The simFlight Network Forums

Arrival Taxiing at DFW

FredJohnson

Hey guys,

I picked up DFW with the sale and I've been trying to run through some real life scenarios.  I've been watching the traffic on flightaware.com that arrives on 17L and 17C.  ATC tends to route these arrivals around runway 17R by going down around the southern tip of the runway using taxiways M ES JS etc.  I'm attempting to replicate this myself, but I'm having a lot of difficulty with pilots following these taxi instructions.  Many times the pilots will read back instructions correctly but then they just sit there at the runway exit checking Facebook or something and never put the planes in motion.  With arrivals on 17C I seem to have better luck when I force the planes to exit at M7, but still not 100% of the time.  Planes coming in on 17L never follow the instructions.  Is this some sort of limitation with the game or a bug with this airport?  or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

image.png.f57354fbb8739a0c1e70b6f6a75d50a4.png

Yep, they are only operating on the east side right now due to the lower traffic levels.

Actually, If you want to try and replicate real life this is from the KDFW D-ATIS - "ALL ACFT LNDG RWY 17C EXIT LEFT AT P2". They take the high speed exit at P2 and then take the P, ES, JS loop. Not sure if the game will handle this left exit very well though.Plus, this game doesn't recognize a high speed exit as all planes come to a stop. 

Regarding 17L landings, it would be best to post a log file and then we can determine where the issue is and if there is a possible solution. More than likely it is a bug. I have my doubts it will get fixed but if it's airport related maybe there's a slim chance.  During the interim you could try just issuing a TAXI TO TAMP VIA ER command and see what route it draws. Then as it approaches P, try sending it around the loop.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Yep, they are only operating on the east side right now due to the lower traffic levels.

Actually, If you want to try and replicate real life this is from the KDFW D-ATIS - "ALL ACFT LNDG RWY 17C EXIT LEFT AT P2". They take the high speed exit at P2 and then take the P, ES, JS loop. Not sure if the game will handle this left exit very well though.Plus, this game doesn't recognize a high speed exit as all planes come to a stop. 

Regarding 17L landings, it would be best to post a log file and then we can determine where the issue is and if there is a possible solution. More than likely it is a bug. I have my doubts it will get fixed but if it's airport related maybe there's a slim chance.  During the interim you could try just issuing a TAXI TO TAMP VIA ER command and see what route it draws. Then as it approaches P, try sending it around the loop.

Thanks!  I'll try posting a log file and exiting at P2 for 17C.

I have tried what you suggested, routing the planes through ER and then re-directing them again when they get closer.  It doesn't work so great when you are really busy, even telling them to hold short at P is an extra command that you can't combine and it takes time away from directing other aircraft.  Running Battlehawk's schedule down at 50% load still gets nutty at rush hour (for me anyway) and you don't have time for extra nonsense. 🙂

9 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

Thanks!  I'll try posting a log file and exiting at P2 for 17C.

I have tried what you suggested, routing the planes through ER and then re-directing them again when they get closer.  It doesn't work so great when you are really busy, even telling them to hold short at P is an extra command that you can't combine and it takes time away from directing other aircraft.  Running Battlehawk's schedule down at 50% load still gets nutty at rush hour (for me anyway) and you don't have time for extra nonsense. 🙂

Yep, sadly with the game's flaws you have to sacrifice reality for playability. That's why what I used to think was a sim is now just a game.

I've had a few routes bug out where planes wont accept them which is depressing as some would be really helpful.

For all of those I have had some mixed results by starting a plane down the path cutting the command string to just get to that point and then issue the command once they get to it seems to have better success. 

Something in the full route off the runway is broken so they cant see it or something. 

Well, no go on getting the planes to exit at P2.  They read back correct but then continue to exit wherever they feel like it.

In the example here, I've given both AAL126 and AAL1584 the instruction to TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA M ES, or I tried TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA M ES JS A G TD.  Neither one of these commands work.  The planes just sit there.  If I vector them down closer to ER first, then there's more of a likelihood that the above instructions will work.

One thing I think I've noticed.  If the gates are closer, such as on the east side of the airport, then the commands appear to work better.  Almost as if the distance is too far to figure out to the other side of the terminal complex.

I'm attaching my log file for your enjoyment.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.d73d45cfbe5d289a9a16b9f3b8a82a9b.png

game.log

2 hours ago, FredJohnson said:

Well, no go on getting the planes to exit at P2.  They read back correct but then continue to exit wherever they feel like it.

Looking at the log it looks like you've tried EXIT AT TAXIWAY. I think one of the following two commands should work:
VACATE RUNWAY LEFT ONTO TAXIWAY P2
TAKE NEXT AVAILABLE EXIT ON LEFT.

I think timing is key though. I believe the commands need to be issued before the successfully landing message. 

But, then if you can't get them to taxi via the south loop it's all moot. 😞

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, crbascott said:

Looking at the log it looks like you've tried EXIT AT TAXIWAY. I think one of the following two commands should work:
VACATE RUNWAY LEFT ONTO TAXIWAY P2
TAKE NEXT AVAILABLE EXIT ON LEFT.

I think timing is key though. I believe the commands need to be issued before the successfully landing message. 

But, then if you can't get them to taxi via the south loop it's all moot. 😞

Fred,

Its been a while since I gave KDFW a run out but Craig is correct in that you need to give the VACATE RUNWAY LEFT ONTO TAXIWAY P2 as the command and it needs to be given BEFORE you get the successfully landed message. I tend to give this just after landing or on final approach but appreciate you can forget in the the throes of a busy session!

I have got the south loop to work on most occasions and you are correct that it works fine in the eastern gates nearer the landing runway but does struggle with the western gates sometimes, particularly the north western end of the airport. Think, as with most of the larger airports, the game does struggle with finding paths. Unfortunately, its a bit of a case of trial an error on taxiing commands for that side, and finding what works and sticking to it.

Hope this helps 

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for the help.  I haven't really had this problem before with other airports, but my experience is limited to airports smaller than KDFW.  I guess this answers my question in that it's not really a bug in the airport, but a limitation of the game itself.  I hope this is something that can be addressed in the next version.

Thanks again