The simFlight Network Forums

Issues with selecting approach mode - SOLVED

ccaughey565

Hi guys, is anyone having an issue that the aircraft (E170/190) will go into GA TRACK on final and then not allow for the selection of APP as it stays locked in GA TRACK/

hoping someone knows how to resolve this, probably a mistake on my end as I'm normally an A319 man

--

Mods edit: added 'solved' to subject line

On 1/17/2020 at 4:49 PM, ccaughey565 said:

Hi guys, is anyone having an issue that the aircraft (E170/190) will go into GA TRACK on final and then not allow for the selection of APP as it stays locked in GA TRACK/

hoping someone knows how to resolve this, probably a mistake on my end as I'm normally an A319 man

Hey, 

If the aircraft is getting into GA/TRACK mode during the approach itself, it seems that you have by whatever reason hit the TO/GA button or somehow similar.

A reactivation of the APP mode, so ILS/VOR/NDB/RNAV, in this situation of GA thrust application and initiation of the Go Around Procedure is actually deemed unsafe and should actually be prevented. If it happens, fly the Missed Approach, line up once again and have a look if it happens again. 

In case you cannot explain yourself how you could activate the TO/GA Mode and that the situation is replicable, could you give us a short insight on what the situation was, so which height AGL, config, actions from your side? 

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, ccaughey565 said:

I know what you are saying. Typically, when on vectors to intercept the course, we have LOC armed through selection of the NAV or LOC button depending on the aircraft. Once the aircraft has intercepted the LOC, we then select the APP button. We do this to keep the aircraft from inadvertently descending on a false glides slope or glide slope if we are not on course. This ensures that you are only descending when you are within the obstacle protected area.

In the Feel There model, If you have armed the LOC by selecting NAV and you have intercepted the LOC, the aircraft will revert to roll mode when you hit APP.

Selecting APP should only arm the GS. 

On 1/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, Triholer said:

Hey, 

If the aircraft is getting into GA/TRACK mode during the approach itself, it seems that you have by whatever reason hit the TO/GA button or somehow similar.

A reactivation of the APP mode, so ILS/VOR/NDB/RNAV, in this situation of GA thrust application and initiation of the Go Around Procedure is actually deemed unsafe and should actually be prevented. If it happens, fly the Missed Approach, line up once again and have a look if it happens again. 

In case you cannot explain yourself how you could activate the TO/GA Mode and that the situation is replicable, could you give us a short insight on what the situation was, so which height AGL, config, actions from your side? 

Regards

I'm going to take it on a small flight here now (I had to take a few days away due to work reasons). The incident happened on approach to ILS22 at EGAC. I'll see if the same happens again after some tinkering with the TO/GA button