The simFlight Network Forums

FILE: airlines.txt

cHabu

I downloaded a custom airport file and discovered the airlines.txt file contains several incorrect data.

I do not know if these are common, so i thought i'd start a list so other custom schedule editors can peek at the list and possible ammend their list.

(Perhaps @FeelThere can check their master file and possible ammend ?)

- Delete JAT/JU, replace by ASL/JU, AIR SERBIA, Air Serbia, Serbia

- Ammend TFL/OR: correct call sign is ORANGE, correct name is TUI Airlines Netherlands.

- Delete Contact Air (or replace with Kish Air, who is currently operating with code KIS, IATA Y9, and call sign Kishair.)

- Delete ECA, UI, EURO CYPRIA, Eurocypria Airlines, Cyprus, defunct since 2010.

- Delete TDK, PH, TDK, Transavia Denmark, Denmark, desolved april 2011.

- Defunct Airlines recent (as of 06 October 2019): Thomas Cook, Adria, XL Airways France (XLF).

To be continued  😉

1 hour ago, cHabu said:

I downloaded a custom airport file and discovered the airlines.txt file contains several incorrect data.

I do not know if these are common, so i thought i'd start a list so other custom schedule editors can peek at the list and possible ammend their list.

(Perhaps @FeelThere can check their master file and possible ammend ?)

- Delete JAT/JU, replace by ASL/JU, AIR SERBIA, Air Serbia, Serbia

- Ammend TFL/OR: correct call sign is ORANGE, correct name is TUI Airlines Netherlands.

- Delete Contact Air (or replace with Kish Air, who is currently operating with code KIS, IATA Y9, and call sign Kishair.)

- Delete ECA, UI, EURO CYPRIA, Eurocypria Airlines, Cyprus, defunct since 2010.

- Delete TDK, PH, TDK, Transavia Denmark, Denmark, desolved april 2011.

- Defunct Airlines recent (as of 06 October 2019): Thomas Cook, Adria, XL Airways France (XLF).

To be continued  😉

Nyerges Design is the developer of Real Traffic not FeelThere. The problem is ND started with the airlines file from T!2011 which had a lot of errors and obsolete airlines. Obviously through time, the file has grown with inaccurate data. And to actually make matters worse, there is an airlines file for every every airport compounding the issue..  

I appreciate your effort but cleaning this file up has been a 5+ year losing battle. I don't want to discourage you, but don't expect much change. 

I personally think we's be better off blowing things up and starting over. There also needs to be long term thought (not just the current band-aid approach) in adding cargo carriers that also serve commercially and regional airlines that serve multiple major carriers. 

I went the opposite, made a copy and in that removed all the airlines and started again!

For EGLL, this has also allowed me to separate some of the airlines into divisions, so that specific aircraft visit specific terminals (useful for Cargo from the same airline)
As an example for BA / BAW / Speedbird
BAE (Terminal 5A, 5B, and 3)
BAI (A380) 
BAW (Terminal 5B, 5C and 3)

4 hours ago, hexzed said:

I have spent a LOT of time tidying up my airlines.txt file 😄

Ben,

So have I. My airlines.txt file is a custom file as well. I compare my file with the latest RT airlines.txt file and amend MINE to reflect any new operators.

Also I have created a excell spreadsheet with a list of defunct airlines to cross reference to and update it as required. as best I can.

Kev M

Thanks for the feedback guys.

In that case i do hope the steam workshop will be enabled in a next version so we can make our own liveries and not be depended on inacurate files.
(It should not be so difficult to clean up these files, or am i wrong ?)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:07 PM, hexzed said:

Its not difficult to clean them up, its just time consuming.

In my custom airlines file i have over 1300 airlines listed so far

Was not planning to respond, but i can't help it to do just that.

Cleaning up the file that @nyergesdesign provided took me some 30 minutes, so 'time consuming' is not a valid excuses to provided 'us' with a faulty file like this  😉

I guess it depends what you mean by cleaning up.

I agree the Nyerges Design needs updating and Gabor should go through and tidy up his file, since we are paying for it

For me personally, my cleaning up process was to go through every IATA and make sure it was the correct ICAO, callsign and airline details, and then i added all missing airlines from the IATA database, so for me it was time consuming

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Sky King said:

Can somebody upload the corrected version or is this considered copyrighted material?

There is no official correct version. Additionally, people have made call sign mods to meet their individual tastes and accents. However, assuming one has purchased RT I see no issue with sharing this file (especially those creating custom schedules).

A key point for those that play multiplayer - both players must have the same airlines_txt file for it to work. 

• Upvote 1

As long as the airlines that will show up are listed it should not cause a problem from what I've done with mine in working on some schedules.  Though overall I prefer to keep all the airliners in there in case something shows up out of the norm or what have you to make it faster to make a schedule. 

5 hours ago, ATC AlaskaGuy said:

one thing I have done is grouped the airlines by region then will go through them all and figure out which ones r defunct

A list of airlines which can be grouped by region......now where have I seen that before in a list! 👀 🤔 😜