The simFlight Network Forums

Do I need to uninstall FSUIPC to completely uninstall FSX?

Hi Guys,

Well I've run into a bunch of problems with FSX. A while back Pete (and others) suggested I need to run SP1 and SP2 for FSX. Well I cannot run them. To that end I am now told I should uninstall fsx the reinstall fsx, then run SP1 and SP2. Fine but it's not quite as simple as just going to programs and features and uninstall fsx. Seem all the add-ons must also be removed, registry cleaned, bits and pieces of files in other places must be deleted. Ugh! Anyway, FSUIPC shows up in fsx as an add-on so I guess I have to remove it. But how? And if I do how do I get it back? I don't know if I still have my registration key around? Must be somewhere but I put FSUIPC on the computer 5 years ago and have only updated it since. Any advise would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul

37 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

A while back Pete (and others) suggested I need to run SP1 and SP2 for FSX. Well I cannot run them.

Why not?

Anyway, I think Sp2 includes SP1 so there should be o need to install both.

39 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

Anyway, FSUIPC shows up in fsx as an add-on so I guess I have to remove it.

No need to remove it, but if you really want to it is merely the FSUIPC4.DLL file in the Modules folder.

40 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

And if I do how do I get it back?

Run the Installer for the latest version, which you can download here (dowsnload Links subforum).

41 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

I don't know if I still have my registration key around?

A good reason not to delete it then. But in any case you can always get your registration again from your SimMarket account.

And always make backups. The key is saved in the FSUIPC4.KEY file in the Modules folder. Save that file, and of course your settings (FSUIPC4.INI).

Pete

Hi Pete,

Okay, you ask why SP1 won't install. It's because I get this error and if I try install SP2 it says I cannot install Sp2 Until SP1 has been installed. Does FSUIPC make registry entries? What I am told is all registry entries that are used by FSX must be uninstalled. I have no idea how any of this works and I am a bit reluctant to do this at all but it appears I have no choice. ProSim is not working now that I've upgraded to 2.23. And I do not have simconnect installed. Whatever that is. Ugh. I'm too old for all the techy stuff.

SP1ERROR.PNG

SP2ERROR.PNG

So Pete I do not know what to do. When I installed FSX the first time I  had a lot of trouble getting it to work. That much I recall. No doubt windows 10. I have no other add-ons to FSX just FSUIPC. I'd prefer to leave it alone. This is sad as I just got everything in my cockpit working....after 5 years.

12 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

Okay, you ask why SP1 won't install. It's because I get this error and if I try install SP2 it says I cannot install Sp2 Until SP1 has been installed. Does FSUIPC make registry entries? What I am told is all registry entries that are used by FSX must be uninstalled. I have no idea how any of this works and I am a bit reluctant to do this at all but it appears I have no choice. ProSim is not working now that I've upgraded to 2.23. And I do not have simconnect installed. Whatever that is. Ugh. I'm too old for all the techy stuff.

Oh dear. Seems that your FSX installation is well and truly messed up somehow. I'm afraid that, yes, you will need to uninstall it and get it nicely cleaned up, then install the main version, check it, then SP1, check it, then SP2. Check it. Only then start re-installing add-ons -- but be wary of installing anything in bulk. always check the system is still okay each time.

FSUIPC is relatively easy to re0install. Save your FSUIPC4.INI and FSUIPC4.KEY files and restore them to the Modules folder after re-installing it.

If you have a backup of your system from when it was last all working correctly you could try going back to that instead. I do backups regularly, and keep three past copies of backups. I use the AOMEI Backupper with is very good.

Pete

P.S. Aren't all the latest versions of ProSim aimed at P3D v4, not FSX?

Hi Pete,

Hmm. Don't know about ProSim leaning towards P3D but that would make sense wouldn't it? And no doubt whatever they are changing is somehow not compatable with this old FSX I have. What a mess. Ron tells me my computer is not up to the task of running P3D so I'm kind of stuck. Never thought the computer I have wouldn't be adequate to run a sim. It is an ASUS M51AD fourth gen I7, 3.1GHZ, 8mb cache, 12gb ram, 16gb expandable, NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 with 3gb video memory. Bought it 5 years ago. All that's on it is ProSim, FSUIPC and FSX and the regular MS stuff that I never use. Oh I also have navigraph. I really do not want another computer. I have 6 or 7 of them now. They just take up space. HAHA.

Hi Pete,

I just tried to make a copy of my C drive to a removable hard drive for a back up. Windows 10 won't let me even though I'm the administrator. I even went into CMD as administrator and put in the command at the prompt "net user administrator /active:yes" and the command was executed it will not let me copy most files. It says I need permission!! I hate windows 10. Since I have had it I am unable to do 90% of what I used to do taken for granted. It won't let me setup networks, copy files, install certain programs etc. To not let me make a backup is beyond belief! What a useless POS it is!!!!

2 hours ago, DrBrown said:

I just tried to make a copy of my C drive to a removable hard drive for a back up. Windows 10 won't let me even though I'm the administrator.

