The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick Grief! [1600M FSC hat problem]

Hi, Peter and Anyone Else Who Can Help!

I can't figure out how to get the hat button on my Thrustmaster 1600M FSC joystick to work properly.  It did when I first installed it a couple of weeks ago, but now it only works in one direction -- Up!  I've reinstalled the latest version of P3D and the joystick several times, but no luck.  Today I purchased FSUICP5 figuring it would override any native bindings in P3D but it didn't.   The major problem is that I'm just not very computer savvy.  I know I must be missing something in the settings either in FSUICP5, but I haven't got clue what it is.  I'd really appreciate step-by-step instructions for setting up the bindings so I can  pan with the hat button in all directions like it did when I first installed the joystick.  I'm trying to get it to with the A2A Cessna 172 add-on.

3 hours ago, sfetbrandt said:

Hi, Peter and Anyone Else Who Can Help!

You wouldn't get help in the User Contributions forum, which is a reference repository for useful stuff from users. Please always post questions in the Support Forum. I've moved it for you.

Rather than entitle your question "Joystick Grief!" you need to state the specific problem so that you get folks who might actually know the answers to respond. e.g "1600M FSC hat problem". I'll see if i can change it for you.

3 hours ago, sfetbrandt said:

I can't figure out how to get the hat button on my Thrustmaster 1600M FSC joystick to work properly.  It did when I first installed it a couple of weeks ago, but now it only works in one direction -- Up!

Either you changed something, orit is broken. 

What are you trying to do with the hat? If you want to use it for Panning the view, assign to Pan View, either in P3D or in FSUIPC axis assignments. If it doesn't work in P3D then it won't in FSUIPC. FSUIPC provides more options, but it can't do things which P3D refuses to do.

Pete

Thank you for the response, Pete.

I'm new to all of this, including the forums, I'm kinda stumbling around and trying to find my way.  As for assigning the pan view, I've tried that a gazillion times in P3D in the key and buttons assignment list of P3D.  I assign  the hat to "View (pan)," it shows the hat bound but the hat will only move the view up incrementally with each press of the button.  It won't move the cockpit view back down or sideways.  I tried to figure out if the hat was broken by temporary assigning it to different functions and that worked fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not a mechanical malfunction but rather something messed up with the binding routine in P3D.  I need someone knowledgeable to walk me through the steps to remove and regenerate P3D's program files that control the bindings.  I think my best shot is to trash whatever script is messed up and let P3D or FSUIPC rebuild it.  I just don't know which files to dump to get a clean start.  ...You mentioned assigning the axis either in P3D or FSUIPC?  Isn't that what I just described or is it a different procedure?

Edited by sfetbrandt

5 minutes ago, sfetbrandt said:

As for assigning the pan view, I've tried that a gazillion times in P3D in the key and buttons assignment list of P3D.  I assign  the hat to "View (pan)," it shows the hat bound but the hat will only move the view up incrementally with each press of the button.  It won't move the cockpit view back down or sideways.

You don't "press a hat" you move it around like a joystick. It sounds like it isn't actually a Hat!

6 minutes ago, sfetbrandt said:

I tried to figure out if the hat was broken by temporary assigning it to different functions and that worked fine

Worked fine to do what? What else could you do with a Hat?

6 minutes ago, sfetbrandt said:

I'm pretty sure it's not a mechanical malfunction but rather something messed up with the binding routine in P3D. 

No, that wouldn't mess up FSUIPC's use of Pan View. The Pan axis is not a binding, it is inbuilt code withing the main parts of P3D.

FSUIPC (but not P3D) can also treat a true "hat" as up to 8 buttons. Check in FSUIPC button assignments to see whether that sees a different button number for each direction of the hat.

9 minutes ago, sfetbrandt said:

I think my best shot is to trash whatever script is messed up and let P3D or FSUIPC rebuild it.

There's no "script" involved in an assignment. You just assign. if you make a different assignment it changes. It is just one line in a text file, and records your assignment. that's it. no point in finding it and deleting it.

11 minutes ago, sfetbrandt said:

You mentioned assigning the axis either in P3D or FSUIPC?  Isn't that what I just described or is it a different procedure?

Since I've no idea what you are actually doing, i couldn't possibly comment on this. Sorry.

If you have problems with P3D you really need to be asking in the AVSIM P3D forum. If you think you've broken P3D (very unlikely) you need to ask in the Lockheed Martin P3D support forum.

Pete