The simFlight Network Forums

Do I buy KJFK next?

blacklabelbraai

Hey everyone

So apart from the dissenting opinions here as to whether I should pay full price for a DLC or not...

I own the base 3 airports, with RT and RC

Should my next purchase be KJFK or another airport?

Logic: KJFK will provide more liveries so if or when I buy others, the chances are good that I will have non-white planes.

Is my logic flawed on the above point?

Secondly, if anyone doesn't agree with my proposed purchase of KJFK, can a reasonable argument be made for a substitution?

Thank!
BLB (Peter)

6 minutes ago, blacklabelbraai said:

Hey everyone

So apart from the dissenting opinions here as to whether I should pay full price for a DLC or not...

I own the base 3 airports, with RT and RC

Should my next purchase be KJFK or another airport?

Logic: KJFK will provide more liveries so if or when I buy others, the chances are good that I will have non-white planes.

Is my logic flawed on the above point?

Secondly, if anyone doesn't agree with my proposed purchase of KJFK, can a reasonable argument be made for a substitution?

Thank!
BLB (Peter)

If all you are looking for are the liveries; you can buy just the liveries and a different airport. You don't necessarily need the airport to have the liveries. For me at least, I purchase the liveries so I can have them and just buy the selected airports I want to control at. 

• Upvote 1

KJFK is not a bad add-on. It has relatively few bugs (as it has had a few SPs), and a complex taxiway layout together with crossing runways.  On the other hand,  it is one of the older ones, and does not benefit from some of the visual flare that the newest ones seem to have (i.e. EGKK, OMDB.  Also consider the fact that it has a relatively large territory, which will put a greater load on your PC, especially when running at higher traffic levels. While you are right that KJFK will give you a fairly wide variety of liveries (assuming you buy the RC) I would not really make that a huge priority, personally.  Instead, consider the following factors:

1. Which airport layouts do you find personally more interesting, or are there any add-on that feature airports with which you have a personal connection?  Even now (and I have been playing this game a long time), I am surprised how much of a difference this makes.

2. Carefully study the taxiway layouts of the airports your are considering.  They typically make a bigger impact on game play than the runway configuration.

3. If you have not done so, watch some YouTube videos of the airports you are interested in.  This will give you a very good idea at how each one plays.

The only airprots that I would tend to steer you away from at this point are KSFO (harder than most to get planes off the runway fast enough), LFPG (poor ground textures that may or may not be resolved by the developer), KLAS (the layout to me is awkward, and just does not feel satisfying, but this is my personal impression).

My personal favorites (not in any particular order, are KMCO, EGKK, OMDB, KLGA, and KBOS.  I also love KATL, but that's totally personal; the KATL addon has way more bugs than it should at this point.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Andrew

Wow, thanks for providing such a great response.

1 hour ago, Avwriter said:

Also consider the fact that it has a relatively large territory, which will put a greater load on your PC, especially when running at higher traffic levels

Hmmm I never thought about that. My laptop isn't particularly powerful so that will probably be a non-starter then.

I'm going to take a closer look at the 5 you mentioned.

Thanks again!

BLB (Peter)

9 hours ago, blacklabelbraai said:

Hi Andrew

Wow, thanks for providing such a great response.

Hmmm I never thought about that. My laptop isn't particularly powerful so that will probably be a non-starter then.

I'm going to take a closer look at the 5 you mentioned.

Thanks again!

BLB (Peter)

Happy to help.  One other item I just thought of and is worth considering is how many custom (user-made) schedules are available for a given airport.  Out of the ones I recommended, both KMCO and EGKK have a full week of schedules by Battlehawk77.  See the full list here https://charityalbumman.blogspot.com/2018/08/tower-3d-inc-pro-custom-schedules-list.html

BY the way, I did not mention YMML or CYVR simply because I have not tried them yet. Perhaps someone else might want to chime in on those...

Andrew

KMCO is a nice looking airport, but fairly bland from a traffic standpoint with parallel runways. One could argue it is a just north/south version of KLAX with less traffic. 

I have an old laptop and I don't ever recall having performance issues at KJFK. Despite the crossing runways, KJFK would be my personal choice since it has a little more personality. With all the various operational setups, it can be a lot of fun (once you figure out the crossing runway quirks). Additionally, there is no small plane traffic to mess things up like at KPHL and KBOS.

Bang for your buck, KJFK is my choice by far.

Just three things that annoy me on my by far favorite airport which happens to be JFK.

1) I find the 4s/22s pretty unusable because of the problems with landing aircraft creeping down the runway to F/H while the next aircraft is on final (it's the game engine's fault, but landing on 4R/22L shows it even worse). I've had several go-arounds for the simple reason that a CRJ, 319, or 717 took forever to get to those exits while another jet was already on the threshold.
2) The f-ing MA ramp where aircraft from several positions are dancing tango through the other planes and the terminal after giving taxi instructions.
3) The huge cargo ramp cluster which is not divided into portions, so that all landing cargo planes go to the gates alongside taxiway C and never ever to the S or Q area. A little boring, but compared to the other two points, this is peanuts.

Oh, and I hope in Tower XX's version (if there will be one) A and B will be usable in both directions (which, in reality, they are).

3 hours ago, DeltaVII said:

Oh, and I hope in Tower XX's version (if there will be one) A and B will be usable in both directions (which, in reality, they are).

It's been awhile since I've listened online, but A & B were always handled as one-way taxiways. Is this a recent change? Any documentation you can share? 

