The simFlight Network Forums

How does approach determine which runway to assign arrivals?

pete_agreatguy

How exactly does the approach determine which runway to assign the next arrival aircraft, which isn't already on approach?

AND ... What happens with the next arrival aircraft (which isn't already on approach) when you re-assign a different runway to the already inbound aircraft? Does changing the pre-assigned runway affect how the next arrival aircraft's runway assignment will be determined?

Thanks in advance :)

4 hours ago, pete_agreatguy said:

How exactly does the approach determine which runway to assign the next arrival aircraft, which isn't already on approach?

I believe FeelThere mentioned under normal circumstances they assign the runway based on parking assignments (the runway closer to the plane's gate). However, under busier times I think it become a little more more random based on separation.

4 hours ago, pete_agreatguy said:

What happens with the next arrival aircraft (which isn't already on approach) when you re-assign a different runway to the already inbound aircraft? Does changing the pre-assigned runway affect how the next arrival aircraft's runway assignment will be determined?

I have seen that issuing the ENTER FINAL RUNWAY command on on arrival before the following arrival appears on the DBRITE can definitely delay when the the following arrival spawns. And with the sim's focus on separation, I wouldn't be surprised if it impacts the following arrival's runway either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crbascott said:

I believe FeelThere mentioned under normal circumstances they assign the runway based on parking assignments (the runway closer to the plane's gate). However, under busier times I think it become a little more more random based on separation.

My initial assumption was this from what I have witness during gameplay. thank you for clarifying.

3 hours ago, crbascott said:

I have seen that issuing the ENTER FINAL RUNWAY command on on arrival before the following arrival appears on the DBRITE can definitely delay when the the following arrival spawns. And with the sim's focus on separation, I wouldn't be surprised if it impacts the following arrival's runway either.

This is exactly what I thought as well but wasn't sure; hence the query.

Thanks again :)

On 8/13/2018 at 4:48 PM, 707FAN said:

Interesting, MCO might be a good one to try this on as the terminals and runways are on opposite sides of the airport. I will try it & see if the aircraft spawn to the most suitable runway to their terminals

Kev M

I tried MCO 1348-1500.  RWY 36L & 35R. About 26 arrivals (I might have missed recording the runway on a couple of them) only 3 were to the wrong runway, 2 JBU, 1 AAL.

I moved the AAL from 35R to 36R & allowed the JBU's to land on 35R & taxi via twy J. In some ways it eased the flow to Airside 1. All A/C traveled CCW instead of arrivals & Departures going opposite direction form/to Airside 1 terminal.

Not bad really & did make to a little easier as it lowered the traffic on 36L as most arrivals are on that side.

Kev M

Yesterday I completed a two-hour session at KBOS using the NW flow operating configuration with the arrivals set to 33L, 32 & 27 (but not 33R), see slide 16 of the attached presentation: http://massportcac.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Final-BOS-Update-MCAC-Logan-101-060817.pdf

I did not do the session as an experiment of any sort, I was just having a routine go, but having seen Kev's post I thought I would chip in my penny's worth. I would estimate that the arrivals at KBOS over the session were as follows:

32 (5%), 33L (15%), 27 (80%) so I didn't see much of the "runway balance" mention by Vic.