The simFlight Network Forums

Departure

Braf123456

28 minutes ago, Braf123456 said:

After a planes takes off when is a good time to tell them to contact departure 

Well, at JFK the real ATCs do it immediately after take-off, leaving the airport's boundaries respectively. At around 500 ft.
My best practice, however, is when they reach a safe wake turbulence mark for the next aircraft to get departure clearance: 1000 ft. for medium jets, 1500 ft. for heavies, 2000 ft. for supers.

Now; realistic it depends on the airport as most are provided clearance to land between 3-6 miles out .. however in the UK airports, it depends on the size:

For example at Manchester or Heathrow etc (large airports); tower won't be handed the aircraft from Approach until around 6-9 nm out. So tower won't clear them to land till around 3-6nm out from the runway threshold.

However at small busy airports such as EGNM (Leeds Bradford, Exeter etc) you will find that Approach or Center will pass arrival aircraft on to the tower frequency about 12-20nm out depending on traffic in the area. Tower can clear these aircraft to land around 15nm out.

In the US I am told it is different. @crbascott or someone else can comment on what it is like in the US.

1 hour ago, Braf123456 said:

here is another question do you give clearance to land as soon as they call in or do you wait

Landing clearances are handled differently in the US and Europe.

In the US at busy airports like those in the sim, handoff to the tower controller would NOT be taking place 20nm out. Probably something closer to 7nm (new version wishlist item). 🙂Ignoring that shortcoming, the FAA allows for the use of anticipated separation. Here's a previous post on the subject: https://forum.simflight.com/topic/83989-cleared-to-land/?do=findComment&comment=507694

From a Tower!3D perspective, I agree with Pete that it doesn't matter. In real life it matters quite a bit. However, we don't have all the tools to see the big picture.

It does make me cringe to see "YouTube experts" at KLAX simultaneously depart planes from 24L departing south and from 25R departing north. And, of course, every plane parking on the north side departs from 24L and the south side departs from 25R.  This just doesn't happen in real life.  But then, it is a whole lot easier to play Tower!3D as a game versus a true real life simulation. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, crbascott said:

It does make me cringe to see "YouTube experts" at KLAX simultaneously depart planes from 24L departing south and from 25R departing north. And, of course, every plane parking on the north side departs from 24L and the south side departs from 25R.  This just doesn't happen in real life.  Bu then, it is a whole lot easier to play Tower!3D as a game versus a true real life simulation. 

Just to add spice to my life, what does happen in real life? Let's start with departures.

The Documents sometimes don't really say how departures is handled.

Afaik, departures are staggered, so not simultaneously, and flights are departed on the runway closest to their destination. Now I do not have the knowledge from head how that works in the US (considering I have no idea where half of your states actually are), but as example, on EDDM I will depart all planes for Northern Europe (starting with an E, like EHAM) and all planes to the US (K of course) from the northern runway, while I'll depart all planes for Southern Europe (S) and other far away destination from the southern runway.

9 hours ago, pete_agreatguy said:

All the documents linked here have all the answers you require :)

KATLKBOSKJFKKLGAKLASKLAXKMEM, KMCO, KPHL, KPHX, KSAN and KSFO.

The LAX doc doesn't help at all. @crbascott indicated that in real life departures don't always go to the nearest runway and that destination played a roll in choosing the runway. I'm asking if he or anyone else has information on how departure runways are chosen,  Forget winds assume 24L and 25R.

From the sim perspective if you want to play more realistically, you should definitely factor destination into departure runway selection versus just parking location.  Here's something from LAX's website that shows typical flow.

https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-environment/lax/aircraft-traffic-flow-at-lax

In real life it is way more complicated than just destination and parking. But, I'm nowhere near the expert to speak about airport and system wide air traffic management.

--

* Comment removed as inappropriate for the forum.  EVERYONE please be aware thay your post's tone MUST be polite and helpful.  Can't keep it civil then DON'T post.  Thanks from the mods.

--

Gentlemen,

I just realized some mods edited and deleted some of the replies. This is a friendly community with lots of support from each other, please don't ruin it. Craig and the other members put dozens (if not more) hours to help creating this community by creating schedules, collecting charts, data, etc. Let's just keep the tone friendly please.

Thank you

Vic

• Upvote 2

I’m long time reader, but this only my second post.  As a retired air traffic controller I also cringe a little when controlling KLAX especially when aircraft departing Runway 25R are going to northern airports.  Therefore, I used the standard instrument departure (SIDs) procedures as a somewhat guide.  I will taxi aircraft departing from the south side terminal complex (primarily United, Alaska and Skywest) going to northern airports to Runway 24L.  I will also taxi general aviation aircraft going to northern airports to Runway 24L.  My northern airport list includes all airports located north of KLAX in California as well as all airports in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Reno (Nevada), and Alaska.  When busy this can make ground control more challenging and fun.

• Upvote 1

Interesting Ron, I gave it a shot controlling like that last night. Certainly adds to the workload, however my geography isn't too good with US airport codes (I come from a land downunder) so only do the obvious ones such as SFO, SEA etc north & ATL, DFW etc to the south. The ones I am unsure about I hold off departing on the "other" runway until I see which way it has turned and allow appropriate separation.

Salad, attached is the list of 39 different commercial and general aviation destination airports that I depart on Runway 24L for flights located in the south terminal complex and the GA/Cargo areas.   This list is based on crbascott's 8 Aug 2018 KLAX 7 day daily schedule which I use for KLAX.  I hope this helps  or anyone else who might want to use it.    

KLAX RWY 24 Departures List.docx

• Like 1