The simFlight Network Forums

no small window - can't create macro?

Hello,

I'm trying create a simple 1-click mouse macro.  I start the "Create Mouse Macro" dialog, enter a macro filename (in this case G5HSI), but when I press OK, I get no small window.

When I go through the motion of clicking the control, then returning to the FSUIPC Buttons & Switches tab, I see the "End Macro Making" button, but not too surprisingly, no macro's are made, at least none are showing up in the drop-down list. (And how would they, since I never got to assign a name to the control.)

I must be missing a step or have something installed incorrectly.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jim

27 minutes ago, jim_in_nh said:

I'm trying create a simple 1-click mouse macro.  I start the "Create Mouse Macro" dialog, enter a macro filename (in this case G5HSI), but when I press OK, I get no small window

You don't get any "small window" just when starting making a macro file. As the instructions say, you THEN go one to create a mouse macro for each button or switch before returning to End Macro Making.

29 minutes ago, jim_in_nh said:

When I go through the motion of clicking the control

"The" control? Not more than one? Each macro file can contain all those you need for the whole panel or cockpit.

You have not mentioned the version of FS you are using (FS2004, FSX, FSX-SE, P3D3, P3D4)?  Nor the version of FSUIPC. Nor the aircraft you are trying to do it in. It is very hard to help you with no information at all.

If you are not using P3D4 then not all aircraft implementations will support Mouse Macros. This especially applies to most recently developed aircraft models which don't use C/C++ gauges programmed with the FS toolkit. This even applies to most switch in the default aircraft. 

Pete

My apologies for not providing enough information, but despite that, you actually helped me quite a bit.

FSUIPC Version 4.974

FSX, SP2 10.0.61472.0 (fsk-sp2.20071210-2023)

Presently using the FSX Mooney aircraft, with a G5HSI model downloaded from FlightSim.com, but I had tried other standard controls as well (flap switch, speed brake, landing gear, etc.).  

I do plan to create macro's with multiple controls in each file but thought I would start with a single control, just to be sure I understood the process.  After reading your comments, I went back and tried to create a macro using a different aircraft (the FSX Cessna 172) and controls.  After clicking several standard switches, I bumped into a couple that worked fine.  It looks like my problem is the issue you mentioned about the "...C/C++ gauges programmed with the FS toolkit" being the ones that will work, if I understood you.

Is trial and error the best way to determine if a control is conducive to being controlled by a macro?

Thank you again,

Jim

14 minutes ago, jim_in_nh said:

Is trial and error the best way to determine if a control is conducive to being controlled by a macro?

I'm afraid so. But do first check whether there are regular controls for the things you want to assign. You mentioned "flaps, speed brake, landing gear, etc" but of course they all have normal assignable controls to handle them.

Some add-on aircraft have pretty much all gauges with macro accessible switches and buttons, but, again, some don't. The PMDG Boeing series actually are supplied with a little SDK which lists all the controls you can assign, and these cover almost everything -- by ordinary button or key assignment, so no macros needed.

Everything only really came together in this area in P3D4, thanks to Lockheed-Martin's cooperation in adding suitable facilities for mouse macro implementation. 

Pete