The simFlight Network Forums

Would you be interested to see the updates for Tower!XX?

FeelThere_Vic

2 hours ago, Vantskruv said:

Quoting FeelThere: "We are still using the "old" airports as we are developing brand new materials for the airports itself, but let me show you some drying concrete after the rain 🙂 "

So the airports showing in the pictures is not the Tower3DXX ones, therefore bad textures and polygons. The atmosphere, shaders and lightning though is the effect from Tower3DXX.

(Correct me if I am wrong).

Exactly! Thank you!
We could've added simple boxes, but we decided to use the old KLAX airport for our environment effect testing. No retexturing, nothing. Even this older airport looks much better (I think) with the new shaders and lighting. The airplanes are new, because we tested how's the rain is pouring down on them. 

7 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Craig,

No point to even comment on the airports. These are placeholders, you wont see them in the new version.

I guess this answers the question regarding backwards compatibility then. T!3D airports are suitable for the current version only. Correct?

This is one of the reason why we are not yet sure how we can address backward compatibility.

5 hours ago, crbascott said:

I guess this answers the question regarding backwards compatibility then.

Just to put my two cents in...

Instead of running the risk of being limited in terms of functionality in the new version because of trying to make old airport files work, it would be easy to update the airport installer. This way, both the old and the new version of the airport could be installed, depending on the choices you made during installation. Either the files could be installed directly from the installer file, or they could be loaded from the FeelThere or BMT Micro servers during the installation.
With Steam, the verification and installation would be even easier.

If the customers should be asked to pay again, it would also be possible to integrate a system in the shop where an upgrade for the respective airport could be purchased by providing the purchase information and/or registration key.
As long as the price including taxes and fees does not exceed 5 Euro, I personally would be willing to do so. At least it is likely that I will do it, which of course depends on the features of the new version.
On the Steam sales pages for the airport DLCs you could put a note that there is the possibility of an upgrade via the FeelThere page or similar.

• Like 1

I guess this answers the question regarding backwards compatibility then.

No it's not. All I was saying this is an old airport in the new weather system. No point judging the airport's quality because it will change. Let's not twist my comments, please. 
At the moment we don't even understand what will it take to add the old airports into the new engine ,if it's possible at all. We don't even know how much work will it take to force them to work under the new system so I will definitely not comment or even discuss compatibility, simply because I have no idea at this point. 

it would be easy to update the airport installer. This way, both the old and the new version of the airport could be installed, depending on the choices you made during installation. 

There is no point to discuss technical requirement of an installer either while we don't understand how can we make the old airports compatible. The most logical choice would be to swallow it, make a new standard and from this point keep everything backward compatible loosing the current airports. However we also understand many of you spent lots of money already and we don't want to ignore that either. In the meantime we don't want to take the path that a certain Flight Sim did making each release problematic because of compatibility with an old code... 

Possibly we will have to come up with a solution where the old airports would work in the new game but they will have limitations (for example the rain poodles would look like the screenshots above). Again, please don't jump on me, don't quote me, the purpose of this post is to let me share my thoughts with you and the progress of the development. Everything can change at anytime until an official announcement. Please read it as an off record discussion, the team is killing me already for this topic 🙂 

Vic

My 2 cents:

Maybe you could give the old airports an overhaul (*cough*cough*JFK*cough*cough*) and offer them as an update for a small fee for owners of the old version?

You could check for hashes of the old airport files (latest SP version), and if they match, the installer allows entering the old version's installation key alongside the new one (which is specifically an upgrade key)?

2 hours ago, FeelThere said:

No it's not. All I was saying this is an old airport in the new weather system. No point judging the airport's quality because it will change. Let's not twist my comments, please. 

Vic

Vic, please tap the brakes. I’m not twisting your comments - just trying to understand. When you said “These are placeholders, you wont see them in the new version” I assumed you were talking about the old airports. Additionally, above you said “the quality will change”. So this confuses me in regards to backwards compatibility.

But I’ll drop the subject, because I really don’t care (asking for the general audience) nor do I want the old airports. Many are out of date (and disappointingly were when originally released) and lack the quality expected in today’s aviation sim genre. I’ll just leave it at that. 

4 hours ago, FeelThere said:

There is no point to discuss technical requirement of an installer either while we don't understand how can we make the old airports compatible.

That's my point. Don't try to make them compatible, create new ones.
Then you could update the installers so that both the Tower!3D (Pro) version of the airport for Tower!3D (Pro), and the new version of the airport for TowerX can be installed. At Steam the respective DLC license key could be extended to the TowerX DLC counterpart. Or you could offer an upgrade for a small fee.
In both cases (or all three cases) it would be ensured that only buyers of the old version of a DLC get the new version of the DLC, either for free or at a greatly reduced price. At the same time, you would not waste time and money trying to make the old, partially outdated airports compatible.

