The simFlight Network Forums

fsuipc use

1 hour ago, N8862V said:

I am sorry for any inconvenience I seem to have caused.

No, no inconvenience at all. it is just rather curious.

Provided my suggested solution of assigning to your keystroke in FSUIPC works for you (as it should), then I really consider the original matter closed. I'm now mainly curious about this range of values discrepancy. That's really another matter.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Hmm. Something is scalng it when assigned as an axis in FSUIPC then. I have both rudder trim and aileron trims in my 737 cockpit, calibrated through FSUIPC, and with the ProSim 737 they both seem to work quite normally. Of course I've never tried extreme positions away from centre,  but even so, the normal increment on the type of pot in use in my PFC cockpit only gives about 128 unique positions over the -16k to +16k range, so just a slight movement would exceed the 100. Yet the trim works fine.

Next tme I have the cockpit running I'll do some monitoring of the values and see what is going on there.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes, strange indeed that this works fine in your PFC.

Here's how I make my conclusions.
This is programmed in XML (I can't program in C++), tested with the default Accel B737-800.

50 (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET)
gives readouts for
(A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) : 50
and
(A:AILERON TRIM,degrees) : 5

Likewise:
100 (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET)
gives readouts for
(A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) : 100
and
(A:AILERON TRIM,degrees) : 10

AND
-25 (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET)
gives readouts for
(A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) : -25
and
(A:AILERON TRIM,degrees) : -2.5

But
150 (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET)
still gives readouts for
(A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) : 100
and
(A:AILERON TRIM,degrees) : 10

Hence my conclusion that the value range for the event is only -100 to +100
It's also consistant with the instrument readout for AileronTrim in the VirtualCockpit of the default 737-800.

What you could do: 
Check the event value in the log if you change your dial 1 step, and also observe the AileronTrim instrument in your Prosim 737 VC.
If these are low event values in the log: yes, somewhere the -16K to +16K range appears to be scaled into the -100 to +100 range.

Also check if moving the dial doesn't generate TrimLeft or TrimRight events instead of SET events; because that would explain why it works Ok.
Just saying that, because AILERON_TRIM_SET isn't documented in the FSX-Accel SDK (how about the P3DV4 SDK ??)

Getting curious (never done that upto now) I did the same experiment for the RudderTrim axis.
Result: behaves exactly the same as the AileronTrim.; so the event value range of -100 to + 100 gives max. deflection for rudder trim.

Best regards, Rob

PS:

To exclude the possibility of wrong conversions in XML coding:
I did a flight test with the default 737-800, and writing a value 100 to events AILERON_TRIM_SET or RUDDER_TRIM_SET indeed has a high impact on the flightpath.
Meaning that if the value range of these SET events would be -16K to +16K, writing a value 100 would not be noticeable.

Rob

Rob, I've been testing the assignment of Aileron Trim Set in FSUIPC, as an FS control to be sent. I am using P3D4, not FSX though.

It is sent but it has no effect here. It changes nothing. I was monitoring the state of SimConnect Values (SimVars) "AILERON TRIM PCT" and ""AILERON TRIM", reading the first as a "percentage" value, and the latter in radians. Neither changed at all when sending the Aileron Trim Set control direct to the sim, whether by button assignment or axis. The fact that the values would mostly be outside the -100 to +100 range might account for that if such values made the request a reject, but the zero point should be able to still operate.

However, if I assign "direct to FSUIPC" instead ("aileron trim"), then it writes direct to SimVar "AILERON TRIM PCT", converting the input range -16384 - +16383 to -100 to +100 beforehand. That works fine, as illustrated by this loog fragment:

