The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ColR1948

UTC vs Local time

When I create an ai flight plan I use the UTC (Greenwich Time).  I go in the sim and when I want to view the ai I select the UTC time, connect to the airport and the ai is there.

Now another time I go to view an ai I select UTC but the STB is an hour in front, so I have to reset the time in the sim to view the ai, this happens a lot, sometimes STB connects at the right time the other times it's an hour in front, is there a setting I may have missed in STB?

I'm using version 3.2 by the way, two reasons I don't update is, this version has been very stable plus I don't want all those logos to show on the menu board. 

I don't support V3.2 anymore, but what I recall (as per the other related post) is STB gets time from the simulator, including UTC and local time zone.  The times are presented to you in the local timezone of wherever your user aircraft happens to be.

Simon

Yes I realise that but like I said sometimes it works as it should, I select the time and the STB displays the ai aircraft, another time I select the time but STB for some reason goes an hour in front.

So if the ai flight is 09:00 GMT I select a few minutes in front in the sim and STB goes to that time.
Another instance I select 09:00 GMT but STB is set at 10:00.

Anyway seeing as it isn't supported I'll have to live with it.

Col.

Sorry to butt in.. It is not to do with auto adjustment settings for Summer Time on your PC is it?

P3D may be set to use local time, for a saved scenario time, at a particular season (time that it gets from the PC) or GMT. You might then be going to current time/season which it different? AI traffic might take their schedules from a different time base?

Just a suggestion to explore.

Aussie

Thanks Aussie, I said in my first post I make an ai flight plan in AIFP with the GMT setting and as I said sometimes when I go in the sim to view that ai STB is at the correct time (GMT).

Then another time I go to view an ai I go in the sim at the GMT time but STB is an hour in front and not at GMT.

Col.

FWIW I completely rewrote the implementation of time in STB V4 to use better C# classes than those available in legacy .net V2.  That said, the concept is still entirely driven by what the simulator understands by time.

There is similar thread to this where a guy says STB is 2 hours in front, you say that STB gets it's time from the simulator.

So if I set the sim to 90.00 why is STB an hour in front and on other occasions it is right, to my mind it's acting random.

Here is an example, ai flightplan set for 10.10 but when I go in the sim STB has it set for an hour later.

STB plus 1 hour.jpg

Need some more context here:  What time zone are you talking about in each case?  26 July is BST so that will be one hour ahead of UTC.

Send me a trace as per Appendix C of the user guide if you wish, but it will be a best efforts basis.  For the trace, I need a screenshot like the one above but with the FS Object ID column also presented, and tell me which flight looks wrong. 

I am going to answer my own question, it is me that doesn't understand the time zones.  I was forgetting the GMT time zone changes in summer.

Sorry to have been a pain doh!

gmt utc.jpg

Glad it's fixed. (It is what I tried to point out in my post above. 🙂 )

Being based in the Eastern States of Australia, we are at UTC+10 hours but move to UTC+11 during summer. Super Traffic Board handles this well based on the Scenario date I choose in P3d. It also tracks the time well if I choose to fly in, say Italy/USA, or move my aircraft to Wales where you have BST in operation. I believe it is quite clever and lets you know of the time zone changes it is making in the text box at the bottom of the screens. I am using the server on the P3D machine and two clients on separate PCs and it still keeps up.

Keep up the good work. 🙂

Aussie

That's one of the things Microsoft originally did right starting from FSX.  The API is entirely even driven, so I don't have to keep asking "Has the timezone changed yet?" All I do is say to the simulator, "just let me know when it changes" and it does just as soon as that occurrs!  There are other ways of interfacing with the simulator, dating back from FS2004 and before, where you have to keep polling addresses and see if they've changed.  Few write software applications in any sphere like that anymore.