The simFlight Network Forums

Aileron & Elevator jump back to center

Hello,

Working on Full cockpit running Windows 7, FSX-SE, Project Magenta 737-800 and FSUIPC version 4.960.  Everything has been fine for years with all flight controls and brakes configured through FSUIPC.  All of a sudden when starting flight yesterday, when you move a flight control (ie. Ailerons), they will start to move but immediately jump back to center (not hold the input) and continue to flutter (small jitters).  Same for other controls.  This jump and jitter happen on the PM 737-800 and on any other plane we select.  We have done the following trouble shooting:

1. Checked FSX-SE to make sure their were no assignments for flight controls or any buttons that would interfere.

2. Checked our hardware in Windows directly and everything is seen and moves as expected.

3. Tried using just a keyboard to move flight controls with all our hardware unplugged.  No help.

4. Deleted the .ini file and let FSUIPC create new one and reassign.  No help.

What did work was to remove the FSUIPC4.dll file from modules folder and set up flight controls in FSX-SE.  With FSUIPC not loaded, flight controls using keyboard and our hardware worked as they should.  The moment we put the .dll back (so it loads) and delete the FSX assignments, jitter and flutter return when moving flight controls.  We conclude that our hardware is OK since it works with FSUIPC not loaded and Windows sees it moving correctly.

We don't believe it is an .ini problem since we let it create a new one (after deleting ours) and we still got same jitter and flutter.  Could the .dll have an issue?  What else do you think could be causing this "drop back to center and flutter"  I see the current version is 4.974 which is slightly newer.  But why all of a sudden since our registered (Thanks Peter) version has worked flawlessly for so long.   No hardware or software added between one night working perfect and the next morning messed up.

I will include our .ini file as it does have some (what I think are) duplicate entries under [Buttons] (TRIM) and [Axes] (Ailerons & Elevator).  Interesting that the Rudder seems to be fine.  Could dropping in the most current .dll file do the trick?  We didn't explore that today.

One additional thing is that the STAB Trim indication on the bottom right of the Upper EICAS bounces in the direction of switch movement on yoke but bounces back to full NU trim (10) on our scale.  Since there are setting in .ini file for this that also look duplicated, we assume this is related.

I know its a lot with hopefully enough detail but would appreciate any help..   

Thanks!

FSUIPC4.ini

9 hours ago, ScottThePilot said:

4. Deleted the .ini file and let FSUIPC create new one and reassign.  No help

If you did this, then re-assigned, how is it you have some many assignments to the same things?

AILERON:

0=0X,256,F,65695,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AILERON_SET }-
5=1X,256,F,65763,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_AILERONS_SET }-
7=2X,256,F,65763,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_AILERONS_SET }
-

ELEVATOR:

1=0Y,256,F,65694,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: ELEVATOR_SET }-
6=1Y,256,F,65762,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET }-
8=2Y,256,F,65762,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET }-

RUDDER:

2=0Z,256,F,65764,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_RUDDER_SET }-
9=2Z,256,F,65696,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: RUDDER_SET }-

You have three devices, 0 ("FDS-FC1"), 1 ("Racing wheel apex") and 2 ("BU0836"), and you have elevator and ailerons assigned for all three, and rudder to two of them. Furthermore, the Aileron and Elevator assignments for device 0 (which judging by the toe brake assignments is actually the rudder), are using the old FS98 type of control which operates completely differently, with a different range to be calibrated, than the standard "AXIS ... SET" controls. One of the rudder assignments is also like this, but not the one to device 0.

I think you now do need to really delete the INI and start again. but only assign the right controls, not everything you have to all the flight controls. That makes no sense.

First update to 4.974. Version 4.960, the one you are using, is very old now and cannot be supported. Please don't post again whilst using out of date versions.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry for being a bit unclear and not trying the update first (I was away from SIM).  The INI I posted was the original one that was working fine for years now on same hardware and happened long before my time.  I am now trying to decipher things after the fact.  I will update the version and to do so, can I just drop the current .dll file in place of the other or should I just run installer?

The Racing Wheel is only there for the TILLER which seems fine.

Just for my understanding (old 30 year retired developer), the 0X, 0Y, 0Z correspond to FDS-FC1 Board, 1X, 1Y to the Racing Wheel and 2X, 2Y, 2Z to BU0836.  BU0836 is the board connected to dual yokes so that should be the good assignment.  Basically the other "assignments" just need to go away.  Calibrations should be fine lower in file.  Device 0 is for the rudders and I see the other assignments to that also which are wrong.  What a mess.

I know one thing at a time.  The TRIM issue bouncing back to max NU could be in the button assignments?  I see 3 sets there R0, R1 and R2 which I assume correspond to the particular card.  If so, that is mess up as well with multiple assignments.

So best to update and maybe "DELETE" the INI again and do the assignments.  But am I getting the jest of how the INI is laid out...

Thanks and will not repost until updated dll and new INI...

Scott 

22 minutes ago, ScottThePilot said:

I will update the version and to do so, can I just drop the current .dll file in place of the other or should I just run installer?

The installer just "drops in" the DLL. The DLL is embedded indie. THe installer also updates the documentation. You don't need to re-register.

23 minutes ago, ScottThePilot said:

The Racing Wheel is only there for the TILLER which seems fine.

Well, there's no tiller assignment, and the wheel was assigned to aileron and elevator!!!

25 minutes ago, ScottThePilot said:

the 0X, 0Y, 0Z correspond to FDS-FC1 Board, 1X, 1Y to the Racing Wheel and 2X, 2Y, 2Z to BU0836

Yes, as I said.

26 minutes ago, ScottThePilot said:

The TRIM issue bouncing back to max NU could be in the button assignments?

No, not unless the buttons were pressing themselves or had some sort of short. Buttons don't send signals except when used. Maybe you have buttons which are really switches and left "on" by defalut? You have "repeat whilst pres" assignments for trim actions on all three devices (i.e. as bad as the axis assignments):

3=R0,1,C65615,0     -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
4=R0,0,C65607,0     -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
12=R1,0,C65607,0     -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
13=R1,1,C65615,0     -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
8=R2,0,C65607,0     -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
9=R2,1,C65615,0     -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-

30 minutes ago, ScottThePilot said:

and maybe "DELETE" the INI again and do the assignments.

Not "maybe" delete the INI, definitely delete the INI !

I'm on holiday now till June 24th.

Pete

Hi Scott,

'DIRECT' means you selected the action 'Send direct FSUIPC Calibration'. The calibration you have set for the Ailerons is as follows:

Aileron=-16103,-1152,-1090,16249

Your 'null' zone (around neutral) is -1152,-1090, which is very small (62). Try re-calibrating this in the 'Joystick Calibration' tab.

John