46 minutes ago, crbascott said:

It's been awhile since I've listened online, but A & B were always handled as one-way taxiways. Is this a recent change? Any documentation you can share? 

I've heard it a few times, actually. Especially when they try to sequence the aircraft at MA or V before the handover to the tower they use B to get inbound aircraft to the gate and outbound aircraft to 13R/22R. Right now, they're using the 4s, so I can't reproduce it, but there are Kennedy Steve vids where he does exactly that (like telling a Delta tug at LL to go left on A behind a Norwegian to go to HB or telling a Delta to transition from A to B at H to go to HB and wait for the alleyway to clear).

(In those cases, they make a "cut" - in a 13R-only scenario, all aircraft from ramp entries D to NB go counter-clockwise while all departures from F to MA go clockwise, for example. The general rule is that A goes clockwise and B goes counter-clockwise, but it's not written in the bible. It's just taxiways after all, and they utilize them like they need them.)

At least, that's my take from all that I've heard and observed from Kennedy Ground.

9 hours ago, blacklabelbraai said:

I've had a good look at those 5 and am now leaning towards KMCO.

Going to see if I can find a youtube video.

Found one from ATControl

https://youtu.be/eCLj3f0VRLo

KMCO is a nice one.  CRBscott is right about the traffic, but Battlehawk's week of schedules helps a lot.  It is not super super busy, but busy enough to be entertaining, just the right amount of flow for reaching the a solid traffic zen moment.  The taxiways also have a nice flow to them (quite different from KLAX) and it is by far the most colorful add-on in the daytime.

Andrew

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeltaVII said:

I've heard it a few times, actually. Especially when they try to sequence the aircraft at MA or V before the handover to the tower they use B to get inbound aircraft to the gate and outbound aircraft to 13R/22R. Right now, they're using the 4s, so I can't reproduce it, but there are Kennedy Steve vids where he does exactly that (like telling a Delta tug at LL to go left on A behind a Norwegian to go to HB or telling a Delta to transition from A to B at H to go to HB and wait for the alleyway to clear).

(In those cases, they make a "cut" - in a 13R-only scenario, all aircraft from ramp entries D to NB go counter-clockwise while all departures from F to MA go clockwise, for example. The general rule is that A goes clockwise and B goes counter-clockwise, but it's not written in the bible. It's just taxiways after all, and they utilize them like they need them.)

At least, that's my take from all that I've heard and observed from Kennedy Ground.

Makes sense - exceptions to the predominant rule would be necessary at times in real life.

However, I see this as a realistic player versus game player type of conundrum FT is faced with. In the current game design it allows players the ability to just TAXI TO RAMP and the AI figures out the best way home. With A & B as two-way taxiways, KJFK would be a mess for a "game player". Personally, I'd prefer more realism and would like to see more realistic taxi instructions and progressive taxi implemented. Assuming both player types are the target audience, how does FT make both happy?  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.   

1 hour ago, Avwriter said:

KMCO is a nice one.  CRBscott is right about the traffic, but Battlehawk's week of schedules helps a lot.  It is not super super busy, but busy enough to be entertaining, just the right amount of flow for reaching the a solid traffic zen moment.  The taxiways also have a nice flow to them (quite different from KLAX) and it is by far the most colorful add-on in the daytime.

Andrew

That brings up a good point, I got to where I quit playing single player because it wasn't near as fun to me as multi-player ... and it was weird just talking to "myself".  😃  That's probably why I like airports like KJFK more because it is better suited for multiplayer -in my mind,  more fun and realistic.  

16 hours ago, Avwriter said:

BY the way, I did not mention YMML or CYVR simply because I have not tried them yet. Perhaps someone else might want to chime in on those...

Andrew, I am a bit biased being an Aussie, but I have found YMML quite interesting & challenging at some times of the day due to the runwy setup. I have made a  one day custon schedule (not published)  using  timetable scheduled dep & Arr times with minor modifications. Also I have included ALL foreign operators  (some only operate on certain days) in the schedule. It can be challenging to control slow (dash 8-400, Atr42/72) aircraft to/from  the runways in amongst the jets/heavies etc. 

If there is any interest in the schedule I might publish it in the list of schedules. Like all custon schedules it has to be reviewwd as operators change into any airport.

Kev M

15 hours ago, Avwriter said:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, and everyone else that has weighed in.

I've found some info on landing/dep runways and it seems like 17L and 18R are used for landing and 17R / 18L for departure - does that seem correct?

On 10/11/2019 at 8:05 PM, 707FAN said:

Andrew, I am a bit biased being an Aussie, but I have found YMML quite interesting & challenging at some times of the day due to the runwy setup. I have made a  one day custon schedule (not published)  using  timetable scheduled dep & Arr times with minor modifications. Also I have included ALL foreign operators  (some only operate on certain days) in the schedule. It can be challenging to control slow (dash 8-400, Atr42/72) aircraft to/from  the runways in amongst the jets/heavies etc. 

If there is any interest in the schedule I might publish it in the list of schedules. Like all custon schedules it has to be reviewwd as operators change into any airport.

Kev M

I am biased too being a Kiwi lol - any chance of trying out your schedule please?  YMML always interested me even in my flightsimming days.

7 hours ago, Fordy said:

I am biased too being a Kiwi lol - any chance of trying out your schedule please?  YMML always interested me even in my flightsimming days.

Fordy, I just found an error in my schedule. When I fix it and am happy with it, I will flick accross to you via PM

Kev M