The simFlight Network Forums

KSAN Cargo/GA Challenges

Agrajag

Okay, so what am I doing wrong here? Should I really send all traffic from these two areas to RWY 27? 

I find that doing so is really tough during busy times as anything that takes off from RWY 27 while RWY 9 is active will end up flying right into incoming RWY 9 arrivals. 

The bigger issue is RW9 arrivals heading to those two areas. If I tell anything to head to RWY 9 from these areas while that's happening it gets to be impossible. So I'll do something like this:

FDX821, Runway 9 via F C4 B4 B B10 and they'll say no problem, but then stop DEAD and nothing I do will get them rolling again. I end up having to delete the aircraft.

On another topic, I finally got to the point of comfort where this might as well be a 2D game as I rarely ever look at anything other than the radar and ADIRS.

Hi Agrajag,

That's an interesting one with the cargo flights I haven't experienced it before.

As for you dilema trying to get them out, try clicking your arrival runway off (click the green bar for your active runway and it will turn it off). I see it as the same as advising tracon the runway is closed. Once your departure is clear click again and open up the runway for arrivals.

Graham

39 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

Okay, so what am I doing wrong here? Should I really send all traffic from these two areas to RWY 27? 

I find that doing so is really tough during busy times as anything that takes off from RWY 27 while RWY 9 is active will end up flying right into incoming RWY 9 arrivals. 

The bigger issue is RW9 arrivals heading to those two areas. If I tell anything to head to RWY 9 from these areas while that's happening it gets to be impossible. So I'll do something like this:

FDX821, Runway 9 via F C4 B4 B B10 and they'll say no problem, but then stop DEAD and nothing I do will get them rolling again. I end up having to delete the aircraft.

On another topic, I finally got to the point of comfort where this might as well be a 2D game as I rarely ever look at anything other than the radar and ADIRS.

I believe C4 isn't actually connected properly

Try turning off the ADIRS and do it with strips and sight just like the old days. 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salad said:

Try turning off the ADIRS and do it with strips and sight just like the old days. 😀

That's one I've done. I was involved in the development of the original Tracon (Wesson) and then ATCC (Xavius) and helped with ATC Windows. I've been in a Center and in a tower so got a nice chance to see it all for real a while back. I spent a good 10 years trying to convince gamers that this balancing act makes for great fun -- and mainly failing as they don't like games that don't have simply eye candy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agrajag said:

In real life the incoming traffic for 9 at some point would be put in a holding pattern to allow for the departures on 27. Since we don't have Tracon control in this Tower game, this particular scenario is impossible unless you attempt to build a custom to handle it.

Here's a post with some interesting notes on this scenario. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/82962-ksan-thrill-ride-tower-3d-pro/?do=findComment&comment=507045

1 hour ago, Salad said:

Maybe the next version - graphics and zoom view functionality needs work. Plus those darn trees need to be changed to bushes at KSAN in order to see the whole runway. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/84116-remove-trees

Wow, some gold in there Agrajag, my introduction into ATC was with Wesson's Tracon 2, I thought that was the bee's knees. Like many others here progressed through ATCC, BAO Tower etc.

But I do digress in your topic of cargo planes at KSAN....

7 hours ago, crbascott said:

Maybe the next version - graphics and zoom view functionality needs work. Plus those darn trees need to be changed to bushes at KSAN in order to see the whole runway. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/84116-remove-trees

Yeah, I find it really hard to believe those trees would be allowed to remain there. I actually looked for real images from that tower looking that way, but didn't find any.

As far as reality there, would the custom schedules for KSAN address this at all? I just do everything on 9 mainly which, as noted, seems a bit unrealistic, but it seemed the only way to remain sane. 

7 hours ago, Salad said:

Wow, some gold in there Agrajag, my introduction into ATC was with Wesson's Tracon 2, I thought that was the bee's knees. Like many others here progressed through ATCC, BAO Tower etc.

Good old days.... Bob Wesson was an awesome guy as was his whole team and Chris Coon form Xavius was also a pleasure to work with. I think I must have spent ages talking with him. Still have those sector cards around here somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Agrajag said:

Yeah, I find it really hard to believe those trees would be allowed to remain there. I actually looked for real images from that tower looking that way, but didn't find any.

As far as reality there, would the custom schedules for KSAN address this at all? I just do everything on 9 mainly which, as noted, seems a bit unrealistic, but it seemed the only way to remain sane. 

In reality they probably use runway 27 90% of the time give or take. 

I had a custom schedule for KSAN but I took it down for personal reasons. I’ll try to remember to send it to you when I get back to my PC in a couple of days.