The simFlight Network Forums

KPHL fail

blacklabelbraai

Hi

I keep getting nailed by penalties at KPHL. Here's my default strategy and perhaps I'm missing something.

All departures use 9R and all arrivals use 9 L

I try to keep all aircraft separated and for departure a/c I use taxiways Juliet Zebra Sierra

Yet I keep getting these penalties - any ideas?

😞

What Craig said.

You're getting penalties because the arriving and takeoff point while both in air, is too close.

Philadelphia has a tendency to give you multiple penalties that other airports don't.

E.g If your arrival separation is reduced too much, you'll get hit with -500 after -500 after -500

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blacklabelbraai said:

So I'm understanding you all correctly, I can't have 9L departure taking off while 9R lands

No, I'm absolutely sure you CAN DO that! Just not the other way around, as you wrote in the opening post! 😉

Edit: An attempt at explanation..
Even if it is obviously not always the case, you should assume that the landing aircraft needs at least half of the runway until the landing process is finished. Technically, the arriving aircraft is still in the air during this time.
Airplanes usually take off before halfway. If you take off from the runway further back, there may be two planes in the air that are too close to each other for the game.
If you use the runway further forward for departures, you create more space between the planes and avoid penalties.

If you wait with the take off clearance until the game has credited you with the 10 points for a successful landing, you should theoretically also be able to take off from the posterior runway. But I haven't tried that myself yet.

Edited by EliGrim

32 minutes ago, EliGrim said:

No, I'm absolutely sure you CAN DO that! Just not the other way around, as you wrote in the opening post! 😉

Edit: An attempt at explanation..
Even if it is obviously not always the case, you should assume that the landing aircraft needs at least half of the runway until the landing process is finished. Technically, the arriving aircraft is still in the air during this time.
Airplanes usually take off before halfway. If you take off from the runway further back, there may be two planes in the air that are too close to each other for the game.
If you use the runway further forward for departures, you create more space between the planes and avoid penalties.

The penny finally dropped! 😉

Thank you - this makes much more sense now.

Arrrggghh! I just got nailed with a 5,000 point penalty because I thought I would get lucky at KPHL 9R with a Piedmont jet that I instructed to take next available exit to the left, ignored me and then a damn UPS 767 was up his exhaust.

I'm now at -3750 😡

I should have told the 767 to go around.

1 hour ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

Are you running in ADMIN mode? 

Do you have all software updated? 

Hi Ariel

Yes I'm running as Administrator, and I only installed the game, RealTraffic and TrueColor for TIST and KPHL last week.

T!3DPro - SP33c

RT - SP6V12

TISTv2

KPHLsp4

@blacklabelbraai @FeelThere Ariel - speaking of "features" ...

Controlled hours has never worked with the Tower!3D series (this issue might be specific to the non-Steam version). The issue was brought up as early as February 2017 - shortly after the release of Pro but was never fixed.

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/82918-pro-controlled-hours

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/84080-controlled-hours-in-tower-3d-pro-and-stop-and-go

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crbascott said:

@blacklabelbraai @FeelThere Ariel - speaking of "features" ...

Controlled hours has never worked with the Tower!3D series (this issue might be specific to the non-Steam version). The issue was brought up as early as February 2017 - shortly after the release of Pro but was never fixed.

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/82918-pro-controlled-hours

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/84080-controlled-hours-in-tower-3d-pro-and-stop-and-go

@crbascott - thank you for that.

It's interesting that in one of the mentioned links someone says it shows the controlled hours in the registry. Surely this would then be a reasonably straightforward software fix?

On 5/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, blacklabelbraai said:

because I thought I would get lucky at KPHL 9R with a Piedmont jet that I instructed to take next available exit to the left, ignored me and then a damn UPS 767 was up his exhaust.

To a certain extent, this is realistic. There definitely ARE stupid pilots out there missing their assigned exit, and it's the ATC's job to keep an eye on it.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is an intended feature by FeelThere. I have yet to find out when a virtual pilot reads back "unable to land, the runway is too short" and when he/she accepts the exit and takes the next one (sometimes on the opposite side).

I should have told the 767 to go around.

Yup. When I'm ATC at LEBL, there are multiple occations where I have to issue a Go-Around. Mostly in Western flow operations on 7L with A321s exiting R1 after having completed their landing short of runway 2 and creeping up to the exit with another aircraft on short final. Same goes for middle and long-range jets following a CRJ at JFK's 4R/22L. Regional jets in general are problematic, including the Dash-8s, because of their landing speeds and distances which make especially the CRJs miss most exits by an inch and creep up to the next one at 19 kts (because braking action in Tower3D is fixed by aircraft type and not calculated for the best performance to the next reachable or assigned exit). That's what I love the A319 and B757 for. They are the easiest to handle on almost any airport.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, blacklabelbraai said:

@crbascott - thank you for that.

It's interesting that in one of the mentioned links someone says it shows the controlled hours in the registry. Surely this would then be a reasonably straightforward software fix?

Yes, you would think so. But, fixes for Pro are no longer. That's why I am waiting for the next version (if it passes muster) while others can't wait for the "one release per month".

15 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Yes, you would think so. But, fixes for Pro are no longer. That's why I am waiting for the next version (if it passes muster) while others can't wait for the "one release per month".

You think the next version will fix the existing bugs? Like you I don't care about the next releases - there's plenty of stuff to keep us interested at the moment, including insane schedules thought up by the more savvy guys here (like you)

Has anyone mentioned a timeline on version 2.x of this?