The simFlight Network Forums

Offsets free for general use

35 minutes ago, cellular55 said:

Are there some other possible offset addresses that can be used for general purposes?

Provided you are not using certain applications you can re-use the offsets assigned to them.  One example actually doumented in the list  is  04E0-0537 Project Magenta (88 bytes).

There are others but you'll need to tell me how much you need.

Many things can occupy just one bit (on/off indicators or switches), one byte (values up to 255, or signed -128 to 127(, so it is best to make good use of the space available.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for the usual fast replay!

I have already filled also the Project Magenta offsets and I'm already using multiple values for several used offsets.

Main new purpose for the request is that i would try to experiment and use D70 offset (I would build automated cockpit for aircrafts not using offsets/controls, but local variables) and I see that for that i need space for at least one Double/Float offset.

To have an additional space of 64 bytes could be perfect.

Thanks again

Joe

23 minutes ago, cellular55 said:

Main new purpose for the request is that i would try to experiment and use D70 offset (I would build automated cockpit for aircrafts not using offsets/controls, but local variables) and I see that for that i need space for at least one Double/Float offset.

4200-42FF if you don't use my own ESOUND.

Actually, that is obsolete these days, replaced by the Lua sound facilities. So i should make 4200-42FF also "for users" in FSUIPC4 and FSUIPC5 (just not FSUIPC3).

Pete

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, gr8guitar said:

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I wasn't really looking to change the name but was curious if there are "spare" offsets that string data can be written to them.

There are free user offsets documented at 66C0 to 66FF (see the offsets list). So those can be used for any string up to 64 bytes long (including final zero). If you want more and you are not using Project Magenta you could make use of the PM reserved offsets. 

Why not read this thread from the beginning, where you will find that such information has already been provided?

2 hours ago, gr8guitar said:

Also, will you be planning on providing FSUIPC to MSFS 2020? 

Please refer to the thread near here on that subject.

Pete

Hello. Yes, I know about 66C0 - 66FF, I guess I don't understand the format because I am not able to get 66C0 to except any ASCII or string information. No biggie, I found another way to get what I required. I don't understand: Please refer to the thread near here on that subject. Where is "near here?" Thanks for your time and info. 

7 hours ago, gr8guitar said:

I am not able to get 66C0 to except any ASCII or string information.

"Offsets" are just bytes of memory. Each byte can contain a number (0-255 or signed -128 to 127) or a character of a string, represented by its ASCII value, which is also a number (eg 65 = 'A').

Groups of adjacent bytes are read/written as different value types. A "WORD" is 16 bits which uses 2 bytes together 9eg 66C0 and 66C1), an int or a DWORD is 4 bytes, a double float uses 8 bytes, and strings of characters or arrays of numbers can use any number of bytes.

So, to write a string to 66C0 you just do so. in Lua it would be ipc.writeSTR(0x66C0, "this is a string").  At 66C0 there's only 64 spare offsets so you need to make sure you write no more than 64 characters, Thus: ipc.writeSTR(0x66C0, "this is a string", 64) would be safer.

So, what is the difficulty? I don't understand why you find yourself unable to do similar?

7 hours ago, gr8guitar said:

I don't understand: Please refer to the thread near here on that subject. Where is "near here?"

This forum has a number of "threads", seen as a list of subject titles. One of those titles is "MS Flight Simulator Support" and being quite recent is near this thread that you are reading! i.e. "HERE" is where you are reading at this very moment!

Sorry if you natural language is not English.

It is always worth scanning the list of titles to see if there's anything of interest or relevance to you, and also to see if your question has already been asked and answered.

Pete

Boy Pete! You've got to take a chill pill.

1) Again, you assume because it's so obvious to you that it should be obvious to everyone. Basics are important and I know you don't have time to teach basics on a continuous basis but perhaps providing a little background information can go along way.  I had the correct format: ipc.writeSTR(0x66CC, "a")  but what I did forget to notice was in the logging tab, under Type, there was an AsciiZ option (not sure what the Z is for).  And I did forget number shown was a decimal number converted from hexadecimal converted from ASCII. In the original example, I had: ipc.writeSTR(0x66CC,"Fly") where the logger showed  7957574. After further research I found 7957574 is 796C46(h), which looks like y-l-F. I was looking directly for the text itself. 

2) I wrote above that I did see this:  There are no addon developers in a position to do anything yet. Ask again in about 6 months. ☺️ This was in reference to the MSFS 2020 question where I indeed I search and found an answer and ended with a smiley face to show "I got it."  I did not find it in the FAQ or Announcements sections - hence asking directly. 

3) You wrote: Sorry if you natural language is not English. Why would you assume this !?!?!?:   This came off rude, prejudice and totally unnecessary. We've been conversing about FSUIPC for several years, I don't recall that there was a language issue before. And my profile shows locationusa. We do have many people that speak many different languages here but English is the official language here - especially among pilots - real and/or simmer.

3 hours ago, gr8guitar said:

Boy Pete! You've got to take a chill pill.

What is that supposed to mean? 

Are you objecting to me trying to explain things? I do it as clearly as i can!

If you don't like me trying to help I won't answer any more! I work as hard as i can to support my software as well as i can!

there was an AsciiZ option (not sure what the Z is for

Zero. It mens the ASCII string is terminated by a zero.

796C46(h), which looks like y-l-F. I was looking directly for the text itself

Intel stores numbers in memory with the least significant part first, hence the apparent reversal treating them as single bytes.

You wrote: Sorry if you natural language is not English. Why would you assume this !?!?!?:

I did not assume it at all, hence the "sorrt IF" part. the IF is a conditional. I felt as if I wasn't explaining things well enough.

Anyway, that's it from me. It seems obvious that you don't like my way of tryting to help, nor my English for that matter. Bye,