The simFlight Network Forums

Custom Schedule Tutorial???

Pringle

5 hours ago, Pringle said:

Hi everyone,..

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to go about making custom schedules?

No there is not tutorial but it's is easy to do I use flightaware for arrivals I will use JFK for example you would put the airport it took off from then the airport it is landing so LAX, JFK, then the plane type so LAX, JFK, 764 then you put the airline code which would be Delta so LAX, JFK, 764, Dl, then the flight number LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, then the time that arrives at JFK LAX LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, then you would put the time it departed from LAX but you can put anytime because it doesn't matter so I out 12:00 for the departure LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, 12:00, then u put a 1 idk why but that's the way LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, 12:00, 1, then u put the airline code a again LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, 12:00, 1, DL so that how u do the arrival side of the schedule departure are just like arrival JFK, LAX, 764, DL, 1235, 12:00, 15:43, 1, DL so you would put the departure airport first which is JFK this instead of LAX an for the time u would put a random time for the arrival an put a real time for the departure time 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Braf123456 said:

No there is not tutorial but it's is easy to do I use flightaware for arrivals I will use JFK for example you would put the airport it took off from then the airport it is landing so LAX, JFK, then the plane type so LAX, JFK, 764 then you put the airline code which would be Delta so LAX, JFK, 764, Dl, then the flight number LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, then the time that arrives at JFK LAX LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, then you would put the time it departed from LAX but you can put anytime because it doesn't matter so I out 12:00 for the departure LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, 12:00, then u put a 1 idk why but that's the way LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, 12:00, 1, then u put the airline code a again LAX,  JFK, 764, DL, 1234, 13:44, 12:00, 1, DL so that how u do the arrival side of the schedule departure are just like arrival JFK, LAX, 764, DL, 1235, 12:00, 15:43, 1, DL so you would put the departure airport first which is JFK this instead of LAX an for the time u would put a random time for the arrival an put a real time for the departure time 

wow,..thank you very much for that explanation. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys for the helpful replies. I'd like to have a crack at doing one but I don't have excel, I don't even know how to use it be honest because I've never had any cause to. Can I get away without excel or will it be too long and tedious any other way?

Hey @Pringle

Like @hexzed said, you can also use open office (https://www.openoffice.org/) which is just as good as Excel.

Think of it as a set of containers, each cell (or block) containing the bit of info you need,

To use @hexzed's example, line 1 container 1 would contain LAX

Line 1, container 2 (or column 2) would contain JFK etc etc
Each line (or row) contains the info for a different flight.

Spreadsheets are generally configured as rows and columns.

Use @hexzed's example above and you will soon get the hang of it!

Let me know if you have any spreadsheet questions and I'll do my best to assist.

BLB (Peter)

• Upvote 1

Spreadsheets are kinda my thing. I still get hung up on pivot tables tho!

So, basically, expanding on my post above, each line contains info about each flight.

Let's take TIST as an example.

If you open up tist_schedule.txt you will see line 1 contains:

STX, STT, CNA, 9K, 8591, 16:12, 12:00, 1, 9K

That conforms exactly to what @hexzed was saying in his informative post.

Once you have all the flights captured that you need, export the spreadsheet as a csv file

(that stands for comma separated values)

Let me know if you get unglued! Let me warn you tho, spreadsheets for some reason are darn addictive....

BLB

3 hours ago, Pringle said:

Thanks guys for the helpful replies. I'd like to have a crack at doing one but I don't have excel, I don't even know how to use it be honest because I've never had any cause to. Can I get away without excel or will it be too long and tedious any other way?

You don't need Excel or Open Office, or even Libre Office(another free alternative) though one of those would make it easier.

I use to do it by hand, now with some help I developed my own system in Excel, much easier and faster and less prone to errors(typos)

I use excel and some basic trimming and lookup formulas for mine.  Several sheets to copy from one to the next in case there is a mistake I can go back to the source and correct it forward.  Not perfect but overall its not too difficult.

• Like 1

I take it excel is a payware program only at a cost of around £100/$124 which is not something I'd pay for just for this. Is there a basic free edition that I've maybe missed? Google doesn't throw up much except using an online app.

17 minutes ago, Pringle said:

I take it excel is a payware program only at a cost of around £100/$124 which is not something I'd pay for just for this. Is there a basic free edition that I've maybe missed? Google doesn't throw up much except using an online app.

Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, etc all are a series of computer programs that come in a packaged deal that yes, you have to pay for. If you are a student, some schools do provide it for you. My college gave us the 2016 download for free. If you are simply going to purchase it for only this purpose; Google has a free online web based version of this same package; however, it's not as nice looking and a simpler version. I personally don't like them but liked I noted, it's free. (Don't be fooled by online downloads from off site sources, Mircosoft has never once given out a free download for these so don't believe anyone out there giving you a free copy; most are filled with spyware on their downloads)

@Pringle

As already mentioned in the course of the thread, there are free alternatives that are very similar in functionality to the Microsoft Office series.
LibreOffice Calc or OpenOffice.org Calc are some of the free equivalents to Microsoft Excel.
Of course, you can also use any text editor, e.g. Windows Editor, to create your schedules. There's nothing wrong with that if you can do without comfort functions. In the end you need text files anyway.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ashman99 said:

If you are a student, some schools do provide it for you. My college gave us the 2016 download for free. 

I used to be, many many moons ago,..I'm almost 60 now and looking forward to retirement in a couple of years time..😎

11 hours ago, Pringle said:

I used to be, many many moons ago,..I'm almost 60 now and looking forward to retirement in a couple of years time..😎

I'm guessing you didn't get Office for free when you were at college then 🤔😆

8 hours ago, hexzed said:

I'm guessing you didn't get Office for free when you were at college then 🤔😆

Lol,..nooooo,..we didn't even have PCs back then and Office was a place where you worked. 😄

• Haha 1

I don't seem to have that option in the free online version of excel. I click on File, 'Save As' and then the option of either saving the spreadsheet to my One Drive as an XLSX file or something called an ODS file. Nowhere do i see an option to save as a .CSV file.

4 hours ago, Ripskin said:

As far as converting I just groom the cells into what I need and copy paste into a blank text file.  

That's what I did in the end. I just right-clicked my mouse and copied as I dragged across and then pasted into a new .txt. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, Tblood18 said:

anyone know where you can get a flight info list like this 

I am using quite a few sources 

flightaware.com 

I have built a complete timetable for EGLL, using the Heathrow website, which also includes cargo flights 
Sadly their website also includes codeshare, so took me some time to double check some of them 

I also checked some flights against
google flights 
Although some of the departure and arrival times are slightly incorrect, history of the aircraft used and days of the weeks for flights that do not operate every day was useful