The simFlight Network Forums

Struggling for days, saitek yoke & 2 quadrant setup

Hi guys,

i’m trying to setup controls for my saitek products and somehow it just doesnt work how i want it.. after days of frustration I’m stuck at the current problems:

1. The three flip switches on the yoke doesnt work on one of the direction each.(also not recognized in windows)

2. Hat switch for freelook(tried 8 individual pan) not working at all

3. Flaps goes from up to full, not incremental while pulling the lever. So at 16xxx and 16xxx only does full or up. Setting this at P3D only goes from 1 to flap 25 in a 747. Doesnt go flaps up or flaps full. Assigning the lever button for full flaps works but still lever up does only go to flaps 1 not up.

4. Lever 3(throttle 2) reverse button also activates full spoilers.

I tried both enabling and disabling joysticks and deleted all assignments and axis in p3d settings

everything is connected to yoke hub and from there to usb on pc itself.

ps: pedals work fine. 

Is it possible to just copy someone file and paste into mine that does have similar setup? 

8 hours ago, mustiej said:

Is it possible to just copy someone file and paste into mine that does have similar setup? 

That wouldn't work.

Apart from the switches/buttons (which must surely be a problem of assignments), the symptoms you are seeing appear to be typical of Saitek devices (in particular) when they install bad registry entries which define the assorted axis actions incorrectly: usually as "digital" (i.e. on of off) rather than analog.

First off, if using FSUIPC for assignments, you need to DISABLE controllers in P3D, not just deete assignments. That is a checkbox in P3D, in  the last Controller settings item.

Then delete or re-name your FSUIPC INI file so none of the assignments you previously made apply.

Unplug the Saitek gear, go to Windows' Device Manager. Find your Saitek yoke and throttle units, and uninstall them -- making sure to also uninstall drivers when/if the option arises.

Re-boot your PC, reconnect the devices so that Windows recognises them.

Run P3D. Edit the [JoyNames] section in the default INI file produced so that it says AutoAssignLetters=Yes. 

NOW start assigning and calibrating. Bear in mind that flaps and spoiler will need reversing (REV option in calibration) before calibrating. If you still get the "digital" symptoms on axes, then it needs more intervention. See this thread in the FAQ subforum above:

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

That wouldn't work.

Apart from the switches/buttons (which must surely be a problem of assignments), the symptoms you are seeing appear to be typical of Saitek devices (in particular) when they install bad registry entries which define the assorted axis actions incorrectly: usually as "digital" (i.e. on of off) rather than analog.

First off, if using FSUIPC for assignments, you need to DISABLE controllers in P3D, not just deete assignments. That is a checkbox in P3D, in  the last Controller settings item.

Then delete or re-name your FSUIPC INI file so none of the assignments you previously made apply.

Unplug the Saitek gear, go to Windows' Device Manager. Find your Saitek yoke and throttle units, and uninstall them -- making sure to also uninstall drivers when/if the option arises.

Re-boot your PC, reconnect the devices so that Windows recognises them.

Run P3D. Edit the [JoyNames] section in the default INI file produced so that it says AutoAssignLetters=Yes. 

NOW start assigning and calibrating. Bear in mind that flaps and spoiler will need reversing (REV option in calibration) before calibrating. If you still get the "digital" symptoms on axes, then it needs more intervention. See this thread in the FAQ subforum above:

Pete

Hi, 

Thank you for the quick and detailed instructions to solve most my problems. I will try this tonight!

However, do you perhaps know the solution for the three switches on the yoke itself? Is this actually broken or just registry/driver(currently up-to-date) problem?

Do you mean the 3 switches in the thumb positions (one on left, two on right)? If so, and these are also not picked-up by windows, then I would suspect faulty buttons (esp. if you have one direction but not the other...). I have a saitek yoke and these are seen as buttons 3 & 4 (for left switch), 4&5 (for right vertical), and 6&7 (for right horizontal). Anyway, first try setting-up as indicated by Pete above.

