The simFlight Network Forums
jdriskell

Magnetic Declination Errors (answered)

How does FlightSim Commander take magnetic declination into account?  I live near KSEA whose declination is about 15.61° E.  I fly FSX-SE and have applied Hervé Sors latest magnetic declination corrections. 

I built a flight plan from KSEA to KBOI via V4 using Flight Sim Commander Version 10.0 Rev 5 Build 06.03.2018.  The first leg of the flight plan from SEA to YKM shows a course of 108-110° magnetic.  The Seattle Sectional Chart shows V4 as constant 104°.  FSTramp shows a course of 105°.  The sectional chart is correct, so how do we explain Flight Sim Commanders course of 108°?

Is it possible to update Flight Sim Commander to use the correct magnetic declination variables?

I love Flight Sim Commander but I don't like to use erroneous course information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Driskell

Hello Jim,

If the file magdec has been replaced, it's necessary that the Database Manager is executed.
The DbManager reads the modified MagVar data from the file magdec and transfers this data to the FlightSim Commander.

MagVar at KSEA 15.4°,  based on data may 2019 by Hervé Sors

FSCommander direct to KYKM Hdg Mag 110 °

Routing by simulator (see screenshot)

Regards,

Volker

FSC_KSEA_KYKM.jpg

I run the db builder after every navgraph update.  Hervé Sors' worldmag.bgl dated 12/31/18 has been applied.  So I guess I'll just try to work with what I've got.  I still don't understand why the Seattle Sectional says the V4 course is 104° and the various FSX/add-on systems are different, but if I accept FSX/etc everything should work.

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

8 hours ago, jdriskell said:

I still don't understand why the Seattle Sectional says the V4 course is 104° and the various FSX/add-on systems are different

That's a good question I've asked myself too.
Because the calculation from FSX is based on the updated MagVar.

If a measurement of the V4 is performed with the FSCommander function Measurement tool,
the result = an average of 109 degrees.

Regards,
Volker