The simFlight Network Forums

P3D v4.5 (or 4.4) Crash with AIseparation or RC4

I also had the three part crash.  P3dv4.5 hotfix, Windows 7, with UTlive set at 50%/GA 10% and Radar contact.  It happened at KORD just as I started pushback with GSX.  Also using FSCaptain and Active Sky.  I then started the same flight using the 5.15 and had no issues on one test flight KORD to CYUL.  I believe I've had this error on other flights with similar traffic levels.  My computer is mid-level (I think).  i7 at 4ghz x 4 core/8threads and just a GTX 1660ti 6gb.  I hope the extra variable with UTlive may help with your diagnosis.  Again 5.15 worked for one test flight.

9 hours ago, Drumcode said:

5.15 works! I had 318 ai (AIGAIM, UTL and MAIW) in the bubble on final to IAH and it didn't CTD. Boom! 

Have you tried departing IAH at the same time? I can reproduce the crash when either lining up on 27L at EGLL or just as the wheels leave the ground. I will try my test with 5.15.

18 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Have you tried departing IAH at the same time? I can reproduce the crash when either lining up on 27L at EGLL or just as the wheels leave the ground. I will try my test with 5.15.

Hi Ray, I have not. Not enough time on the weekends unfortunately.

Hi everyone :)

First I'd like to thank all of you who are working on solving this issue - what can I say? You're great! I followed this thread for a while now and tested the latest posted version of the FSUIPC.dll. I am using UTLive and I have set (for the purpose of testing) my traffic to 100/100 (commercial/GA) and did a flight with RC4. The second last version of FSUIPC caused a strange error message from RC4. Upon acknowledging it, RC4 continued as usual. But on a second flight (FACT-EDDH) P3DV4.5 crashed. The windows error reporting indicated the fsuipc.dll as before.

The latest version working in so far, as P3D didn't crash (a re-enactment of the previously unsuccessful flight FACT-EDDH) but RC4 just died. The flight ended uneventful and rather quiet (no ATC is quite nice). I don't know it this was just a coincidence or if it is still related to the AI-RC4-issue and hence wanted to report my findings. 

TL;DR: this latest version of FSUIPC.dll caused RC to quit but didn't crash P3DV4.5

Cheers,

Peter

Hi all,

a quick update and new version to try: FSUIPC5.txt

This version contains a workaround, hopefully, and not and actual fix. Please report back if this works for you and doesn't have any other issues.

There is a memory corruption somewhere and its proving difficult to track down. Whether this AI Slew/CTD problem occurs or not depends upon the memory arrangement of each build. Of course, this implies that just because this problem doesn't occur,  it doesn't mean that there still isn't a memory corruption issue, just that its moved to some other place, which is worrying....!

We will be continuing to investigate this issue to determine the source of the corruption. Its still not clear if this is caused by FSUIPC or P3D itself.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Two test departures from EGLL 27L. One in a default aircraft, the other in the PMDG737. Both fine with no crashes using 5.5.1.c. Logs available if required. Ai count was around 255 at EGLL.

I flew to FL150 and 25nm from Heathrow towards Schiphol before terminating the flight. I will try a full flight to Schiphol in the next few days.

23 hours ago, John Dowson said:

We will be continuing to investigate this issue to determine the source of the corruption. Its still not clear if this is caused by FSUIPC or P3D itself.

There will no doubt be another release from John soon. He's not available today, but I worked on the problem this morning and found the bug. Turned out to be a relatively simple (read "stupid") error which only shows up when large numbers of AI controls are sent via FSUIPC. In fact this error has been there for as long as the facility has existed -- so FSUIPC4 as well as FSUIPC5. It just happened that the error only causes a crash with a certain memory arrangement which of course changes with each build.

Pete

• Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Well done Pete. 👍 I suppose it took the huge number of Ai injected into P3D to create the conditions for the crash. Funny that it only happened for me with RC running. I suppose different things happen when it is.

FSUIPC itself never tries to "control" AI. That's just a facility for external applications -- RCV4 in your case, AIseparation for others (or both of course).

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

FSUIPC itself never tries to "control" AI. That's just a facility for external applications -- RCV4 in your case, AIseparation for others (or both of course).

Pete

Ah so it’s dormant until called upon by another app. Gotcha. 👍

Hi All

Thanks John and Peter for all your hard work in tracking down the problem. Will try the new version as soon as I get a chance and report back, but seeing Ray’s posts seems you have the problem solved 🙂

Regards

Q

Hi All

Completed three longish flights over the weekend using the last version of fsuipc posted with both RC4 and aiseparation working and happy to report no crashes 🙂

Thanks John and Peter for sorting this out. One thing I’ve learnt from this thread is that AI separation works! (In P3d)

Regards

Q