The simFlight Network Forums

FAA PLANES

Peabody

While making a custom schedule for KLAS I saw a plane N1. Doing some research I found that N1 thru N99 are reserved for FAA internal use. It was assigned to a Gulfstream IV. There was no callsign so would this be addressed as November 1,  Gulfstream 1, or is there a special callsign for FAA planes, I could not find that info.  Any help appreciated.

Peabody

3 hours ago, Peabody said:

While making a custom schedule for KLAS I saw a plane N1. Doing some research I found that N1 thru N99 are reserved for FAA internal use. It was assigned to a Gulfstream IV. There was no callsign so would this be addressed as November 1,  Gulfstream 1, or is there a special callsign for FAA planes, I could not find that info.  Any help appreciated.

Peabody

I can't say for certain that all of these planes go by the same call sign, but I do know a lot of them go by "Flight Check."  They fly around the system and check/inspect instrument approach procedures, airports, facilities, etc.  I went through International Procedures Training in Dallas last Fall and there were two guys in my class that did this.  They were in a Challenger 601 most of the time, but they flew Lears in the past if I remember right.  There are all kinds of aircraft types, however.

6 minutes ago, pete_agreatguy said:

If there is an "N" prior to a given number / with or without letters you simply use the latter as the callsign minus the beginning "November".

i.e. N843GS would be "eight four three golf seria" or N1 would be "one" in your situation 🙂

True, except for the fact that aircraft, including N-registered numbers, can have callsigns.

1 hour ago, CL30 said:

True, except for the fact that aircraft, including N-registered numbers, can have callsigns.

I thought all US planes had N registration numbers even though they don't use them, they use callsigns like American, Delta, etc. From what I could find, if I had to guess, and it's only a guess, if the N1 did not have a callsign, i would think they would use Gulfstream 1 rather then just "1". I have heard it on ATC at small airports where other pilots looking for traffic know what they are looking for. One I saw on youtube  was "BaronxxxMC", after that was established they used xxMC.

2 hours ago, Peabody said:

I thought all US planes had N registration numbers even though they don't use them, they use callsigns like American, Delta, etc. From what I could find, if I had to guess, and it's only a guess, if the N1 did not have a callsign, i would think they would use Gulfstream 1 rather then just "1". I have heard it on ATC at small airports where other pilots looking for traffic know what they are looking for. One I saw on youtube  was "BaronxxxMC", after that was established they used xxMC.

Yes, all have N-numbers (if US registered), but not all have callsigns.  Typically, it's airlines, charter companies, cargo operators, etc that use callsigns.  As a private company, we go by our N-numbers, but we did look into callsigns a while back (not a requirement).  

Upon first contact with ATC, you're supposed to state your full N-number.  Ex: Baron 123MC.  After that, you can shorten it to "3MC."  

Off to bed, but holler if you need anymore clarification!  😉