The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D Pro resets computer at START

NMaggio

Tower3D Pro ran successfully on Win 10 for a month or two. Intermittently, the program would reset the computer when program started. Deleted and reinstalled Tower 3D Pro many times. Sometimes the problem would not occur for 3 or 4 sessions, then the resets started. I turned off "automatically reset computer" option in system. Did a clean regedit for Tower3D pro. When it did run, I would get an error that stopped the program (see attached). Updated video driver. This did not help. Attached is output log.

Please advise

Nick

output_log.txt

crash.dmp

error.log

output_log.txt

1 hour ago, NMaggio said:

Tower3D Pro ran successfully on Win 10 for a month or two. Intermittently, the program would reset the computer when program started. Deleted and reinstalled Tower 3D Pro many times. Sometimes the problem would not occur for 3 or 4 sessions, then the resets started. I turned off "automatically reset computer" option in system. Did a clean regedit for Tower3D pro. When it did run, I would get an error that stopped the program (see attached). Updated video driver. This did not help.

I had a similar problem. What kind of computer is it? Mine is a PC, and my solution was: open the case, lay it on the side, take a clean brush, carefully wipe away fluff from the fans and heat sinks, then even more carefully use a vacuum cleaner on low suction to clean up. It simply overheated and subsequently went out.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:50 AM, hexzed said:

Have you done the usual? Run in admin mode, disable all antivirus/firewall. I would suggest updating all drivers as well. My PC was randomly crashing because of an unstable wifi driver without wifi even being on.

Yes, I have done the usual. Several times in fact. Thanks for the advise on the drivers.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:39 AM, DeltaVII said:

I had a similar problem. What kind of computer is it? Mine is a PC, and my solution was: open the case, lay it on the side, take a clean brush, carefully wipe away fluff from the fans and heat sinks, then even more carefully use a vacuum cleaner on low suction to clean up. It simply overheated and subsequently went out.

It is a 5 year old PC. Strong graphics card and plenty of memory. I try cleaning the inside of the computer. Thanks for your help.

46 minutes ago, NMaggio said:

Win 10 is a recent install/upgrade from 7. Thanks for your help.

Certainly try a fresh Windows install. You can create the Windows 10 install media tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Just make sure to:

a) Make a note of your Windows Product Code (here's how).

b) Backup any personal files you need to because reinstalling windows WILL delete your current files on your hard drive.

c) Download your drivers prior to installing as you may need ethernet/wifi to connect online to update windows etc :)

I might have found a workaround to my difficulties with resets and access violations. Using a program called MultiCore Next, I configured Tower3D Pro to use "Core 3", Below normal Selection of Priority and "No" to Selection of Boost. These settings would make sense if you have the program. So far, so good. I will keep ringing it out to see if Tower3D Pro fails anymore. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Nick

11 minutes ago, NMaggio said:

I might have found a workaround to my difficulties with resets and access violations. Using a program called MultiCore Next, I configured Tower3D Pro to use "Core 3", Below normal Selection of Priority and "No" to Selection of Boost. These settings would make sense if you have the program. So far, so good. I will keep ringing it out to see if Tower3D Pro fails anymore. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Nick

Is your Tower installation installed on a main directory ? i.e. C:\Tower 3D Pro?

After a successful run of Tower3D Pro, the anomaly is back with a vengeance. All the tricks I tried in the past no longer work. It is now impossible to run the program without it resetting my computer. Just to be sure, I deleted it and cleared out the register of all instances of "tower3d." The program was reinstalled several times with no success. I even updated 10 to the latest iteration. There MUST be an indication somewhere in the "reports" that indicate what is triggering the reboot. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. -

Thanks,

Nick

As this is a new behavior my thinking is, as others have stated, there is a hardware issue where some component (s) is having intermittent faults on the way to complete failure.  Could be a simple as a cooling fan slowly dying, or a significant issue with the GPU or CPU or a memory chip failing.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday after a reboot, a memory check was initiated by the system. It took several resets to clear the issue. So you might be correct about a failing device. The cooling fans have recently been cleared of any dust. The first step will be to switch the positions of the memory chips. Sometimes a failing chip, if put in another slot, will by pass the bad section. The next step will be to run Mem86 and see if that produces any positive results. Thanks for your input.

Nick

No results regarding memory swaps. 

Maybe someone has an idea based on the following occurrence: Tower3D Pro is run as an administrator. Whether I initiate the program with a Desktop shortcut, Tower.bat or Tower.exe from the Feelthere\Tower3D pro file location the same sequence occurs. The music starts to play and the splash screen appears. As soon as the word START arises from the bottom of the splash screen, the computer immediately stops and a reboot sequence is started. 

Just a reminder:

Win 10 was upgraded to the latest version

All system and video card fans were cleared of any dust

Memory Sims were reset in their slots

The program was  completely removed and installed 10s of times

Locations used included the default installation places or a new location directly under the root file.

Program was run as administrator

Win 8 compatibility is being used based on the compatibility algorithm.

Automatic restart was disabled.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Nick 

21 minutes ago, NMaggio said:

Win 10 was upgraded to the latest version

if it started after this then this is an issue to explore.  clean installs are ALWAYS preferred over upgrades as faults/errors/problems seem to happen in a upgrade of a current OS install.  recommend backing up all data and program installers and doing a clean, from scratch, update that wipes the hard drive (or SSD) clean.

8 minutes ago, NMaggio said:

Difficulty started before upgrade. The upgrade was done to see if that would remedy this matter.

as the game was working before something changed in your setup.  back to my prior comment in that this is something has changed on your computer and by what you have written it is computer hardware failing.

• 2 weeks later...

The only game on my computer that causes this difficulty is Tower3D Pro. I have Tower 2011, Tracon, ATCSimulator, Tower Cab from same company. All these items have always worked well except for Tower3D Pro. A clean install of Win10 is a lengthy and touchy maneuver to do for just one game. This will take some thought before I decide to do that route.

Thanks,

Nick