The simFlight Network Forums
noll17

Problem after update to STB Client 4.2.2020.01900 Update for Prepar3D-V4

Hello,

After the update to STB Client 4.2.2020.01900 for Prepar3D-V4 I have a problem.

When I run Compile Airports (Airports Database) I get this error message.
The problem is only related to MakeRwys 4.891.STB.thumb.jpg.c6b078dfa2654c472e3b0af8c790074f.jpg

With Makerwys 4.871 there are no problems is OK.

That's strange, because there's a well tested fix already in place to handle the floating point numbers that makerwys is now generating.  I'll look into it and get back to you

Thanks

Simon

hello cedric,
Thank you for getting in touch.
Now it is no longer an isolated case.

Maybe Simon will find a solution to this problem.

Uwe

2 hours ago, noll17 said:

hello cedric,
Thank you for getting in touch.
Now it is no longer an isolated case.

Maybe Simon will find a solution to this problem.

Uwe

And of course if it is humanly possible to fix it, I will.  This is why we do betas, a program runs perfectly here but not so for everyone else.

OK, while I don't have the problem here, I've written a new way of rounding numbers to a whole number.  I don't know why the inbuilt .net routies are not working, but this one does it slightly faster anyway.

Please try out this version of FSObjects and report back, the instructions are the same as before.  Note the version number of the updated FSObjects, V4.2.2020.03300.

1) In your STB Install folder, make backup copies of FSObjects.dll and FSObjects.pdb

2) Download the zip, and unpack into your STB Install folder.  This should replace both FSObjects files above with the debug versions (4.2.2020.03300)

3) Switch on verbose tracing as per Appendix C of the STB user guide.

4) Recreate the problem.  When it occurs, close down STB

5) Send me the trace file, and switch off the trace.

FSObjects.V4.2.2020.03300.zip

Hello Simon,

sorry I had set the trace settings to information.

I have now set it to verbose.

I have now used the two files from the last post, FSObjects.V4.2.2020.03300.

I ran Make Runways and Compile Airports, there were no problems or errors, Perfect.

I hope the file is now correct.

regards

Uwe

STBClient.Trace.rar

8 hours ago, noll17 said:

Hello Simon,

sorry I had set the trace settings to information.

I have now set it to verbose.

I have now used the two files from the last post, FSObjects.V4.2.2020.03300.

I ran Make Runways and Compile Airports, there were no problems or errors, Perfect.

I hope the file is now correct.

regards

Uwe

STBClient.Trace.rar 1.7 MB · 0 downloads

Hello Uwe,

I checked your trace and it looks like the airport altitudes are working correctly now.  STB is rounding down to the nearest whole number in each case, so altitude 100.99 becomes altitude 100.  However STB does not require super accurate altitudes, as the only place I recall it being used are in the observer based views and a one foot error makes no noticable difference there.  So I'd say the fix is good, and I'll commit it to the next update which should come soon now.

Many thanks for checking this out for me

If anyone else wants to try, please do and let me know the outcome!

Thanks
Simon

Just wanted to report this 202001900 update works well, for me, in the Server / Client mode on separate machines.

A small thing I noticed is that, on my Client, set for showing Arrivals, the setting precision to '0' instead of the default '3' does not round down the miles from the airport.

Otherwise, packages installed seamlessly on Server and Client. Running the new 'MakeRunways' and Database worked as it should.

(I have yet to try making icons to replace the default 'X' icon at the many Aussie 'Yxxx' airports that I do not have airport images for. This is an excellent feature.) 

Aussie

58 minutes ago, Aussie1234 said:

Just wanted to report this 202001900 update works well, for me, in the Server / Client mode on separate machines.

A small thing I noticed is that, on my Client, set for showing Arrivals, the setting precision to '0' instead of the default '3' does not round down the miles from the airport.

Otherwise, packages installed seamlessly on Server and Client. Running the new 'MakeRunways' and Database worked as it should.

(I have yet to try making icons to replace the default 'X' icon at the many Aussie 'Yxxx' airports that I do not have airport images for. This is an excellent feature.) 

Aussie

Interesting observations and thanks for the good results.  I don't think I've tried precision 0.  Did it used to work differently than now?  I may just truncate rather than round, I'd have to look at the logic.

There are too many airlines and airports in the world right now, managing the logo library is a never ending task!

Simon

I've been working 16 hours today, and then decided I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Looking at the code, I effectively do a "round (airport arrival distance, 0)" in the case you mention.  This goes to a the default rounding method of "nearest even number" which I don't think is what we want.  The alternative is nearest number away from zero, which rounds up for numbers greater than .5 and down for numbers less than .5

Here's the good stuff.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.math.round?view=netframework-4.8#midpoint-values-and-rounding-conventions

I'll need to change my code for the next update.