That's my idea on this. Whether you adopt it is up to you. I just wanted to help, not start a discussion, because I think that trying to make the old airports compatible will lead to a half-baked gaming experience that probably isn't wanted by either side.

1 hour ago, EliGrim said:

In both cases (or all three cases) it would be ensured that only buyers of the old version of a DLC get the new version of the DLC, either for free or at a greatly reduced price.

This didn’t happen with the last two versions - going from T!2011 to T!3D. They were still releasing T!2011 airports as T!3D became available. 

Not sure if/why they’d do this with Tower X but I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask.

This post isn't a suggestion post but just to agree that I like the reduced cost aspect of it for returning users as it would burn another hole in my pocket to purchase the new version and some of the more popular airports all over again. I don't think FT would make the game free for anyone as that wouldn't be cost effective for them. But for those that had a returning register key for any of the previous DLCs would then get a discounted price, that's something I would consider purchasing. However, if I had to pay at full price for everything all over again, then I would want new airports and most of the things that have been suggested in previous posts which I can see that they are implementing. For me, at least, it's all about customizing the airports and gates (Not just editing the terminal files). That's something that they took out for Tower 3D Pro that I would like to see back in TowerX. The updates do look very promising Vic! 🙂

Vic, please tap the brakes. I’m not twisting your comments - just trying to understand. When you said “These are placeholders, you wont see them in the new version” I assumed you were talking about the old airports. Additionally, above you said “the quality will change”. So this confuses me in regards to backwards compatibility.

Craig, since we are not talking about backwards compatibility or even airports, my information shouldn't confuse you. All I was trying to tell you that we could've used a simple box but we threw an old airport into the new engine. The post wasn't a comment regarding compatibility, nor features or anything about an airport. It was just a heads up about the new weather system.

Vic

2 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Craig, since we are not talking about backwards compatibility or even airports, my information shouldn't confuse you. All I was trying to tell you that we could've used a simple box but we threw an old airport into the new engine. The post wasn't a comment regarding compatibility, nor features or anything about an airport. It was just a heads up about the new weather system.

Vic

Ok, I understand now. Yes, customizable and realistic weather will be nice features. Demonstrating on the old airports may not be the best platform as they don’t do the new features justice, but I can understand your excitement to want to show things off. 

Vic,

I hope your team is not discouraged by the constructive criticism and commentary.  Personally, I love seeing the new screenshots, whether they be old airports, new airports or what have you.  The new weather looks awesome and I look forward to more photos.  I really like the way that Microsoft is keeping the public in the loop with their weekly updates on MSFS2020.  It really builds hype around the product.  Probably not something you can do with a smaller staff but even just some bits of info are appreciated.  It gives us all something to look forward to in these dark times.

Thanks

Fred

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Thank you Fred 🙂
We are not discouraged by the criticism because at this point there is nothing to criticize yet 🙂 I'm sure we'll get it once we get to a more advanced stage 🙂 

Best

Vic

Good to see that you still have a sense of humor Vic!

14 hours ago, crbascott said:

Are the planes you've shared thus far your default regional jet or are they representative of a specific real life plane model?

This is one of the default regional jet. We will only supply fantasy airliners and liveries just like in the past.

We will only supply fantasy airliners and liveries just like in the past.

However, the new version will reintroduce modding tools necessary to create our own models/liveries and maintain performance characteristics. Correct?

12 hours ago, crbascott said:

However, the new version will reintroduce modding tools necessary to create our own models/liveries and maintain performance characteristics. Correct?

I think it was asked and confirmed already 🙂 
For sure it will be a bit more complicated than the T!2011 version was as it would require 3D modeling skills as well as some Unity skills to import them into the game. However this is fairly standard with all simulators out there. 
It will be interested to see how many new airports and airplanes we'll see. I personally hope that we will see many.

• 3 weeks later...

Vic:

It is great to see that the FT crew is far enough along to warrant pics, even if they aren't truly "in-game". So far they look spectacular to my eye, concessions aside.

Glad to hear that progress and milestones (reading btw the lines here) are happening, that is a heartening trend. Myself and most others here have pretty high hopes and standards for our next gen Tower3D "vision". Heck, why not? Go BIG or go home as the saying goes, eh?

Looking forward to continued tidbits Vic. Oh, and a personal thanks for opening up quite a bit to suggestions from all of us in the peanut gallery... or was that the pig sty? 💣

ANYhoo, hope everyone is maintaining through the pandemic. Stay safe!

Paul

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2