The simFlight Network Forums

UPDATED - [Tracon!2012 SE]Beginner questions and some other things, please help

Crystal Noir

Hi there, first of all, I love this sim. I tried ATCpro that is more advanced but the voice recognition is a mess, with the TTS technology, it's more easy to make us being understood with the windows training method !

I'm a beginner and watch the manual but there are some things that are dark for me : 

1 - The manual say for the altitude we have to say for example for 10300  : "one zero thousand three hundred".

But when I want to say 13000 I say : "one three thousand" the pilot answer negative. To make it work I have to say "one three hundred" and the pilot answer ok but say "one three thousand" why I can't say "one three thousand" and the pilot can ? Is there something I don't understand ? : 

[seems to be because I don't let the sim to terminate the sentence before releasing the push to talk key]

2 - Radar contact. On my first session in LAS, all the departure refuse to communicate with me, each time I made a "radar contact" the pilot answer "negative", I have to restart the sim. :

[It seems and after re-reading the doc, that the plane should finish its take-off before having a contact with us, I don't understand exactly when I can "radar contact" a pilot despite the manual, the manual talk about clicking the plane before or something like that, I'm not sure of what I have to do but before a small time, the "radar contact" works (but I have to make this contact before the pilote is 10 mn away from the center dans 3000 feet, something like that)]

3 - Also the manual mention the tag name of aircrafts but it seems that they not be used in the sim. I always have N456PC for example but never the tag mentioned in the manual like "LESLIE" or "FIELD AIR" etc...

[Don't find anything about that, in Tower!3D we have this kind of plane directly, on this one just have to say numbers + letters to make it recognize the callsign, this part is a little dark for me....]

5 - Environment sounds not playing : no PTT sound, and no "radio noise" sound like I saw on Youtube video. The ogg files are here but never used it seems. What's going on here ? (I think that's why I don't have anything when the "radar contact" command is a success (On Youtube videos you have a radio noise).

[I tried different things but it seems that I have no sound in this sim but the TTS speeches, and the alarm when we have a conflict. But the radio noise and the PPT "blip" noise never occur. I don't know why, the voice recognition works like a charm, just that 2 sounds that never play. It brokes the immersion imo but I didn't find anything to help me on this.]

Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my english.

Hello, 

I've updated this topic with some comments that show researches I made, the things I have understood and the one I've not, and some explainations that come from my second topic that covers a part of the question here.

Some point stay very dark, so if  you have some advices for these, I will be happy 😉 Please be aware that I made my possible to try to search, read the doc and try to understand things of my own but some are too dark for me and need some helps to go in the right way. I'm pretty new on ATC sims so I have a lot of thing to learn. Also, some technical problems are always here (see point "5"), and it seems that I am not the first one that report something like that.

Thank you in advance guys ! And once again please apologize for my english 🙂

2. Read page 43 of the manual regarding RADAR CONTACT. The pilot will indicate he/she is "with you" and then you can respond with the command. If successful, you should see a message in the history of your command panel. The pilot will not respond back to the successful RADAR CONTACT command. You must have a successful RADAR CONTACT command before the pilot will recognize subsequent commands. 

3. See page 7 of the manual for the ICAO phonetic alphabet pronunciation. This is the way you communicate with GA traffic in the game. The phonetic callsign for N456PC would be November Four Five Six Papa Charlie.

5. Was the video you watched of the SE version?  From what I have experienced, clicking the PTT on the SE version does not make a sound. Not sure what you mean by radio noise. The SE game engine uses Windows speech so it's not going to sound radio-like.  

The video I watched was about the non "SE" version but the SE version should be the same, the only difference are the colors...If you look at the folder you have all the sounds in place the "bleep" sound and in the Environment folder the noise sound (ogg files). On the non SE version we can hear these sounds (radio noise when a pilot talk) on the SE version we never hear them despite the environment sounds slider in the setting is set to max.

For the Radar Contact, I missed something because I do it when the pilot said to me the sentence with informations, it's not "with you" directly but this is a sentence that the pilot says after confirming to the tower he will contact departure (for example). After confirming the tower he will contact departure, he says an other sentence with informations he has (altitude etc...) I suppose it's for me. That's why I don't understand why I have a "negative" when I said "Radar Contact". And if I dont do anything, anything else happens and about 1-2 mns have a penalty for "no contact". I will make some tests to see exactly how this happens.

I found how to communicate with GA traffic, but I don't understand why in the manual they talk about for example LESLIE callsign that never comes in the sim (end of the manual). That's why I misunderstood that at the beginning. (and in Tower!3D we have this kind of callsign directly that's why I was confused too).

It's more than just colors Crystal, the SE version uses a different voice/speech engine. Not sure what to tell you about Radar Contact, either the command is not being recognized or your timing is off. I have both versions and I find the voice recognition engine of the SE version to be very finicky and not nearly as good as Tower!3D (although they are supposed to be the same). 

Yes the voice/speech engine was updated, you're right, I read it, but the "Radar Contact" is recognized because it's written on the "commands history" and directly on the command line when I speack it. Also, I tried with the keyboard command (when I saw that the pilot always answers "negative") and no success either. So I don't know really what's going on here, I have to make some tests to see exactly how it happens but it seems that there is something wrong sometimes here. But if I imagine I can reproduce it each time in some scenario, it doesn't matter if I report it or not because I think that will be never patched.

For the sound, be aware that the voice/speech engine is not related with the environment sounds (just to say that I don't understand why in this version we don't have them). It seems that FeelThere wanted to port the sim on steam without really keeping in mind what will not work and doesn't work on this version, or they know but don't care about. I saw some topics that talk about this "sound pb" on the SE version. We have a chance that the "alarm" sound works lol but that's only this one that works, the other two doesn't play in this version. I checked several solution with OpenAL too but without success.

If I have to say something, it's that's the only thing that is better than ATCpro (an other Tracon product) is the voice recognition that is far better imo (I'm not english and it's very cool to train the computer for that, it's not possible on ATCpro making the sim difficult for an non english guy or for an english guy with a strong accent, because ATCpro doesn't use the Windows voice engine but an home made engine). 

There isn't a lot of Tracon sim so, we have to do with...what we have ^^

PS : sorry for my english and if I made some mistakes.