2277770 Monitor IPC:0C02 (S16) = -15995
  2277770 SimRead: 0C02="AILERON TRIM PCT"
            FLT64: -97.6318823726
  2277770 Monitor IPC:2EB0 (FLT64) = -0.1704
  2277770 SimRead: 2EB0="AILERON TRIM"
            FLT64: -0.170399699188
  2277817 Monitor IPC:0C02 (S16) = -16253
  2277817 SimRead: 0C02="AILERON TRIM PCT"
            FLT64: -99.2065894067
  2277817 Monitor IPC:2EB0 (FLT64) = -0.1731
  2277817 SimRead: 2EB0="AILERON TRIM"
            FLT64: -0.173148081433
  2277848 Monitor IPC:0C02 (S16) = -15995
  2277848 SimRead: 0C02="AILERON TRIM PCT"
            FLT64: -97.6318823726
  2277848 Monitor IPC:2EB0 (FLT64) = -0.1704
  2277848 SimRead: 2EB0="AILERON TRIM"
            FLT64: -0.170399699188
  2277864 Monitor IPC:0C02 (S16) = -16253
  2277864 SimRead: 0C02="AILERON TRIM PCT"
            FLT64: -99.2065894067
  2277864 Monitor IPC:2EB0 (FLT64) = -0.1731
  2277864 SimRead: 2EB0="AILERON TRIM"
            FLT64: -0.173148081433

So, I simply don't know what's going on with "Aileron Trim Set", but the direct approach works fine.

If N8862V is still reading this, then that is something he could try, just to see if it works with his aircraft -- assign the Aileron Trim in FSUIPC Axis Assignments but use the "direct to FSUIPC" option. if that changes the trim in his aircraft, then a button assignment alternative could be arranged  (it involves having a macro writing zero to one offset then an internal control number to another offset. There's a range of internal controls (internal to fSUIPC) which use the 'direct to FSUIPC' methods).

For FSUIPC5 I could intercept the FS control for Aileron Trim Set and route it direct to SimConnect instead of forwarding it as a control, but I'd better not else I'd ruin any special implementations folks have made using that control for other purpose.

Pete

Pete. In the helicopter 206 the FSX "Aileron trim centre" when allocated a key, allows the cyclic controls to detach from the working of the joystick in the simulator  to allow centralising the actual stick instead of having to keep pressure on the stick to keep the attitude of the helicopter constant. By the way a key allocated to Aileron trim centre in fsx works, but a button from the stick repeated does not! (When fsx control not ticked) This is why I wanted fsuipc to control all functions.

Brian

3 hours ago, N8862V said:

By the way a key allocated to Aileron trim centre in fsx works, but a button from the stick repeated

Why would you want it repeating? surely once centred it should not need centering again?

3 hours ago, N8862V said:

but a button from the stick repeated does not! (When fsx control not ticked) This is why I wanted fsuipc to control all functions.

Yes, I know. you are repeating yourself again.

But you did say a keystroke assigned to the Aileron Trim Centre in FSX works. You don't need controls enable in FSX for that. So why haven't you assigned your button to that keystroke in FSUIPC, as I suggested?

Pete

Hi.Pete

The operating book on the 206 says to make the joystick button to repeat. I think this is because the helicopter is dynamic and they want the last period before one releases the button to be used within the simulator. This simulation is supposed to represent an actual Bell 206 and is used by Bell to train pilots before they fly the helicopter, certainly it is quite hard to fly compared with any heli in Microsoft flight sim. I have flown a real 206 and it is very comparable.

Although the key and button are selected to “trim centre”, when the fsx selection is not ticked, only the key works but not the button, when the fsx is ticked, both the key and button works.

Hope I am not repeating myself.

Brian

37 minutes ago, N8862V said:

Although the key and button are selected to “trim centre”, when the fsx selection is not ticked, only the key works but not the button, when the fsx is ticked, both the key and button works.

Sorry, but you are still misunderstanding my suggestion! I'll try it step by step:

1. Disable controllers in FSX.
2. In FSUIPC options, go to Buttons & Switches options tab.
3. Press the button you want to use.
4. Use the Key press side of the assignments (NOT the control assignment side), and
5. Enter the key press whch works so that it is sent when you press the button!
6. Press OK and verify that it works.

You are thereby using your FSX keypress assignment, not the Aileron Trim Set control in FSUUIPC, which we've all agreed doesn't work.

40 minutes ago, N8862V said:

Hope I am not repeating myself.

Yes, you are -- I've lost count of how many times you've said the same things! 😉

Pete