The simFlight Network Forums

anyone heard anthing about the next airport

ATC AlaskaGuy

4 hours ago, ATC AlaskaGuy said:

I know what the hold up is with ksea it's because they r adding things to it IRL there will be a sky bridge like what egkk has but taller and longer

Airports are always under construction or undergoing modernization programs. If FeelThere or Nyerges only chose airports where no work was being done all we would get is grass airstrips from airports out in the middle of nowhere.

KMEM was released with major terminal work being done, EDDF is about to be released despite major work being done, and KLAX, KPHL, and KJFK all had major taxiways and other areas built that aren't in the game. KDFW is about to add a new terminal, runway, and taxiways. I'm sure there's more examples and none of this has stopped these airports from being released thus far.

So, there is no "hold up". For your sake, hopefully they'll work on it at some point.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, bartccost said:

Airports are always under construction or undergoing modernization programs. If FeelThere or Nyerges only chose airports where no work was being done all we would get is grass airstrips from airports out in the middle of nowhere.

KMEM was released with major terminal work being done, EDDF is about to be released despite major work being done, and KLAX, KPHL, and KJFK all had major taxiways and other areas built that aren't in the game. KDFW is about to add a new terminal, runway, and taxiways. I'm sure there's more examples and none of this has stopped these airports from being released thus far.

So, there is no "hold up". For your sake, hopefully they'll work on it at some point.

Eloquently put sir! 😀

6 hours ago, bartccost said:

Which airport have you enjoyed the most so far?

Good question @ATC AlaskaGuy, existing airport compatibility has been brought up before and is a wishlist item. However, we’ll have to wait and see as the official features of the next version have not been announced yet.

Personally, I think the next version really needs to step things up graphically (take things to the next level as Vic mentioned early on). Referring to Vic’s post in this thread - getting a new weather system will be a positive. But none of the existing airports (especially an outdated version of KLAX) can be touted as having best in class graphics.

Hopefully, they can can make both camps happy - those that want to use the existing airports and those that want to see something new and very much improved both functionally and graphically.

• Upvote 2

Please do NOT quote me, consider it a bar talk, semi-drunk mumbling in a bar 🙂  (by the way would there be an interest for some blog from us where we will post about things like this?)

Currently we are working on a new environment system that includes lighting and weather. It's not an update of the current one instead a brand new built from scratch. To give you some idea; you will see the raindrops moving on the glass in the direction and speed of the wind. The whole atmosphere will react to the weather. Just by looking outside you will see the direction and the strength of the wind. I'm not going to tell you (yet) the other exciting features but we are using the current KLAX model to our test and it looks so much better already. 

On the 3D side; we are moving into the direction of full PBR. Some our new airports we release for the current Tower!3D and Pro product are the testbeds and probably you will see some improvements soon (no guarantee as we don't know if the current engine will allow us to show them). 

Also one of the top priority is an airplane/airport builder that is relatively easy to use and we can release to the public. It will break the current models for sure and new standard needs to be set. It brings up to your question regarding compatibility etc. I'm asking you to please continue reading it and not to jump into a conclusion after the next sentence 🙂

The current airport models will not work with the new Tower version. But, we are working hard to somehow bring them into the next version. The questions we are asking ourselves if we somehow convert them into the new version:
-they will not be updated to a new layout because if we start editing them (for new taxiways and terminals) then we need to bring them to the then "current" quality which is pretty much making them from scratch. We can't remake them from scratch and offer them as a free upgrade. So we either keep the old layout (the one we have now) and offer the airport for free or release them as new. We need to think which decision will cause less harm (no matter which one we'll pick someone is going to be unhappy; if it's a free compatibility patch then someone will complain for the old layout or if we rebuild them to the new standard and ask money for it then we are going be the greedy developers...)
-distribution: if you got it from us directly, no problem we can control the distribution of the update (if we decide to go that way) but likely won't be able to do that with some 3rd parties. We always suggest to buy every product directly from the developers. You support them firsthand and make easier to such an updates, etc.

These are the questions we are discussing within the team. It's very early to answer them as things are still flexible. 

Thank you

Vic

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FeelThere said:

(by the way would there be an interest for some blog from us where we will post about things like this?)

If you're buying the drinks, heck yes! Seriously though, a "read-only!" blog with hopefully reasonably regular updates on the new version would be an excellent idea.

