The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jhaley101

STB - on Client Machine - Not connecting.

This morning I tried to run STB but was unable to connect.  The first message I received involved v++ 2015 components that were missing.    STB downloaded and updated that without issue.    Have never seen that before.    I wonder if there was some Windows update overnight.  

But when I try to connect STB (on the client) there is a delay and then I get a message which states "Unable to connect to Prepar3D v5.  Please make sure a flight has completed loading before trying again to connect.     Of course, the sim is running, the flight is updated, there is no pausing or slewing going on.     I'm just sitting at the gate.  

Thanks as always Simon.   The program has been working with v5 flawlessly up to this morning.     Running 5.0.2020.13300

STBClient.Trace.txt

Edited by jhaley101
added versions number

HI Simon, thanks for the reply.  

No, as noted - STB is on the client.     I did some more research which included looking at posts here yesterday and it doesn't look good.    Its not just STB but Little Navmap, it appears that there is some issue with Windows and Simconnect or the runtime libraries.    I'm also getting a similar error message with AI Companion, which is a handy freeware program available at AIG, saying that runtime files may be missing.   I checked and reinstalled all simconnect files, ALL runtime libraries on both machines, and I really didn't want to.   Same error 

Sim is running fine, the new Active Sky is running fine but from what I read it doesn't use simconnect or at least doesn't fully use it anymore.   I downloaded and installed a small program from Lorby SI called flashlight to test simconnect from the client.   No luck, the program won't connect to the FS machine.   

I don't think I have any issue with firewall or file sharing.   The network is there, WideFS is working without issue.   The Data server is working, and it shows connected.   I attached 

I'm stuck right now.   I read something similar from about a year ago and one work around was the creation of a new account in windows but I'm not prepared to go there just yet.  

I attached a couple of files but having trouble understanding the content.   

Going to uninstall and reinstall the simconnect programs on the client.   As suspected, when they were removed, Active Sky for v5 still works, which in some ways is too bad because it used to be a good way to test the simconnect.xml  

STBClient.Trace.txt STB_Client.637259450819746812.UnDeployer.txt

4 hours ago, jhaley101 said:

HI Simon, thanks for the reply.  

No, as noted - STB is on the client.     I did some more research which included looking at posts here yesterday and it doesn't look good.    Its not just STB but Little Navmap, it appears that there is some issue with Windows and Simconnect or the runtime libraries.    I'm also getting a similar error message with AI Companion, which is a handy freeware program available at AIG, saying that runtime files may be missing.   I checked and reinstalled all simconnect files, ALL runtime libraries on both machines, and I really didn't want to.   Same error 

Sim is running fine, the new Active Sky is running fine but from what I read it doesn't use simconnect or at least doesn't fully use it anymore.   I downloaded and installed a small program from Lorby SI called flashlight to test simconnect from the client.   No luck, the program won't connect to the FS machine.   

I don't think I have any issue with firewall or file sharing.   The network is there, WideFS is working without issue.   The Data server is working, and it shows connected.   I attached 

I'm stuck right now.   I read something similar from about a year ago and one work around was the creation of a new account in windows but I'm not prepared to go there just yet.  

I attached a couple of files but having trouble understanding the content.   

Going to uninstall and reinstall the simconnect programs on the client.   As suspected, when they were removed, Active Sky for v5 still works, which in some ways is too bad because it used to be a good way to test the simconnect.xml  

STBClient.Trace.txt 64.91 kB · 0 downloads STB_Client.637259450819746812.UnDeployer.txt 3.18 kB · 0 downloads

That's exactly the problem, the SimConnect API which is part of Prepar3D.  The fact you got the error about Visual Studio download being required is an indication of the SimConnect.dll failing to load, so something very strange has happened to your Prepar3D install. This sort of thing used to happen once in a blue moon with FSX also, and one trick we had was to install the SimConnect client msi which would typically fix the problem.  Unfortunately LM don't supply these, just legacy ones from FSX which won't help.  Other than that, I guess you'd need to ask LM how to fix this, and I imagine if they tell you anything they may well tell you to reinstall.  Reinstalling STB isn't going to help, as the problem is not in STB.

The trace simply tells us we tried to connect, and SimConnect failed:

FS Open Connection Exception Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

One other thing, please check for simconnect.cfg files in MyDocuments/Prepar3D V5 Files and the STB Install folder.  

Almost too embarrassed to reply.  

Fixed it, I was editing and saving the simconnect.xml in the wrong folder, the ProgramData folder where goodies like the scenery.cfg and simobject.cfg reside.   

Found my mistake when I read the information in the SDK readme.   

Moved it, voila.   Back in business.     

Sorry Simon, but I appreciate your assistance just the same.   I'll just find a nice dark, quiet spot to disappear to now.   

JH

1 hour ago, jhaley101 said:

Fixed it, I was editing and saving the simconnect.xml in the wrong folder, the ProgramData folder where goodies like the scenery.cfg and simobject.cfg reside.   

Sorry Simon, but I appreciate your assistance just the same.   I'll just find a nice dark, quiet spot to disappear to now.   

JH

Glad it's working, we've all been there!

On 5/25/2020 at 8:51 PM, jhaley101 said:

JH

JH

could you please share what exact the error was?

Ím facing exact the same problem with STB running the Dataserver on the main machine and the STB on a client.

all was working fine with P3dv4 but it is not connecting anymore since I changed to P3dv5......

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, holi said:

JH

could you please share what exact the error was?

Ím facing exact the same problem with STB running the Dataserver on the main machine and the STB on a client.

all was working fine with P3dv4 but it is not connecting anymore since I changed to P3dv5......

Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind me jumping in here, you've installed STB V5 for Prepar3D-V5?  And STB-DS V5 for Prepar3D-V5?  Sorry if I am pointing out something already known to you.

STB V4 may work to an extend with V5, but not compatible and not supported.

Thanks
Simon

Yes Simon,

I installed STB for P3dv5, Dataserver on the main computer and client on the client-computer.
Unfortunately the client is not connecting! I ran twice the wizard on both machines but no luck. The DB-Server shows connected to P3dv5 HF2, but the client on the other computer is not connecting - first hanging, then showing the error message to wait until P3Dv5 is ready....

To me it looks like a problem with simconnect. 
The other programs on the client like FsFlightcontrol, Active sky Prosim 737 etc are running fine and connect as expected.

With P3Dv4 it was NO problem and all was working!

Regards

Holi

Holi,

It's practically the same code between V4 and V5.

From the client computer, please send me My Documents/SimConnect.cfg and TrafficBoardFrontEnd.exe.config from the STB installation folder.  Please check for simconnect.cfg in the STB installation folder also, there must not be one there.

From the P3DV5 PC please send simconnect.xml (P3D ProgramData or AppData) and StbDataServer.exe.config

I'm not familiar how those others use simconnect as I'm not privy to their source code, so don't wish to draw too many parallels.

Simon,

Thank you for your effort!

The Problem has been solved…..it was a faulty simconnect.xml on the DB Server Computer.

Regards

Glad it's fixed.  Useful utility for helping with these sorts of problems is "currports".  It will tell you which applications have which ports open so you can see whether Prepar3D and STB Data Server are open for business.

Simon