The simFlight Network Forums

Automatic disabling for Autosave

I often get big stutters short before touchdown...

I don't know, but I think it has to do with the autosave....

So I would suggest a feature, that the autosave will temporarily deactivated, after a descent below 5000ft.

And it should be switched on again, when the aircraft stops.

Probably there could be a config switch, to setup this hehavior.

Peter, would it be possible to develop this?

with regards

Burkhard

12 hours ago, Breenild said:

I don't know, but I think it has to do with the autosave....

So I would suggest a feature, that the autosave will temporarily deactivated, after a descent below 5000ft.

Wouldn't it be a good idea first to test your theory? Try turning off autosave way before touchdown so you can see if you stil get your stutters or not. If you have autosave operating at, say, 30 or 60 second intervals, wouldn't it be a rather remarkable coincidence for it to always occur just at the same point in your flight?

In my experience stutters on final approach are due to things like airport buildings being rendered, AI ground traffic appearing (even just out of sight), and even possibly textures being freshly sharpened 

If there is any stutter at all when the Sim is saving your flight, this will really be one long one, not several. And, in general, unless your memory is full so there's no room to cache the file data and your disk is slow or badly fragmented,  the only thing which makes for noticeable pauses during flight saves is when using a complex add-on aircraft like those from PMDG which also save all their own data to their own files.

Anyway, if you really want the facility you suggest it would be possible for you to implement one as a Lua plug-in now that both FSUIPC5 and FSUIPC6 offset the "auto-save toggle" control.  Unless you have a non-retractable gear I would suggest you make it contingent on the Gear being lowered rather than the AGL value. You could do the same in reverse when raising the gear after lift off. You don't want autosaves whilst taxiiing do you?

Pete

12 hours ago, Breenild said:

A specific FSUIPC control ('auto-save toggle')was recently added in FSUIPCv5.154 that allows autosave to be dynamically enabled/disabled. It should be relatively straightforward to write a lua script to activate this toggle when required (e.g. either by monitoring the plane/ground altitude, or on gear down/up).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pete,

Sorry for my late answer, but first I wanted to try several landings.

It's difficult to test the theory, because the stutter does not appear on every landing.

Now I had 3 landings, where I switched off autosave before final approach.

And these times I did not recognized any remarkable stutters. But probably it is complete coincidence.

I will wait for the next P3D hotfix, then I will change to P3D v5. And then let's so see, how this works.

I will report that later on.