The simFlight Network Forums

Saitek Rudder Pedals Issue - not able to calibrate

Hi all.

Is this now simply an issue I have to deal with ?

Basically, I can only use Direct FS axis with all my aircraft in P3D v4.3.

Clearly this means no sensitivity or slope adjustment, which I badly need as thry are so overly sensitive.

Am I missing something or is there a workaround ?

Thnx for any help.

7 minutes ago, Gabe-the-Pilot said:

Basically, I can only use Direct FS axis with all my aircraft in P3D v4.3.

You mean assigning in P3D? 

Clearly this means no sensitivity or slope adjustment

FSUIPC's calibration is available no matter where you assign.

What is it with the rudder axes ?

I've no idea. You give no details for me to even guess.

Pete

15 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

You mean assigning in P3D? 

FSUIPC's calibration is available no matter where you assign.

I've no idea. You give no details for me to even guess.

Well there are 3 options are there not for assigning an axis. 

The first is assign as a fsuipc axis.

The second is assign as a direct fs axis

The third is something about offset .... ?

Normally I use Fsuipc axis and then go the calibration page and calibrate.

Ok.... so, as I said above, I cannot get the Saitek rudder axes to work if I try to use the first option Fsuipc calibration.

I can only get them to work at all, in any aircraft addon, in P3D v4.3 on Windows 10 Pro latest build.... (phew !)..... IF I USE THE SECOND OPTION.

Of course I disable all controller axes in P3D itself, or that would cause a conflict, as per the manual and a million Avsim posts.

Also, if I assign via the second option, it will not work unless I unassign (via the Reset button on the calibration page) the previous calibration.

It all appears to work in the Fsuipc interface, as the numbers behave correctly, but there is no subsequent rudder actuation at all, in the sim.

So.... hope that explains the problem more clearly. I am not at my PC currently, or I would make a video and stick it on Youtube.... in fact I may do just that later.

Thnx

1 hour ago, Gabe-the-Pilot said:

I can only get them to work at all, in any aircraft addon, in P3D v4.3 on Windows 10 Pro latest build.... (phew !)..... IF I USE THE SECOND OPTION.

Okay. That actually works the same as if you assign in P3d.

It all appears to work in the Fsuipc interface, as the numbers behave correctly

1. Where, in the Assignment tab or in the Calibration tab, or both?

2. Does this apply to both Direct FSUIPC assignment AND FS control assignment, or only the latter?

3. Which FS rudder control do you assign to: "Axis rudder set" or "Rudder set"?

4. Does this apply to all aircraft -- default included -- or only add-on aircraft?

5. Check your rudder trim: an extreme setting for that will nullify rudder inputs in P3D. You can zero it by assigning a button or key to "Rudder Trim Set" with a parameter of 0.

6. Try also just assigning the rudder in P3D -- not as a possible solution necessarily, just to check. 

Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Okay. That actually works the same as if you assign in P3d.

1. Where, in the Assignment tab or in the Calibration tab, or both?

Both..... all appears to work as with other axes

2. Does this apply to both Direct FSUIPC assignment AND FS control assignment, or only the latter?

Only the former. Rudders work if I assign via your FS Direct option.... but ONLY if I also Reset the calibration made earlier on the Calibrate Axes page.

13 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said

3. Which FS rudder control do you assign to: "Axis rudder set" or "Rudder set"?

Axis Rudder set..... as with other axes

4. Does this apply to all aircraft -- default included -- or only add-on aircraft?

All.

5. Check your rudder trim: an extreme setting for that will nullify rudder inputs in P3D. You can zero it by assigning a button or key to "Rudder Trim Set" with a parameter of 0.

No. I do have Buttons Set for all other trims along with Centre and they all work well, even in aircraft that aren't meant to have them ... always handy ! But yes, checked in do228 which has bith - even if the needles move the wrong way.... gotta love Carenado.

6. Try also just assigning the rudder in P3D -- not as a possible solution necessarily, just to check. 

Yes this works ... as I would expect, given No. 2 answer, above.

But I will probably end up having to use this as a solution, as at least I should be able to set a Deadzone and Sensitivity - but of course: no slope / linearity, nor the ability to easily save different values for each aircraft ...  8-(

So hopefully this 'anomaly' can be sorted. As I said earlier, the toe brakes works 'perfick', so I don't get it.

Thnx again.

Yes this works ... as I would expect, given No. 2 answer, above.

So, you shouls see it then in the Calibrations tab. FSUIPC actually intercepts the same control from P3D no matter whether you assign the FS control in P3D or in FSUIPC. It does exactly the same in both cases.

With add-ons I can understand some of them not liking ax axis fed back into the Sim at a different (lower) Simconnect priority level. FSUIPC has to do that, otherwise it would end up in an infinite loop. PMDG Boeings certainly can have problems with that on throttles because they read the axis at one level at the same time as FSUIPC feeds as another. The two values may well be different (due to calibration and slopes). But it doesn't actually NOT work. And certainly rudders, ailerons, elevators, toe brakes, etc, are okay on pretty much all default and add-on aircraft.

So hopefully this 'anomaly' can be sorted. As I said earlier, the toe brakes works 'perfick', so I don't get it.

What about throttles, elevator, ailerons?

Check with logging . Exable axis logging and see the controls actually being sent to the Sim. They'll show in the log no matter where you assign or whether you use calibration or not.

I really have no other ideas. There are many users with those controls and no problems -- it is usually throttles which give problems with Saitek.

You could of course try the usual remedy with most things wrong with Saitek -- uninstall their software altogether. Then go to the Windows Device Manager, find the rudder device, right-click and uninstall, being sure to check to delete drivers too. That should correct any Registry problems. Then re-boot.

Pete

Well thnx for your efforts.

I cannot uninstall the drivers unfortunately as I value the multi mode function too much.

Everything is perfect on my system except the rudder pedals.

It will go down in my huge tome that includes many musings on the wierdisms of flight sim setups.

Good news is I configured the rudder pedals in P3D itself... just for the rudder pedal axes and with a little tweaking got a reasonably good sensitivity / deadzone compromise that seems to work OK on all my addons.

I had to set the rudder pedals to Do Nothing in FSUIPC though, for each addon... and reload the aircraft a couple of times...  but all is now good and I have made a backup of the relevant file !

Thnx again Pete. Case closed I guess !

🤣 Now I can watch Strictly without fretting.