The simFlight Network Forums

what is Voluntary Administration

ATC AlaskaGuy

Does anyone know what the term Voluntary Administration means for a airline, the reason I am asking is that i noticed that Virgin Australia has this term listed with them, I was thinking that this must mean like bankruptcy but not really sure if that is what this means so was really hoping that someone knows what this means.

32 minutes ago, ATC AlaskaGuy said:

so basically it is a way of doing what needs to happen before thy have to file for bankruptcy

It is basically like the US. Chapter 11 system but certainly not the same. In Australia a company who is losing money and can not support its creditors can call in administrators before they totaly fail. The administrators attempt to either reserect the company or find a new buyer/investor. In Virgin Australia's case it was having difficulty keeping the airline afloat due to various reasons which I can't go into here. The covid19 grounding was the nail in the coffin for VA at this stage.

Please be aware that this is a very rough description and my understanding as a non legal person, but I  hope it might explain things a little.

Kev