The simFlight Network Forums

Separate installs P3Dv4 / P3Dv5

I'm not sure if the installer has changed since, so apologies if this is already out of date.

When I installed FSUIPC6 via the add-ons.xml method, it installed the DLL to Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Addons\FSUIPC6, and created an add-on.xml for P3Dv5 that referenced it. For P3Dv4, it created a directory under Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Addons and an add-on.xml, referencing the existing DLL. My concern is will referencing the same DLL use the same FSUIPC6.INI file? My preferences would be to keep the two installations completely distinct if possible. I've copied the DLL over to the P3Dv4 Addon folder and changed the add-on.xml, but I am concerned that upgrades will undo this.

Cheers!

Luke

Hi Luke,

you should have read the installation and registration guide - this is explained there.

Really, its better to let the installer/uninstaller do this for you. You should have re-ran the installer and selected just one P3D version to install into. This would then automatically uninstall your previous (duL) installation, and install into the selected sim. You can then re-run the installer, select the other P3D version, and install into a different directory.

The options for this are explained in the installation guide.

Making manual changes may confuse the installer/uninstaller, as it reads registry keys to determine if and how it was previously installed. Manual changing the installation method/location will invalidate these keys, giving a discrepancy as to what is installed where and what the installer thinks is installed (via these keys). This will cause problems running the uninstaller or running the installer again.

Cheers,

John

25 minutes ago, Luke Kolin said:

I'll reinstall as you described.

Best to put your installation back to how it was originally installed (by the installer) first, otherwise you will have a discrepancy with what and how the uninstaller thinks you have installed and what you have changed. The uninstaller removes the reg keys after the end of a successful uninstallation, but this will not happen if it fails at some point, if you have confused it by manually changing install locations or methods.

Cheers,

John