The simFlight Network Forums

Why the White Models Instead of Defaults?

Agrajag

So I just tried my first custom schedule (most current one for KPHL) and was surprised to see so many white aircraft. I get it. The art doesn't exist for those, but my question is, why not offer an option to allow for displaying of the fictional paints for those models? If someone has Real Color then they clearly want to see color, though SOME might ONLY want to see real paint jobs. I personally would prefer to keep the immersion going and just have those planes has paint of any kind over being white.

28 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

why not offer an option to allow for displaying of the fictional paints for those models? 

Because the fictional liveries don't exist for the models that are introduced by Real Traffic. Out of the box, you get generic plane models with fictional liveries. Real Traffic adds real plane models and Real Color adds real liveries to those real plane models.

33 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

I personally would prefer to keep the immersion going and just have those planes has paint of any kind over being white.

Then why get Real Traffic or Real Color at all, If paint of "any kind" is all you want?

2 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Then why get Real Traffic or Real Color at all, If paint of "any kind" is all you want?

Because that's not ALL I want. I absolutely want the real models and real paint, but failing the real paint, I'd take a fictional one over white.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize they took the time to create fictional models for the non-Real variant.

2 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

I absolutely want the real models and real paint, but failing the real paint, I'd take a fictional one over white.

If/when a new version is released, hopefully there will be modding capabilities and we'll be able to create our own paints - fictional or real (like we were able to do with Tower!2011).

Actually, modding capabilities is a required feature in order for me to get the new version. 

1 minute ago, crbascott said:

If/when a new version is released, hopefully there will be modding capabilities and we'll be able to create our own paints - fictional or real (like we were able to do with Tower!2011).

Actually, modding capabilities is a required feature in order for me to get the new version. 

I have to believe with competition coming that they'll have to go to the next level to keep this competitive. We'll see. 

How many planes are white if you purchased real color for PHL?  

I did not buy it for PHL but my purchases for other airports filter 60 to 70% into PHL for real liveries. 
Curious if there is an install issue or something making so many of yours white if you bought RC for the specific airport. 

On 9/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, crbascott said:

It's almost certain it will be done for the next version. I admitted many times based on T!2011 we underestimated the community's need for an editor. It's one of the top priorities for T!3DX.

Vic

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, Ripskin said:

How many planes are white if you purchased real color for PHL?  

I did not buy it for PHL but my purchases for other airports filter 60 to 70% into PHL for real liveries. 
Curious if there is an install issue or something making so many of yours white if you bought RC for the specific airport. 

VERY few are white with the standard install of RC & RT. Remember that I started off by saying I installed my first Custom schedule which clearly references a surprising number of new airlines into the mix. That resulted in about 15% of the planes being white models. That left me wondering if it might not be better to just fake those. Not sure which way most people would go, but seeing color, to me, seems better than not seeing it.

The one thing I'd love to see is a tool to ID which airlines in a schedule have no livery paint or model to go with them. Hoping some solid coder gets hooked on the game and decides to do a stand-alone utility to see behind the scenes as it were as this sort of thing doesn't really make a lot of sense to have in the core game itself. 

26 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

Hoping some solid coder gets hooked on the game and decides to do a stand-alone utility to see behind the scenes as it were as this sort of thing doesn't really make a lot of sense to have in the core game itself. 

Or you could just do it yourself - as I did (I'd like to think I'm a "solid coder" but in this case no code is needed, just Excel). All the information you need is at your fingertips. You have your custom schedule (and associated text reference files) and you have all your liveries (they are listed in the Assets section of each manifest file that comes with RC). There's also the master list if you want to see if a livery is available in a RC pack you don't have. 

Keep in mind the game is 3+ years old, there has been talk of a next version since T3D was released, there's not that many custom schedulers, and there's not that many coders who are willing to give away intellectual property for free. All that adds up to "if you want something done, do it yourself". 😀

Have fun!

12 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Keep in mind the game is 3+ years old, there has been talk of a next version since T3D was released, there's not that many custom schedulers, and there's not that many coders who are willing to give away intellectual property for free. All that adds up to "if you want something done, do it yourself". 😀

Thanks. I've actually been quite impressed with the generosity of many across a wide swath of different products including smaller "cottage" games. I have a horse racing game that really shines with a couple of utilities built by two fans that built the tools for themselves. I also used to code (30 years ago) and built a number of these myself back then. The general path is just as I mentioned. I found I'd built a tool for my own use and realized others might get use out of it and shared it. No skin off my back assuming people realize it doesn't come with support.

5 hours ago, Agrajag said:

Thanks. I've actually been quite impressed with the generosity of many across a wide swath of different products including smaller "cottage" games. I have a horse racing game that really shines with a couple of utilities built by two fans that built the tools for themselves. I also used to code (30 years ago) and built a number of these myself back then. The general path is just as I mentioned. I found I'd built a tool for my own use and realized others might get use out of it and shared it. No skin off my back assuming people realize it doesn't come with support.

Very familiar with the concept as this is not my first rodeo (I've actually helped improve a very popular XP11 freeware plugin, plus the amount of free stuff available with XP11 is mind-boggling). However with no API, no modding friendly interfaces,  the customer base makeup and life cycle of this product being where it's at you don't see much tool building here. We did have one user who build some nice tools but "Elvis has left the building" due to valid reasons in which I support.

But, as I said, you can easily solution this yourself with an hour or two of work. 

14 hours ago, Agrajag said:

VERY few are white with the standard install of RC & RT. Remember that I started off by saying I installed my first Custom schedule which clearly references a surprising number of new airlines into the mix. That resulted in about 15% of the planes being white models. That left me wondering if it might not be better to just fake those. Not sure which way most people would go, but seeing color, to me, seems better than not seeing it.

15 to 25% white is about what I see without owning RC for PHL.  I agree and would like to see the color however when I really looked at how I play I'm focused on the two maps of ground / air traffic and the slips more than anything else so I figured I'll live with it lol. 

I've thought about going in and tweaking things but I would rather put that bit of spare time towards schedule creation or just play and hope that the next version of the game does things better as it sounds like the plan is when they get there... :)