The simFlight Network Forums
Guest Burkhard

A small Poll

Guest Burkhard

Dear friends,

I need some feedback and opinions on the following topic:

We know that one airline leaves market per day, one new face shows up. Now MyTraffic got bad critics in a review with the major blame to show an airline that ceased operation this spring, Ansett Australia. What is your opinion for a service pack:

a) only show operating airlines at the day of the publication-

b) show as many as possible, even historic (up to PAN AM times)

c) take a decent estimator of modern flight simulation time (release of FS2000) and show everything operating after that date.

Personally, I would prefer option A

Assuming that if anyone requires historic/defunct stuff, they can do it (simply ?) with the Editor.

Meaning, keep the textures but delete the flight plans.

Martin

I think setting a date and working from that is a good idea, either (A) or ©. As TBDScotland mentiond, still included the Textures but not the flight plans and then leave it up to the individual to decide if he wants to include the obsoltete airlines in his MYTraffic Flight plans.

I support option A also. Much as I'd like to see a complete suite of 50', 60's, 70's etc base packs that is for the future. For now focus should be on maturing out the current offering based on real world airlines, models, schemes, destinations and traffic volumes.

I also agree with option A.

But to complicate things :wink: , what about patches issued once in a while to update to the "current" situation?

Wilson

Sidney,

You are absolutely correct.

Then, on the other hand, if method A is chosen, then anyone who wanted to have dead airlines flying around could ADD those, as Martin mentioned above :D

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Then, on the other hand, if method A is chosen, then anyone who wanted to have dead airlines flying around could ADD those, as Martin mentioned above :D

Sure, you can get the same results either way. I'm assuming, though, that it's easier to exclude airlines than it is to add them. Maybe my assumption is incorrect, or maybe it's not. I guess the important thing is that it be done whichever way will be less fuss and bother for the user. I'm lazy. :lol:

Sidney:

By George, I think you may be correct.

Judging from some of the more recent posts, adding new airlines/schedules using the editor appears to be quite a task.

I'm still waiting to read that manual that is being developed. I may pass on the editor and be, uh, lazy :wink:

Regards,

Wilson

I'm not a big sucker for realism, and I wouldn't care much if I ran into a distinct airliner. Changes are, I wouldn't even notice it. Anyway, exercising my constitutional right to vote, I vote A. :)

However, I want to say that the reasoning that you can always use the editor to fix what you don't like severely conflicts with what makes MyTraffic interesting to me. I love it because I don't want to spend much time fiddling around. I prefer to fly.

Hi, when I summarize, I conclude:

a) the new MyTraffic.bgl included into the Service Pack will not show airlines that are known to be off service.

b) I will put another one onto a server for optional downlaod that shows all liveries in action.

Hi, I accept this job with the only condition that I'm allowed to arrest local rulers case they brake any international treaty.

I think more importantly it would make sense to keep the traffic to where it should be. I noticed some strange traffic (Southwest at Guam Intl., US Airways at Pago Pago Intl). I know it looks good to have a lot of different airlines in different locales, but I think having realistic airline schedules is rather important for the overall process. On the topic at hand, I think that maintaining current airlines by udating maybe every couple years is enough.

Hi, this is a nice example. Guam Intl. is, from its legal status, to my knowledge a US airport. Thus, US airlines may use it as departure base, and from what I know they do.

Same will happen with Tahiti ore Reunion, which is a French airports, so you may see Air France operating from there - they do as far as I know.

True, Guam is a US territory, but Southwest doesn't fly out of the continental United States. I know I have found other airlines that are out of place. Flying south between Tokyo to Guam I just did a quick 'chase view' of nearby traffic and found a B737-200 in US Airways colors! Now, all you have to do is check the US Airways webpage and you'll see that US Airways only International destinations are to the Caribbean and Europe. I also saw Southwest in central Canada yesterday (non-stop flight from Pease ANGB, NH to Andersen AFB, Guam), and I know that Southwest has no destinations in the North central section of the US, or in Canada (or ANY other international destination). I guess what I'm saying is that I saw the My Traffic program, thought that it did all that ProjectAI did, and was hooked on the fact that it was all encompasing (or planned to be), and especially the sound file upgrades. I know that you guys get your aircraft repaints from PAI. Maybe you should look into getting your airline schedule information form them as they seem to be very accurate. I had all the PAI files installed before buying My Traffic, and I never noticed any airline out of place for where it shouldn't be. Don't get me wrong...My Trafic is a GREAT advancement for FS2002. I just think that maybe some closer attention should be paid to getting the airlines at the correct destinations, IMH.

Thanks for that clarification.

A small correction, only the models originate from PAI, not the paints, and when you count the paints on the PAI pages (9 x A321, 11 x 732,17x 733, 7 x 734, ,5 x 735) you see that PAI only covers a small corner of the world.

So, if Southwest is a domestic airline only, we can easily ban it from Canada. You know which airlines can be found at Guam?

Oh, I stand corrected. Please don't misunderstand me...I'm not directly comparring My Traffic to PAI. I have been a supporter of PAI since it first launched, and even donated some $ earlier to help them out. I know that you have a MUCH more complete selection of airlines flying, and we appreciate that. Now, as far as Guam goes, I attached a web page for Guam, that shows the airlines that are there. I know you guys are just starting, but like I said a making a more realistic AI environment as far as locations for airlines would make My Traffic outstanding! Besides...not having to create *.bgl files for airlines that don't belong somewhere would be less work for the developers! Somebody had to create all those extra Southwest, US Airways, and America West (another wrong Guam visitor), and using published airline schedules would cut down on the extra files created.

This is one for you...I was just checking Hobart in Tasmania and what do I find....Air New Zealand ????

Sorry to upset you, But Tasmania is NOT part of New Zealand, it part of Australia and Tasmania doesn't have Air New Zealand flying either domestic or International flights !!!

Also, Ansett closed in spring of 2001, not 2002 :-)

So, Air New Zealand is so stupid not to offer you hourly connections to their main hubs? They should adjust their schedules, fire their stupid managers and share the profits of my algorithm with you.

If you do not want, I can make it not to visit, wouldn't that be a pity?