The simFlight Network Forums

2nd Monitor popups don't open

NoodleNoggin

Just bought the Steam version of Tower!3D Pro, as well as a couple of add-on airports to try out. I can't get the three panels to open into the 2nd monitor popups. None of the three will open. There's a popup that opens for about 1/2 a second before it closes again. Captured the logs for all three and have attached the files. 

mmwindow.zip

2 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Please make sure your firewall or antivirus is not blocking the program. You can try disabling them for a short test.

Vic

I have tried that. It's not preventing the windows from opening. They open, then immediately close.

As someone who runs with a second monitor, I get the second screen open, then it randomly closes after a short while. I have done all the usual checks, it gets just a bit frustrating if you're somewhere like KATL on a rush.

11 hours ago, P057code said:

As someone who runs with a second monitor, I get the second screen open, then it randomly closes after a short while. I have done all the usual checks, it gets just a bit frustrating if you're somewhere like KATL on a rush.

Unfortunately, mine closes after about 1/2 a second, every single time I try to open it.

Is the window still in the taskbar after disappearing?

I have had a problem where i minimise the ADIRS window, then shut the program down.

Everytime i open the pop out window it will minimise automatically.

To get round this i open a second pop out window and close the first one.

10 hours ago, hexzed said:

Is the window still in the taskbar after disappearing?

I have had a problem where i minimise the ADIRS window, then shut the program down.

Everytime i open the pop out window it will minimise automatically.

To get round this i open a second pop out window and close the first one.

No, it does not remain in the task bar. 

Just for info

I used to have this problem, and had to open the ADIRs window 4 to 6 times before it would stick open on the 2nd monitor

It's been OK for many many months now. I've had a good 4 NVidia drivers since it stopped, and it's still OK (I have no idea whether is was a video driver issue)

When I close the game, I never close or re-dock the ADIRs window back to the main monitor. When I start the game, there is a small ADIR's window open, I undock it, it expands to a large screen (probably nearly 1080p), then automatically moves itself to the 2nd monitor. So the window size/position must be memorised/saved.

My main screen is 1440p and the 2nd screen is 1080p

1 hour ago, jumpjet777 said:

Just for info

I used to have this problem, and had to open the ADIRs window 4 to 6 times before it would stick open on the 2nd monitor

It's been OK for many many months now. I've had a good 4 NVidia drivers since it stopped, and it's still OK (I have no idea whether is was a video driver issue)

When I close the game, I never close or re-dock the ADIRs window back to the main monitor. When I start the game, there is a small ADIR's window open, I undock it, it expands to a large screen (probably nearly 1080p), then automatically moves itself to the 2nd monitor. So the window position must be memorised/saved.

My main screen is 1440p and the 2nd screen is 1080p

Gave it a try with no luck. Tried opening each popup about 15 times with no success. Same thing every time. Opens for about a 1/3 of a second, then closes. 

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm running dual 1080p monitors.

19 minutes ago, NoodleNoggin said:

Gave it a try with no luck. Tried opening each popup about 15 times with no success. Same thing every time. Opens for about a 1/3 of a second, then closes. 

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm running dual 1080p monitors.

I was using dual 1080p monitors at the time had the problem, but it 'fixed itself' (don't know why) before I got the 1440p one, I only recently got the 1440p monitor.

I just mentioned the 4 to 6 times as a possibility, as I could have easily gave up after trying 2 or 3 times, not knowing that If I tried some more, it would eventually work.

I wish I knew the real reason why the problem disappeared ........... good luck 🙂

@NoodleNoggin, we checked the logs. You tried to open the multi window 5 times and something closed it. It's almost certain you have some antivirus and/or firewall that prevents the communication between Tower and its windows. Please make a very meticulous verification of any possible firewalls, antivirus, or any other program that may be affecting the game.  

• Upvote 1

I've got that issue on my tablet (second screen via Android app ), check for background programs tampering with network, also check windows firewall if the Tower3d.exe and mmwindow.exe has the acces to internet (working internally not through internet but still on localhost...) 
Try to put "run as administrator" "change settings for all users" in compatibility tab not only Tower3d.exe but also mmwindow.exe in Tower3d pro/mmwindow subfolder.
It helped me a while ago.

Well, I finally found the culprit: Acronis True Image 2018. Apparently, when you install Acronis True Image, it also installs an anti-ransomware product called Active Protection without telling you. Nor does Active Protection provide you with any notifications that it has blocked anything else from running. I went through and examined every single running process and application on my system. I skipped over Acronis multiple times because it's supposed to just be backup software. And I had already verified repeatedly that Windows Defender firewall and anti-virus weren't blocking it.

It wasn't until I actually went through everything the third time and finally looked at Acronis that I found the screen that listed Tower!3D's running processes as suspicious that I figured it out. Once I added tower3d.exe, mmwindow.exe and towerspeakbridge.exe as exceptions the 2nd monitor popups started working.