The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Psybear2

A350 Taxis with Engines in reverse

Hi Simon,

While at LEMD-Barrajas, I noticed an AI Qatar A350 A7ALP taxing out for takeoff with the engines in reverse. I mentioned this on the AIG forums and they suggested it might be something awry with STB.  It's strange because I only have noticed this with this particular aircraft. Anyway, posting just to make you aware, not finger pointing.😉

Clayton

https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=33770.0

This is STB working as designed and configured.  STB sends a "deploy a bit of flaps for takeoff" command at the start of taxi-out, this was done long before any AI packages had the capability to do so independently.  The amount of flaps is set in the aircraft config section of the STB Settings Notebook (simulator "flap handle position", which can be 0 through 6).  For most aircraft I supply pre-packaged configurations for, this is 2 or 3.

However for some AI models, flaps are linked to other systems such as reverse thrust.  I don't know why that is, but whatever the reason you need change the flaps handle value in STB to zero for the aircraft concerned.  If you can tell me the exact type and model as STB understands it I can update the source material.

Thanks

Simon

Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot but I think it's this model:

Airbus A350
AIGAIM_FSP_A350-900
AIGAIM_Qatar Airways Airbus A350-900

When I can, I'll try to recreate the situation and repost what STB sees

I'm adding a setting to enable/disable the AI departure flaps command in the next update.  The best way is to configure the departure flaps handle setting for individual aircraft, but this setting will globally enable or disable the capability.  If this is happening a lot in your AI package, it might be worth switching off entirely.   

I don't remember anything specific, but I'm sure I've seen some AI models that do departure flaps without needing STB to help out.

I tested informally, and I observed the B772 and A346 showing the problem.  Both are the freeware versions of the AI models I think.  Will need to do a more complete test of the major models and make some config changes, but please contribute anything you find as well.

The "Depart Now" command is very helpful here for looking at particular models.

Thanks
Simon

Hi Simon,

For most Aircraft which had this behaviour I could solve it by setting the Flap handle to 2 or 3 in P3Dv5.

Unortunately I´m not able to get the FSPAIX A330-900 right. This Aircraft is deploying the spoilers only during taxi. I tried all settings from 0-3 but no success.

Without STB the Aircraft is doing well.

Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks Holger