The simFlight Network Forums

Beta-Testing by users? Features and/or Airports!

The Computer Dood

Have Tower3D Pro - Love the game.  I have bought airports - Having the best time of my life. Do you ever allow Outside Beta-Testers?  I would love to help improve the product (Not that the product needs must improvement) - I hear that some runways and/or gates don't work.  I am sure as with any software-product, you beta-test until you feel it is "GOOD ENOUGH" for commercial sale.  Just wondering.  Also I plan to add the command.mod file, to allow additional features to be used.  I made a suggestion for more GA/Military traffic.  Is there one Airport that has more GA and/or Military traffic?  

Thank you for a wonderful product.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, bartccost said:

What mod are you talking about? What additional features?

I saw a posting that someone wrote a mod that added additional commands to the Voice Commands.  Not sure if those are authorized or not.  It was mostly taxi instructions and the lot.  Also I have been reading about custom schedules.  Since I love GA aircraft, I was thinking to loading schedules for GA aircraft, instead of the "BIG TIN" Airline aircraft.  

@The Computer Dood To be honest "new commands" is a bit of an oversell. These are all existing commands with tweaked parameters. Not to take anything away from @EliGrim, but most of these voice "mods" were done by others. However, he's done a great job of consolidating it all into one place. Additionally, his other tools are top notch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crbascott said:

To be honest "new commands" is a bit of an oversell.

Wait, what!?! Are you saying I have not invented the wheel? 😁🤣

I need to up the game! A year ago I once toyed with the idea of an online schedule generator. I guess now is the perfect time to realize it. 😉

3 hours ago, EliGrim said:

I need to up the game! A year ago I once toyed with the idea of an online schedule generator. I guess now is the perfect time to realize it. 😉

There are those in here that might be interested in such a thing. 😊

6 hours ago, EliGrim said:

Lol - you've definitely improved the wheel, that's for sure.

Regarding a schedule generator, @dickparker built a Schedule Creator for Tower!2011. T!2011 had just one massive schedule file so it was not community custom schedule friendly. Dick's SC was a nice alternative and was really appreciated by those that wanted increased traffic. Theoretically SC can still be used for some of the T!3D airports but the base data is old so, to be honest, the tool has lost its usefulness.

Good luck, if you decide to pursue this. I thought about it myself but decided to go the 7-day route for my custom schedules instead.

• Like 1

but the base data is old

At first I also thought about a database of real flights, from which schedules are created according to selected criteria by the user. But I got away from that and went another way. I call it the No-White-Aircraft-Approach.

With my tool the schedules will be generated using the provided liveries of the RC Pack for the selected airport. So if you have the airport's RC Pack, you will not see any white planes.
However, this also means that an insanely high number of calculations is needed, so that e.g. Atlanta does not have 60 Boutique flights per hour and only 2 Delta flights. That would be weird. So the different airlines have to be prioritized, taking into account the terminal sizes and the selected schedule volume and the weighting of arrivals and departures.  In addition, the numbers in the callsigns should also be plausible, but so far this is only a dream of mine.
Nobody should expect the tool to be available in the next few days!

Nevertheless, here a sneak peek:

schedbuildprev002a.jpg.0010baa7a0baf8a24ee072202adda268.jpg

Good luck, if you decide to pursue this.

Thanks a lot, I'll need it and I already hate myself! 😄

I no longer intend to hold this thread hostage. As soon as there is something to report, I will do it in my tools thread.
@The Computer Dood please excuse for getting a little off-topic here.

Well, when I first showed that 'new' voice commands could be added nearly 3 years ago and hex edited the files to fix a few defferred runways etc. I was hoping that some of the errors I pointed out would be fixed, as they are really easy fixes to do. At the time I considered using code injection to fix the errors for myself, but never really got around to doing it. A couple of days ago, after reading the wishlist for towerxx, I thought to myself, 'A number of these could easily be added to the existing engine without much effort'. So I started adding them to my copy. Started with getting the game to add the 2 missing defferred thresholds in KLAX, so I could stop having to hex edit the resource file. Then I made the planes land around the aiming mark instead of the first brick. Stopped strobe lights from coming on until cleared for takeoff or lining up. Fixed the smoke effects for the landing gear tires triggering when the nose wheel lands, instead of when they do. noticed a couple of other bugs, but haven't fixed them yet, it's only been 2 days and I need time to 'play test' between fixes 🙂

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well, when I first showed that 'new' voice commands could be added nearly 3 years ago and hex edited the files to fix a few defferred runways etc. I was hoping that some of the errors I pointed out would be fixed, as they are really easy fixes to do. At the time I considered using code injection to fix the errors for myself, but never really got around to doing it. A couple of days ago, after reading the wishlist for towerxx, I thought to myself, 'A number of these could easily be added to the existing engine without much effort'. So I started adding them to my copy. Started with getting the game to add the 2 missing defferred thresholds in KLAX, so I could stop having to hex edit the resource file. Then I made the planes land around the aiming mark instead of the first brick. Stopped strobe lights from coming on until cleared for takeoff or lining up. Fixed the smoke effects for the landing gear tires triggering when the nose wheel lands, instead of when they do. noticed a couple of other bugs, but haven't fixed them yet, it's only been 2 days and I need time to 'play test' between fixes 🙂

Could u show me how 

Unfortunately, other than the using the modified tower3d.rec file from EliGrim or from my old post, showing anyone how to modify the compiled files would be against the terms of service.

p.s. and you would already need to be a competent coder, which, in itself can take years to learn.

Edited by WildCard
added postscript