25 Hold short of taxiway N" so you can get N12MS across the runway while you have time.  So N12MS crosses runway 25L and you tell it "N12MS hold short of runway 24L" so it also crosses runway 25R without stopping. 

Next you tell AAL25 to "continue taxi", IT WILL NOT STOP at 25R.  After you tell a plane to "hold short of taxiway/runway" they will not stop at any runways when you issue a "continue taxi" command, unless you tell them to.  If you let them stop at a runway by themselves, then issue "continue taxi" they will stop at the next runway after the "continue taxi"

In this same example if you had said "N12MS hold short of Runway 25L"  Then issued a "continue taxi", N12MS would not stop at 25R.  But if N12MS stops at 25L by himself, then you issue continue taxi, he will also hold short of 25R by himself.

This side effect has burned me a number of times for a -1000 penalty. For example at KLAX, I'm doing departures from 25R@F, most of my planes are coming up Bravo but I have one coming up C. I issued a hold short of taxiway bravo to prevent a collision at that intersection. I give the plane coming off of  bravo a line up and wait, then I give the one holding short of bravo a continue taxi. A few seconds later - bang, the second plane has driven straight into the side of the one lined up and waiting on 25R. I think to avoid this I'd have to first tell the second plane to hold short of runway 25R and then tell it to continue taxi. Of course after the collision I end up having to delete one or both of the involved planes and do 100 takeoffs and landings to make up the penalty points.