The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gmcraib

FS Commander & Weather

Recently acquired FS Commander 10 after posting in here and a wee trial.  Great program!

It is a massive improvement on FSX default planning and although FSX default has more features than I have used, it is awkward to use and nowhere near as comprehensive as this.

I am using it with SimBrief and SkyVector, SimBrief largely redundant but offers a quick alternative (both run on laptop I don't have WideFS yet) & possibly different database.  SkyVector good with real maps/charts although not quite full approach procedures (but I've made up my own hold/missed in FSC).

Its great to see the SID's/STAR's approaches visually and save as .pln to use with QW757 FMC.  Only downside there is that during the planning stage you may not know which departure/arrival runway you get from (default) ATC so once you get this and add to the FMC it is now out of sync with the plan loaded to ATC.  Not much can be done about that and its more of an issue with the aircraft FMC/default ATC, not being able to load the route to FSX (but it usually loads the route/plan) from FSX beautifully.

I guess a workaround would be to save the FMC plan with the SID/STARs then either use that to load the updated flight plan to FSX ATC, or save within FSC with updated routes and do same then load ATC route into FMC again.  Its a wee bit fiddly in either case and tbh I'd rather not have less programs running in the background (especially once airborne) to reduce risk of FSX crashing.

I guess the other option would be to run FSC on network and free up PC resources a bit, then save the .pln files across the network if possible ('security').  Or maybe ditch the default ATC and go for an add-on and/or VATSIM.

Anyways I digress somewhat, but happy to hear thoughts opinions on what other people do with flight plans originating outside FSX and using with default ATC, especially where changes are involved.

Was going to talk about weather!

Been aware that FSX is not updating for sometime and I understand this is because the contract between Jeppeson and Microsoft ended. 

There is a weather facility in FSC, which obtains live weather and shows on the map.  This is great but I don't think it is possible to pass this to FSX?

Saw there is an option for FS Global weather and I've been considering this, but it also comes with a planner so I thought no need for it when I have FSC.  But then it looks like two are compatible?  Although 30odd quid for it maybe too much when am only using part of it.  But it does look good.

Any advice or opinions on this or using an add-on weather program?

I use FEX for water/cloud textures so wouldn't be keen on using REX for weather (unless there is no clash to FEX).

1. Ditch default ATC: It simple doesnt know the procedures supplied by an up to date navdatabase. Even more worse it gives you procedures rwys etc. which simply no longer exist (The FSX database is now over 15 years old).

2. Weather: FSC is not a weather enigine which can inject weather into the sim like ActiveSky.

I now have FS Global Real weather, have used this successfully to inject weather into FSX, I even think it works better than the original!

One problem I've faced, wit the interface between FSC and FSGRW, when I go to load the FS GRW into FSC10 it says the folder is incorrect and to check the path.  The option for FSGRW is then greyed out until I restart FSC.

Well initially the path was incorrect!  As I had downloaded weather to a different folder.  But I have corrected this now and pointed FSC to the correct path.  However, when you click the radio button for FSGRW in the options it says not correctly selected! even though the selected folder in the RHS path is the location of the weather download files.

Is there a certain path (other than that selected) that the programme looks for or is it trying to detect the weather files (.cwd)?

Suspect it is the latter but can't figure out why it is not detecting them.

Is there any other way of resetting the option to download FSGRW other than restarting the programme?

Yes, I daresay will be ditching default ATC.  Been thinking about it a long time.  Just not decided on a replacement yet, other than VATSIM.

The issue I have with default ATC is the same voices, I can almost accept the other quirks eg multiple handoffs, heading changes, etc.

Will defo use VATSIM, but will want an ATC for using offline aswell.