You need to use either the built-in Windows backup facilities, or, better, a back up program! As I said I use AOMEI -- the basic version is free and will do the job.  You also normally need a bootable partial system -- again Windows or an external program can do this -- in case you ever get corruption stopping a proper boot into Windows.

However, it is too late to take backups now everything is in a mess! I assume you are saying you never made any backups!? Oh dear. in that case it is a start-again job.

Pete

I have many backups going back to the first year. However, these backups are of ProSim, FSUIPC, WideFS and a few other programs. As you can tell I have never been able to backup the entire C drive. I suspect I will not be able to uninstall FSX since it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86) . This POS OS will not let me do anything with that folder. Logging in as admin does nothing. I even went into the registry and turned of user account control. It still won't let me copy the C drive!! Honestly Pete this has been going on for the last 5 years. For MS to push this piece of crap off OS on people is unthinkable. If it hadn't been for the blasted OS I would have had my cockpit working 3 years ago but I have had to come up with work arounds for everything. I had to trick it into letting me network my computers as it blocked my every attempt using the normal ways of setting one up. It kept telling me I lacked permission. It was nearly impossible to find out port numbers. Device manager wouldn't allow me to see certain things. I didn't have the necessary permission. On and on like this driving me crazy. I must have spent an entire week trying to figure out a way to network my computers. I purchased a new copy of Windows 7. I'm almost inclined to wipe the drive clean and start over with windows 7. At least I know it will let do what I need to do. But I guess I would not be able to do some of the newer stuff. What a mess!!

13 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

As you can tell I have never been able to backup the entire C drive

Well, a "System" backup is the first thing one should do when everything is working. That can be done easily using the facilities provided in Windows (yes, and in Win10), or by third party applications.

There's no point trying to "copy drive C".  Even if you could, that is not a backup. There are ways to get a complete image of a drive, but that really is not necessary and in any case cannot be done without either third party software or  linking the two drives together and using a copying device (I have one of these, used to make backups of my Yamaha Music Server disk).

13 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

I even went into the registry and turned of user account control. It still won't let me copy the C drive!! Honestly Pete this has been going on for the last 5 years. For MS to push this piece of crap off OS on people is unthinkable.

You are really trying to do the wrong things.  It isn't Windows, it is you! To backup the system use the Windows back up facilities OR a third party application.  You just keep repeating the same thing, that you cannot copy drive C. You shouldn't be trying to!

Anyway, since your system is already in a mess there's no point in backing it up. A backup of a mess is still a mess!

I think you are now in the wrong forum for help Try looking in AVSIM forums for those which might deal with computer messes, Sorry.

Pete

Okay. I told you Pete I am not a computer expert! I worked on mainframes not these messy little things. There's no need to be nasty. From my perspective (right or wrong) a backup is a copy of the c drive. I do not know all the computer buzz words or what the difference is between a copy of the c drive and what you call a backup. Sorry.

Paul

42 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

Okay. I told you Pete I am not a computer expert! I worked on mainframes not these messy little things

As did I. Mainframes with valves first of all, then discrete transisters, then , much later it seemed, integrated circuits -- minis by then.

44 minutes ago, DrBrown said:

There's no need to be nasty.

I'm sure I wasn't being nasty. I was only pointing out that you appear to be misinterpreting what Windows can do. There are built-in backup facilities which work well.

You are in the wrong place here because this is support for FSUIPC and WideFs, not for Windows. I'm sorry, but I repeat, you need to seek help for Windows, whether online or in your own PC.

Pete

Well Pete I tried that. In fact I went to MicroSoft for help. As expected they were no help. HAHAHA. Their idea of help is to bring my computer to a place 90 miles from here, leave it with them for a week, then drive back to pick it up with a new copy of windows 10 installed and all my data gone. Thanks a lot! So I just tried to use the windows back up facility. It appeared to be working fine but failed at the very end issuing a message that said it couldn't copy a program because it was open? Strange because what I read about this backup is it did so it does not matter if a program is currently running or not. Well the only things open was explorer and maleware bytes. I try and try and try. Nuts isn't it? 

Hi Pete, Just and FYI. I could not get windows back up facility to work. It kept bombing out at the end. So I downloaded the program you suggested ( AOMEI Backupper ). Worked like a charm!! Yippy. Okay now I have a backup...next uninstall FSX. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Paul

So I downloaded the program you suggested ( AOMEI Backupper ). Worked like a charm!! Yippy. Okay now I have a backup.

Okay, good. I've been using AOMEI for quite a while now.

Pete, I'm still using valves (vaccum tubes) in my ham radio amplifiers. They work the best!

Well, yes ... until they don't. but modern ones are more reliable, certainly. Vinyl record enthusiasts also enthuse about valvel amplifiers.

Pete

From purely and EE standpoint valves do a much better job of signal reproduction after amplification. It's just a fact. The tubes I'm using are decades old and working great. I just flick them with my finger every once in a while to knock the ionization of the anode. Keeps them humming along. HA. I'm an old analog guy. Like vinyl also.