The simFlight Network Forums

Running MakeRunways 4.82

2 hours ago, surfcandy said:

Should MakeRunways be run again whenever scenery files change, addons added /removed especially airports etc. or just once?

Depends why you are using it. Obviously if an airport is added, removed or changed then the previous generated data for that airport will be wrong. If nothing cares about that then there's no need to generate new files. But then if that is the case why did you generate them in the first place?

2 hours ago, surfcandy said:

Also if running again should I download and extract a new zip file within the sim again?

Why would you want to replace an existing up to date program with the same up to date program? I don't understand why you ask this question.

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Depends why you are using it. Obviously if an airport is added, removed or changed then the previous generated data for that airport will be wrong. If nothing cares about that then there's no need to generate new files. But then if that is the case why did you generate them in the first place?

Why would you want to replace an existing up to date program with the same up to date program? I don't understand why you ask this question.

Pete

Thanks, what about if I have Orbx Vector installed which one should run last makerunways or Orbtx Vector Airport Elevation Corrections?

Edited by surfcandy

1 hour ago, surfcandy said:

Thanks, what about if I have Orbx Vector installed which one should run last makerunways or Orbtx Vector Airport Elevation Corrections?

Assuming the elevation corrections change something to do with airports (if not, what do they do?), then obviously MakeRunways last. Else you'd get the wrong elevations in the data, wouldn't you!?

Please do think a little about these things before posting such questions.

Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Assuming the elevation corrections change something to do with airports (if not, what do they do?), then obviously MakeRunways last. Else you'd get the wrong elevations in the data, wouldn't you!?

Please do think a little about these things before posting such questions.

Pete

I really don't understand your answer.Did I miss something? You are asking if it has to do with airports and it's called Orbx Vector Airport Elevation Corrections.  It adjusts airport elevations from the sim/3rd party airport scenery  that may cause conflicts with the Orbx Vector's huge scenery package that many people have for PD3v4 and FSX. 

So if makerunways adjusts elevation in anyway that question remains which program should be run last. Thanks 

28 minutes ago, surfcandy said:

I really don't understand your answer.Did I miss something? You are asking if it has to do with airports and it's called Orbx Vector Airport Elevation Corrections.  It adjusts airport elevations from the sim/3rd party airport scenery 

So it changes airports. Do you want MakeRunways data to take those changes into account or not???

29 minutes ago, surfcandy said:

So if makerunways adjusts elevation

MakeRunways changes NOTHING!!!   Why on Earth are you using it?   It merely extracts data from your scenery for other programs to use. That is all. If you have nothing needing that data DO NOT USE IT!!!

Folks only download and use the program because they are using a program where the instructions say to do so!

Pete

Hello Surfcandy,

If I can try and assist: A number of programs (eg. Super Traffic Board, Prosim) have MakeRunways 'built in' (supplied within their download). You go into their configuration and press something like 'Update database'. It will run MakeRunways and replace the files, from the suite of files MakeRunways creates, (that it needs to reference), into it's database collection.

Some other programs expect you to remember to run Makerunways separately (PF3-ATC, RaaS etc. I believe) and copy the updated data into it's database area.

Whenever I buy new Orbx scenery, I routinely go around and update the databases in the other navigation based add-ons that I have. (often the number of Airfields and Start Positions increase) This is where it is important to keep the addon packages that have Makerunways 'built in' updated as well, because they will be including the latest version of Peter's work in their updates.

If your addon asked you to run MakeRunways back when you installed it, I would consider running it again and transferring the couple of files, as you did way back then.

Hope that helps.  Thank you Peter for all your work.