Cheers,

John

7 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Do you mean the 3 switches in the thumb positions (one on left, two on right)? If so, and these are also not picked-up by windows, then I would suspect faulty buttons (esp. if you have one direction but not the other...). I have a saitek yoke and these are seen as buttons 3 & 4 (for left switch), 4&5 (for right vertical), and 6&7 (for right horizontal). Anyway, first try setting-up as indicated by Pete above.

Cheers,

John

Hi, 

Everything is correctly setup now! Thanks a lot!

However, the three buttons, for me it is 4, 6 and 8 doesn't work, not in windows and not in fsuipc. I bought it second hand a while ago from someone who used it barely and sold it to pursue ATPL training. So contacting him is not possible.. Any luck by contacting Saitek?

Also, I used the HAT axis to view but it moves literally pixel by pixel. It takes ages to move 1cm to anywhere.. Am I missing a speed slider somewhere?

Lastly, I used the red button on the yoke to move through camera group but what is the camera views called to switch from?(right engine, left engine, wings and etc) On keyboard it's S for groups and A for the different views I believe.

EDIT: The HAT switch works really slow in virtual cockpit but decently quick in other views..

Edited by mustiej

36 minutes ago, mustiej said:

However, the three buttons, for me it is 4, 6 and 8 doesn't work, not in windows and not in fsuipc. I bought it second hand a while ago from someone who used it barely and sold it to pursue ATPL training. So contacting him is not possible.. Any luck by contacting Saitek?

Try Saitek support. 

36 minutes ago, mustiej said:

Also, I used the HAT axis to view but it moves literally pixel by pixel. It takes ages to move 1cm to anywhere.. Am I missing a speed slider somewhere?

What do you assign it to? If FSUIPC axis assignments, use "Pan View". that works pretty fast here, every time.

37 minutes ago, mustiej said:

Lastly, I used the red button on the yoke to move through camera group but what is the camera views called to switch from?(right engine, left engine, wings and etc) On keyboard it's S for groups and A for the different views I believe.

Well, I don't recall exactly what the keystrokes are assigned to in the Sim, but there are several likely control candidiates you could try:

VIEW MODE
VIEW MODE REV
VIEW TYPE
VIEW TYPE REV
NEXT VIEW
PREV VIEW

I'm sure thgose keystrokes with be two of those (and the REVerse ones, the same keystrokes with Shift pressed).

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Try Saitek support. 

What do you assign it to? If FSUIPC axis assignments, use "Pan View". that works pretty fast here, every time.

Well, I don't recall exactly what the keystrokes are assigned to in the Sim, but there are several likely control candidiates you could try:

VIEW MODE
VIEW MODE REV
VIEW TYPE
VIEW TYPE REV
NEXT VIEW
PREV VIEW

I'm sure thgose keystrokes with be two of those (and the REVerse ones, the same keystrokes with Shift pressed).

Pete

Yup, view mode and next view! I used the HAT to pan view axis, it works pretty wel but in virtual cockpit it's terribly slow. 

7 hours ago, mustiej said:

I used the HAT to pan view axis, it works pretty wel but in virtual cockpit it's terribly slow. 

Is that with default aircraft? Here it is too fast if anything.

Make sure the "Delta" value is the PAN VIEW assignment in FSUIPC is set to 1.

You could try increasing FSUIPC's scanning frequency. It defaults to 100 times per second, but you can increase it.  But it shouldn't be necessary and could affect the performance of the sim as it would be spending more time looking at joysticks. To do this:set or change the "PollInterval" parameter in the INI file's main [Axes] section. It defaults to

PollInterval=10

which is 10 mSecs (so a rate of 100 per sec). You could try try 5 for 200 per sec. That would mean it should send 200 "PAN VIEW" commands every second, IF your system is capable of it (these commands pile up in Windows queues, and duplicates will be discarded then. 

Pete