The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 2011 - Erratic loading

MJKERR

They should be identical, but clearly not

I obviously use the main one more often and it is very responsive
Sadly it will not run Tower 2011 easily (as above, incredibly slow) 

The other is used rarely and does not have automatic WiFi access 
However it will run Tower 2011 with ease 
So much so that I have installed Tower 2011, EGLL, Real EGLL and Real Schedules 

I have a third computer, but it is not being used (only used when working outside the UK)

Oddly when I compare the processes when Tower 2011 is running on both they are almost identical 
However, the main computer was sent for a warranty repair at 9 months old and had the Hard Drive replaced at 11 months old 
I am wondering if this has something to do with it...

(eMail sent but see if anyone else knows of a solution for this)
Secondary laptop has also now installed Windows 10 v1903 update and will not run the program, stalls in exactly the same place 
Rolled it back to v1803, but after shutdown restart it reinstates v1903 (which has a limit of one week)

10 hours ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

No major changes were brought in the 1903 update. So I understand now it does not work on both computers? 

Yes, when v1903 is in effect the game does not work
I rolled back to v1803 on the secondary laptop it was working again
I then switched that laptop off, and on switching back on the next day it had reinstated v1903
There is no setting within Windows to prevent updates 
Equally, there is a warning that v1903 is going to be installed, which I can dismiss
Again this morning it had done the same

1 hour ago, mjkerr said:

There is no setting within Windows to prevent updates 

See -

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3232632/how-to-block-the-windows-10-may-2019-update-version-1903-from-installing.amp.html?

This is just one if many articles on how to do this as '1903' has been so problematic.  Microsoft hasn't done well with updates for the past 18 months.

4 hours ago, scoobflight said:

See -
This is just one if many articles on how to do this as '1903' has been so problematic

I looked at this previously, this option does not appear in my version of Windows 10

This is the only piece of software I am experiencing problems with on v1903 
My secondary laptop is rarely connected to internet, hence why it had not updated recently 

1 hour ago, mjkerr said:

... this option does not appear in my version of Windows 10

You have Windows Home on the machine.  You need to limit the download capacity so the OS is very slow in uploading the update.  (See later but in the link I shared before.)

I'm sure others are running 1903 with no trouble, which is common for the update problems MS is having.  There is a hardware incompatibility on your machine that MS has triggered with the update.

24 minutes ago, scoobflight said:

You have Windows Home on the machine.  You need to limit the download capacity so the OS is very slow in uploading the update.  (See later but in the link I shared before.)

Both laptops have the same setting, set to Off

12 hours ago, scoobflight said:

The issue is the machines are different in some way (or ways).  The OS update.  The different screen (may have different driver/settings/BIOS).  The difference (s) are causing a fault.

The only difference is Windows 10 v1803 and v1903, and when it was updated 

On the main laptop there is no option to rollback, it is fixed at v1903
As a result it will not run the program 

On the secondary laptop there is an option to rollback, as v1903 was updated last week 
As a result it will ONLY run the program when rolled back to v1803 
When v1903 reinstates every day the program will not run 

There is something consistent with both laptops that do not allow the program to run under v1903 
I have run the Toshiba conflict tool, nothing is found 
The drivers are reported as up to date, as at October 2016, after which the laptop was discontinued 

It is extremely inconvenient having to roll back the secondary laptop every time I switch it on, which takes about 90 minutes  
Equally, at some point the rollback option will expire, then I will be completely stuck!

• 4 weeks later...

Nightmare, I have now been given seven days notice to remove the unapproved software (Tower 2011) on my laptop with Windows v1803
As a result I have sent my laptop with Windows 1903 for the Hard Drive to be replaced, due back next week, see what happens!

6 hours ago, mjkerr said:

Nightmare, I have now been given seven days notice to remove the unapproved software (Tower 2011) on my laptop with Windows v1803
As a result I have sent my laptop with Windows 1903 for the Hard Drive to be replaced, due back next week, see what happens!

Never heard of it, Where did the notice coome from??

Sorry, not trying to hijack the topic but it's something that might be of infromation to others

Kev M

7 hours ago, mjkerr said:

Did you by any chance upgrade from Windows 7 via the (at that time) free upgrade path, to Windows 10?

3 hours ago, 707FAN said:

Never heard of it, Where did the notice coome from??

I own both laptops, but they are used for different commercial purposes 
Main is used by myself (the one I am having problems with) 
Two is used for a third party

3 hours ago, blacklabelbraai said:

Did you by any chance upgrade from Windows 7 via the (at that time) free upgrade path, to Windows 10?

No, both laptops were supplied new with Windows 10 in 2016
Toshiba C55-C-1M9 

The only issue has been with
Main
The Hard Drive failed within the warranty period, returned to Toshiba and replaced 
That replacement also failed, replaced locally

21 hours ago, mjkerr said:

No, both laptops were supplied new with Windows 10 in 2016
Toshiba C55-C-1M9 

Have you done all the windows updates? 2016 is a long time ago in IT times??

For fear of starting an agrument,  I have very little faith in Toshiba laptops. In my experience in rebuilding them,  Toshiba do funny things with the BIOS which makes them a little strange.

I tend to avoid them.

This is only my opinion as someone who has worked with them in the past. Also to have 2 hard drive failures is most unusual.

Kev M

2 hours ago, 707FAN said:

Have you done all the windows updates? 2016 is a long time ago in IT times??

Both laptops were purchased in 2016, then setup identically and synchronised 
So if software is installed on one, it also installs on the other
Equally, if software was uninstalled, the other also removed 
Although this was easier when both were on at the same time 
The only difference was the printer setting (otherwise both would send the job to the printer)

Windows Updates were automatic
In most cases both laptops updated on the same day 
I compared both when I first started problems, and the only difference was the Windows Version number 
I still do not know why the other laptop did not download version 1903, but I have disabled that temporarily 

Never had any major problems with Toshiba laptops, the main issue has usually been Windows (hence why I replaced my previous one)
However, Hard Drive reliability is the weak point in my opinion, but that is expected when a laptop is moved every day (unlike a dektop)

1 hour ago, mjkerr said:

Would be cheaper in the long term just to replace both laptops, rather than just the Hard Drive

Not sure about that ... A 500GB 2.5" SSD is $75(US) -

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147674

The 1TB model is $130(US)

Not knowing specifically your laptop model don't know if the above will work with yours.

$75 is a lot less than a new gaming-capable laptop.

Memory and storage are cheap.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scoobflight said:

The 1TB model is $130(US)

Sadly here in the UK a new Hard Drive repair costs about half the cost of a new laptop, about £100 / $120 against £200 / $240
There comes a point where if it has been repaired twice, there is no point repairing a third time...

• Confused 1