The simFlight Network Forums

What type of microphone/headset?

Graavan

I chose not to use a full headset. With it I couldn't hear my wife call.  This may have been a goo thing. However, I chose this from World Commander

https://www.amazon.com/Executive-Communication-Systems-Professional-WordCommander/dp/B01M3VWP9N/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LQJTF4X584AD&keywords=word+commander+usb&qid=1574976635&sprefix=WORLD+COMMANDER%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-1

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2019 at 1:18 AM, Graavan said:

Please give specifics if possible please!

As long as it works... Who cares about specifics? I use headphones and a separate microphone. The microphone or headset should match the surroundings (possible background noise, etc.) and the bank account. And if you want to spend a bit more on a fancy one, you should do so as well. There won't be "the" mic!

I have used various headsets including plantronics and cheap Coles $9.00 specials. (Coles is a local supermarket chain here in Aus). All with mixed success. The main problem is the ear muffs falling apart. In desperation I bought an Aldi heaset on special. It had 3mm plugs and USB plug. I had mixed success with the 3mm plugs but in desperation plugged the USB plug and it worked great. No problems with voice recognition at all. I have not touched any settings and it works fine. 

In the past I have found that the microphione input volume can be critical. More is not necessarilly better. 

9 hours ago, EliGrim said:

As long as it works... Who cares about specifics?

I only asked for people to share specifics so that others may learn perhaps, or new people such as myself can buy something recommended in a thread like this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graavan said:

I only asked for people to share specifics so that others may learn perhaps, or new people such as myself can buy something recommended in a thread like this one.

I went for a budget solution using an Auna 900BL. (USB-B Condenser Microphone, frequency range 30Hz - 18kHz, sensitivity -32dB, SPL 136dB, s-t-n ratio 68dB, cardioid polar pattern, sampling rate 16/48kHz, about 50 bucks on sale)

For my purposes, casual gaming and occasionally recording a graphics tutorial, I am very happy with it.
But I know some YouTube Content Creators that are using a Blue Yeti (130 bucks) and have very good experiences with it for a microphone in the price range of around 100 dollars.

Edit: After our move, I used a $5 no-name headset for a few weeks. According to feedback in a Discord Chat it sounded horrible but when I was playing Tower!3D Pro I couldn't notice any difference in speech recognition.

Edited by EliGrim
  • Haha 1

I'm using a wireless Logitech H600 headset. I#m struggling a little with the microphone, because it picks up all kinds of noise from the street and my noisy neighbors as well as the noise from the right ear cup and messes up the voice recognition.

Before that, I used a wireless Creative Labs HS-1200 headset where I could place the microphone directly in front of my mouth. The reasons I replaced it were simply a dying battery and the small ear cups that hurt my ears after a while.

My perfect headset would be one to pull over my ears and lets me bend the microphone in front of my mouth (and has a pop filter).

I have the Logitech G430 - has nice padding around the ears and top of the head. The microphone is adjustable and somewhat bendable. For multiplayer sessions I would have the game sounds come out of my TV speakers and use the headset to hear my controller partner via Discord. Using the game PTT and a Discord keybind, the mic was used for both the game and partner communication. I never had anyone complain regarding the mic volume so I assume it’s good. We won’t go into the complaints about my controlling skills though. 😂

The beauty of the PTT/Discord keybind setup is that it wouldn’t distract my partner when the PTT key was pressed and I was issuing commands. Only when the PTT was released would my partner be able to hear me. The headset also has a mute button that I could use if I needed to sneeze, say “yes dear” to my wife, or the more common use - cuss! 🤣

So, all in all, I’ve been happy with the G430. 

• Haha 2

My headset has been a Kingston HyperX Cloud.  I had supplemented it with an Antlion Audio ModMic.  Very comfortable and good sound and for normal usage the mic was reliable and good.  In my current living arrangements, I'm in a large echo-prone room with 2 kids over the age of 11 playing games with their friends about 15-20' away.  I had trouble finding mic settings that worked well with T!3D and were reliable.

Most recently I picked up a FIFINE USB Microphone as a desktop mic with a bit more control.  I've been extremely happy using it with T!3D.

Thought I'd throw in my hat... I'm using the Logitech USB H390. It has padded but not over-ear phones and a noise cancelling microphone on the headset. I've had really great experiences with the noise cancellation (for the last year): I play in the front pass. seat in our car on the highway with windows rolled all the way down with car music going, and on airplanes at cruise altitude. Neither one with any difficulty while speaking rather quietly: driver and person in the seat next to me (I like the window seat 😄) can't hear me talking to the aircraft. Highly recommended, low cost.

• 3 years later...

Personally, I've been experimenting with different options, but right now I'm using a Corsair Void RGB wireless headset. It's been working pretty well for me so far. However, if you're specifically interested in ASMR, you might want to consider checking out asmrmicrophones.com. They have a bunch of great mics tailored specifically for ASMR enthusiasts. You can find some really cool options there that might take your recordings to the next level. I'm pretty new on this forum myself, but I've already learned a lot from the amazing people here.

Edited by DevinBlack

On 11/26/2023 at 8:02 PM, DevinBlack said:

Personally, I've been experimenting with different options, but right now I'm using a Corsair Void RGB wireless headset. It's been working pretty well for me so far. However, if you're specifically interested in ASMR, you might want to consider checking out asmrmicrophones.com. They have a bunch of great mics tailored specifically for ASMR enthusiasts. You can find some really cool options there that might take your recordings to the next level. I'm pretty new on this forum myself, but I've already learned a lot from the amazing people here.

You can still learn stuff here, but the forum itself is dead. Support and discussion has moved to FeelThere's Discord server.