The simFlight Network Forums

FSX elevator control jerky

emann

Hello,

my assistance here...user of FSX and FSUIPC 4.971 on Win 7 system.

I just returned back from my 3 month overseas roaster and fired up FSX for a routine flight...only to note quite a stiff yoke (PFC VMax Flight System)...tried a takeoff but had no elevator control whatsoever...rest of controls and push buttons work fine.

I need assistance in determining if it is a hardware issue and the yoke needs repair or some setting that has gone wrong while not using FSX for the past months.

I tried calibration under windows game controller settings and can note that the cross hair only travels to half way down the calibration box.

I then re calibrated in FSUIPC for elevator only and get -16383 for elevator down with a smooth delta (256) but then on elevator up I get 3 readings of 4067, 11000 and 16383. In FSX I note the aircraft elevator having a slight up movement and then it bangs its way fully up with no transition in between.  I tried another simple joystick, calibrated through FSUIPC and all was working normal.

Any assistance or trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated...this yoke had cost me a fortune and would really like to continue using it.

Look forward for any help.

Regards,

Emann

Hi,

seems more like a Yoke problem.

I tried calibration under windows game controller settings and can note that the cross hair only travels to half way down the calibration box.

I then re calibrated in FSUIPC for elevator only and get -16383 for elevator down with a smooth delta (256) but then on elevator up I get 3 readings of 4067, 11000 and 16383.

I guess you did the calibration in FSUIPC after you re-calibrated in Windows. FSUIPC uses the Windows API, it means it gets the calibrated Windows data. FSUIPC calibration uses the Windows basic data.

Also any earlier version than the current is not supported, you should update in any case, links are below. First using the installer for 4.974 before udating to 4.974b

FOR FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D

Install complete FSUIPC version 4.974 Install FSUIPC4.974 for FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D versions 2.5, 3.0 - 3.4 (32-bit only: all versions to date of release)
Changes since 4.96 are now included in the History document in the FSUIPC Documents folder supplemented by the Changes document in the ZIP.

FSUIPC 4.974b DLL only, for current 4.974 users FSUIPC4974b.zip
-- This interim update provides an improved Lua ext library. Those included functions operating on external application windows now more reliably find and act on the top level window, as generally necessary to have effective keyboard and state changes (min/max etc) recognised and acted upon.

Also please always attach or copy and paste the content of a fully closed session of FSUIPC4.log and FSUIPC4.ini files. 

What do you see on Axis tab for the input value of elevator axis, already the same jerky?

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

thank you so much for your reply.

I will check for the update of FSUIPC later on and install when on the simulator computer....how do I access the log file please and then will submit this with the ini file as well.

In Axis tab the input of elevator back is jerky as well. I mainly get three readings of 4067, 11000 and 16383 and cannot set the delta either.

Look forward for any assistance.

Emann.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

back again here for some other assistance hopefully.  

In consideration of the cost of the potentiometer and the fact that the yoke is end of life, I asked a local technician to check the yoke.  The reply is that the potentiometer is working fine and also the fact that the yoke is recognising by all PCs we tried and it calibrates, seems that its electronics board is working fine too.  The technician is directing me to drivers or cable...cable I changed but drivers I have no clue...this has always been plug and play, calibrate and we are off.

I am attaching a link below to understand what is happening showing results of FSUIPC axis assignment page.  Not sure if this can give you any insight to what is happening...I also am showing aileron control so that one can understand the difference.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VERkHreMgp3v4SSr5

Hope for some ideas!

Thanks to all.

Edited by emann

1 hour ago, emann said:

I am attaching a link below to understand what is happening showing results of FSUIPC axis assignment page.  Not sure if this can give you any insight to what is happening...I also am showing aileron control so that one can understand the difference.

Sorry, but that is not really helpful. Please show the files Thomas so carefully and fully pointed you to.

My first guess is that the device is registered incorrectly in Windows. Unistall it (including drivers if that option is presented) using Windows Device manager. if it came with any software, uninstall that too using Windows "Programs and Features". THEN re-boot the PC so the device gets re-detected.

Pete

thanks a lot for the reply...pete dowson himself?!

in the windows 7 device manager I have HID-Compliant Game Controller...presumably this is the yoke? as the other hardware all have names that I can easily recognise like proflight rudder pedals and throttle...so not sure this is the one that requires to be uninstalled please.

great if you can confirm.

thanks.

Just now, emann said:

in the windows 7 device manager I have HID-Compliant Game Controller...presumably this is the yoke? as the other hardware all have names that I can easily recognise like proflight rudder pedals and throttle...so not sure this is the one that requires to be uninstalled please.

Yes, it will be the yoke if none of the others suit.

Pete

2 hours ago, emann said:

.next step is calibrate through windows or check results in FSX pls?

FSX assumes you've ca;ibrated in windows, so do thgat first.

If it still misbehaves in FSX then there's not a lot FSUIPC can do about it. FSUIPC can provide more precise calibration, and provide more options for how the response feels, but if your device is still only setting a few discrete values (positions) rather than running smoothly from minimum to maximum, then there's not much software can do.

Pete

Hi,

to be able to do any support you have to have the latest FSUIPC4 installed. In your very first mail you asked for support

Hello,

my assistance here...user of FSX and FSUIPC 4.971 on Win 7 system.

and I answered that and asked you to install latest supported FSUIPC4 and even gave the download link in my answer above. Also I asked for your LOG and INI file, what aleays show us as well what version is used.

FOR FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D

Install complete FSUIPC version 4.974 Install FSUIPC4.974 for FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D versions 2.5, 3.0 - 3.4 (32-bit only: all versions to date of release)
Changes since 4.96 are now included in the History document in the FSUIPC Documents folder supplemented by the Changes document in the ZIP.

FSUIPC 4.974b DLL only, for current 4.974 users FSUIPC4974b.zip
-- This interim update provides an improved Lua ext library. Those included functions operating on external application windows now more reliably find and act on the top level window, as generally necessary to have effective keyboard and state changes (min/max etc) recognised and acted upon.

Now as you actually send your LOG and INI file it shows your currect FSUIPC version

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.949f by Pete Dowson *********
fsx.exe version = 10.0.61637.0
Reading options from "E:\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

The FSUIPC version you use is already very very old and not supported at all.

Please update first to current latest supported version, the links are given again in this message.

Then go yo Logging tab in FSUIPC and mark the following, press OK.

image.png.b7ea04673a11391beaa663d1e25c7996.png

Now restart FSX, after fully started move the problematic axis slowly in both directions and then close FSX. After FSX has fully closed copy and paste the bosth files, LOG and INI, again.

Thomas

Hi,

the elevator axis is not doing anything correct. It is doing only 4 steps to max and exactly with the same value 4 steps back

81011 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 880 (0x00000370) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
    98405 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 6518 (0x00001976) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
    98873 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 12156 (0x00002f7c) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
    99045 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 16384 (0x00004000) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
   100043 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 12156 (0x00002f7c) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
   100121 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 6518 (0x00001976) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
   100277 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 880 (0x00000370) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
   101057 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= -10922 (0xffffd556) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
   104645 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65762 (0x000100e2), Param= 880 (0x00000370) AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET

Can you change in your INI file this line

4=1Y,1,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

to

4=1Y,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

Thomas

yes...same issue...the cross hair jumps from centre position to edge of calibration box without any smooth movement in between....will check again with my technician on this and then see what step to take...getting the potentiometer from abroad is going to cost about €120...whilst a new saitek yoke is €159...so not sure if repair is worth it at this stage.

thanks for everything.