The simFlight Network Forums

What is involved with completely swapping out controllers?

While I have found variations to this question, I haven't seen anything specific regarding my query . . . so . . . here goes:

At the moment I am using FSX:SE with FSUIPC4 and LINDA. My equipment is: (All Saitek) Flight Yoke System (with one throttle quadrant), two additional throttle quadrants, pro flight rudder pedals, switch panel, and radio panel. I would like to, at times, remove the yoke and three throttle quadrants and replace them with the Saitek X52 H.O.T.A.S. Is there a way of doing this without losing key/button/axis/calibrations? I realize that those assignments will not directly carry over from one to another. I just don't want to lose all the programming and calibrations and have to redo those each and every time I swap out controller groups. 

I guess I have several questions, actually. One is how do I (assuming it is possible; I do seem to recall reading something about having multiple .ini files and/or profiles that allow for discrete controller selections) define one controller group (flight yoke, and three throttle quadrants) independent of the second (H.O.T.A.S)? The other is how do I (again, assuming it is possible) prevent the assignments from getting lost or reset? And lastly, what is necessary to avoid, and to prevent, controller assignments from getting scrambled between disconnection/re-connection? I use the joystick lettering, as advised, but even so, when I'd added the third throttle quadrant several months ago, both FSUIPC4 and LINDA recognized the older, second quadrant as the third, and the newer, third quadrant as the second. I'd rather not go through that again. 😩

Any advice, help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

~Masterius

If you are removing/adding USB devices, you should use the 'JoyLetters' facility - see section 'Keeping track of multiple control device' on p21 of the User Guide.

If you use this facility, FSUIPC will recognise your devices when they are re-connected and preserve your assignments.

Multiple ini files shouldn't be necessary, although there seem to be quite a few folks that use this method. Using JoyLetters and FSUIPC profiles (for different assignments for different aircraft) should be sufficient.

Cheers,

John

31 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

If you are removing/adding USB devices, you should use the 'JoyLetters' facility - see section 'Keeping track of multiple control device' on p21 of the User Guide.

If you use this facility, FSUIPC will recognise your devices when they are re-connected and preserve your assignments.

Multiple ini files shouldn't be necessary, although there seem to be quite a few folks that use this method. Using JoyLetters and FSUIPC profiles (for different assignments for different aircraft) should be sufficient.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the quick response, John! I do use the 'Joyletters', and have since almost Day 1. I think I understand things correctly, so here goes:

Controller 1 is a Saitek Flight Yoke, and has assigned to it Letter "A". The ailerons and elevators for that are associated with "A". Controller 2 is a Saitek X52 H.O.T.A.S., whose stick is assigned as 'B'. The ailerons and elevators for that are associated with "B". So although the .ini file might show multiple iterations of "aileron", "elevator", "throttle", etc, each of those iterations will be associated with their respective controllers. The same would occur for button and key assignments as well. Correct?

~Masterius