The simFlight Network Forums

Autobrake and Speed Brakes

rowcoach

Good afternoon,

Ive had the Emb 175/95 since before Christmas, but today was my first attempt at flying it. Noticed a couple issues with the Emb 175. The autobrake dial was set at RTO even when I started up cold and dark. I was unable to move it out of RTO. When I retracted the landing gear, it stayed at RTO. The next issue was when I tried to deploy speed brakes. It’s get an aural warning as well as a message saying that speed brakes were inoperable. However, when I landed, the spoilers deployed automatically. 

Sorry if this has brought up already. I did a quick search, didn’t see anything. I’m assuming it was because I had forgotten something when I was initially setting up the aircraft. Have t tried in the 195, but will late. I don’t own the 170/190 so am unable to see if it happens there as well. I do have the hot fix installed. 

Thanks you in advance,

colin

Thanks for the reply.

The speed brake issue happened both in the air and on the ground. I have a throttle quadrant with the speed brake mapped to one of the levers. I would get the speed brake inoperable warning as soon as I moved the lever. From an outside view, the brakes do not deploy. I also tried using the ‘/‘ key and I get the same result. 

I’m away from the sim now, but I’ll try to a screen shot of the warning message when I’m on later. 

On a side note, What is the best way to load fuel? Is it from the payload page in the sim itself?

Cheers,

colin

Thought I’d send out a short update. Did a short flight yesterday from CYRB to CYUB and here is what I found. 

Autobrakes - the animation of the dial doesn’t work when the e175 is first loaded. I can confirm that if you select a different repaint of the e175, everything appears to work as it should. When I landed, the autobrakes did engage. 

Spoilers/speed brakes - when on the ground, cannot deploy. When I move the lever forward, I see a message saying the spoilers are inoperative. This also happens after takeoff when in the air. However, when starting my initial descent into Tuktoyaktuk, I was able to successfully use the speed brakes to slow myself when needed. I had full control of the speed brakes all the way down to landing. Once on the ground and the spoilers were retracted, the speed brakes no longer worked. 

I did notice a couple new issues - first was the auto throttle. I think this one is on me as I don’t think I’m using it correctly. As I start the take off roll, TOGA is on as is AT. The speed dial is on FMS. Throttles are advanced to about 40% then moved slowly forward until the AT takes over. At this point I moved my throttles all the way forward. About midway through my climb, both engines start to spool all the way back. The only way to fix this was to disengage the AT, pull my throttles all the way back to idle and then move them forward and manually control the speed of my climb. If I moved my throttles full forward, they immediately spoil back. I am able to re-engage the AT successfully as long as my throttles are not full forward. I do seem to remember reading somewhere that this is the way it’s supposed to be. 

Second issue was with VNAV. it took me a while to figure out how to maintain my cruise altitude. If I use Alt Hold, the plane appears to oscillate above and below the selected altitude. Selecting VNAV was the only way I was able to hold my cruise altitude. This is probably operator error as well. 

Last thing I noticed was a fuel tank lo temp warning. Slowing down didn’t turn it off. It also stayed on all the way down until I landed.

I had my hands full for parts of the flight, but it is a fun plane to fly. Not sure if it would actually be used on small gravel strips.

Cheers,

colin

1 hour ago, rowcoach said:

Autobrakes - the animation of the dial doesn’t work when the e175 is first loaded

Please add your comments to the link I shared before relating to the autobrake so the SP1 team has the information at a single point (not spread across multiple threads).  Link also reshared here -

Spoilers/speed brakes - when on the ground, cannot deploy.

Yep.  Correct function just like the real planes.  On Ejet it takes a computer override by a support tech to get the speedbrakes to extend when the plane is on-ground - this is not simulated.

Also, in flight make sure throttles are in flight idle or the spoilers will not deploy.

first was the auto throttle.

Please read and post in the thread linked here -

figure out how to maintain my cruise altitude

Please read and post in the thread linked here -

fuel tank lo temp warning

Please review the manual.  This is covered in the EICAS MESSAGES section.  See page 116.