Thanks though for what you have provided above by way of info.

Thanks

BLB (Peter)

6 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Please do NOT quote me, consider it a bar talk, semi-drunk mumbling in a bar 🙂  (by the way would there be an interest for some blog from us where we will post about things like this?)

Currently we are working on a new environment system that includes lighting and weather. It's not an update of the current one instead a brand new built from scratch. To give you some idea; you will see the raindrops moving on the glass in the direction and speed of the wind. The whole atmosphere will react to the weather. Just by looking outside you will see the direction and the strength of the wind. I'm not going to tell you (yet) the other exciting features but we are using the current KLAX model to our test and it looks so much better already. 

On the 3D side; we are moving into the direction of full PBR. Some our new airports we release for the current Tower!3D and Pro product are the testbeds and probably you will see some improvements soon (no guarantee as we don't know if the current engine will allow us to show them). 

Also one of the top priority is an airplane/airport builder that is relatively easy to use and we can release to the public. It will break the current models for sure and new standard needs to be set. It brings up to your question regarding compatibility etc. I'm asking you to please continue reading it and not to jump into a conclusion after the next sentence 🙂

The current airport models will not work with the new Tower version. But, we are working hard to somehow bring them into the next version. The questions we are asking ourselves if we somehow convert them into the new version:
-they will not be updated to a new layout because if we start editing them (for new taxiways and terminals) then we need to bring them to the then "current" quality which is pretty much making them from scratch. We can't remake them from scratch and offer them as a free upgrade. So we either keep the old layout (the one we have now) and offer the airport for free or release them as new. We need to think which decision will cause less harm (no matter which one we'll pick someone is going to be unhappy; if it's a free compatibility patch then someone will complain for the old layout or if we rebuild them to the new standard and ask money for it then we are going be the greedy developers...)
-distribution: if you got it from us directly, no problem we can control the distribution of the update (if we decide to go that way) but likely won't be able to do that with some 3rd parties. We always suggest to buy every product directly from the developers. You support them firsthand and make easier to such an updates, etc.

These are the questions we are discussing within the team. It's very early to answer them as things are still flexible. 

Thank you

Vic

I have the basic computer I can run it on medium setting an it runs fine will I need to get a new system to run my the new game 

9 hours ago, FeelThere said:

🙂

🙂

Stupid question what is pbr an like what improvement could we see with the new airports if the improvements work 

13 minutes ago, Braf123456 said:

what is pbr

In association with computer graphics it is Physically Based Rendering. PBR is the attempt on a mathematical level to render light in such a way that a photorealistic, simulated computer model is created.

Edit: Did a quick search to make sure not to tell nonsense: http://www.codinglabs.net/article_physically_based_rendering.aspx

Edited by EliGrim
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EliGrim said:

In association with computer graphics it is Physically Based Rendering. PBR is the attempt on a mathematical level to render light in such a way that a photorealistic, simulated computer model is created.

Edit: Did a quick search to make sure not to tell nonsense: http://www.codinglabs.net/article_physically_based_rendering.aspx

I thought it was Professional Bull Riding. This makes a lot more sense. 😂

• Haha 4

@FeelThere

As requested Vic, I am not going to quote you but I would like to buy you another drink at the bar while you listen to my legally drunk ramblings. 🍻 

Very excited to hear about the graphic and engine improvements. The airport/airplane builder is also very much a positive. You mentioned early on that the next version should take things to the next level and I really think that should be the mantra for everything related to the next version.

Regarding current airports. To be honest, people are calling you greedy now by releasing new airports despite having a flawed game engine. On the other hand, there seems to be a substantial audience that is willing to pay full price (versus waiting to the next sale) and gobble up airports as soon as they are released. A compatibility patch makes sense - this would appease the budget conscious and those heavily invested in T!3D. For new and existing customers that want a best in class product and want to see outdated airports receive much needed improvements, we will either need to rely on you or the community via the airport builder. 

Personally, I see this as a new version and don't expect compatibility. I see no greed in releasing the same airports for the new version. If all I get is a 2010 outdated version of KLAX, despite a new engine I'm probably out. To be brutally honest, my hometown airport KDFW doesn't appeal to me with T!3D or the new version. I want to see next level stuff.

Thanks for listening. I'll get us both an Uber. 

Cheers,  
Craig

PS - Definitely interested in a blog. Great idea!

• Upvote 1