The simFlight Network Forums

GPU Usage?

Sky King

I just noticed that in Tower 3D Pro, my 1080Ti GPU usage is pegged at 99-100% all the time, regardless of the graphics settings. Does anybody else experience this? Even with P3D at moderately high settings, the GPU runs at about 35%. Here are my specs: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK,Black Edition Motherboard; Intel I7-4790K CPU; 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win 7 Pro; 3 Samsung 1Tb SSDs; Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti, 11 Gb of VRAM (card factory overclocked).

Thanks for the reply! It just seems strange that the display doesn't seem to me to be particularly complex requiring this level of usage. Perhaps this is something the next version of T3D can address. Something doesn't seem right on the programming side. I wonder how this would perform with a less beefy video card.....

Mostly optimizations that are not present in the engine. It is normal for the system to be running under more load than one would expect with this game.  As stated though pausing and menus seem to hit it more.  In game depending on the number of planes its not soo bad temp wise but usage is up.

A handy thing that I have found and I have quite an old video card, is if your computer has been running for many hours doing word processing, spreadsheets, other games etc. which leaves left over bits in RAM etc. a good cold reboot before running T3D makes sure that you have all the CPU, video and RAM  resources available for the game.

I never have a crash (except Aircraft) if I start the game from a fresh boot.

Kev M