The simFlight Network Forums

Potential install issue with FSUIPC6

AWESOME product!  Been a registered user for many years!  But I recently installed FSUIPC6 and ran into a myriad of issues!

I have P3D v4 and 5 and I performed the FSUIPC install for both.

My system has two hard drives.  Both P3D v4 and 5 are on the C drive.  However, "My documents" is residing on the D drive

When I ran the installer, it correctly generated the FSUIPC6 directory on the D\documents directory (where it places the user documentation) AND correctly created both "add-on" folders and the xml files into the respective Prepar3D v4 (and 5) Add-ons folders in my Documents on the "D" drive.  HOWEVER, it proceeded to create a new "Users\Terry\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" on the C drive.  (Granted, the "C:\Users\Terry\Documents" may have already existed from something else previously, I'm not sure about this)

I've spent all day troubleshooting why it wasn't utilizing my original fsuipc(x).ini file that I have extensive profiles in.  Once I discovered the incorrect new "Documents" folder on my C drive, I transferred my original.ini file to it and it works wonderfully.

My issue is the installer should not have created a new users\my docs on my C drive but utilized the existing one on the "D" drive.

Hope I conveyed my issue properly here.

TB2

Terry Bryson

Ocala Flight Sim Club

1 hour ago, Realpilotnow said:

Hope I conveyed my issue properly here.

I for one don't understand.

You say:

When I ran the installer, it correctly generated the FSUIPC6 directory on the D\documents directory (where it places the user documentation) AND correctly created both "add-on" folders and the xml files into the respective Prepar3D v4 (and 5) Add-ons folders in my Documents on the "D" drive.  HOWEVER, it proceeded to create a new "Users\Terry\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" on the C drive. 

But what folder did you tell the Installer to put FSUIPC6 into (which of course will be where the INI file would go)?

Normally the Add-Ons folders are just for the Add-On.xml files telling P3D to load the program, though I know a lot of folks just let all their add-ons install there too, so allowing the system drive to grow and grow.

HOWEVER, it proceeded to create a new "Users\Terry\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" on the C drive.  (Granted, the "C:\Users\Terry\Documents" may have already existed from something else previously, I'm not sure about this)

This part i'm afraid I'll have to leave for John, as I don't know how the new Installer detects your registered user "Documents" folder, because it there there where the Add-on XML should go. 

For added information, where does the "Documents" entry in the "This PC" section of the Explorer take you? I thought it always took you to the Users\<user name>\Documents folder, which is certainly where all other programs looking for document-installed files would go.  So, in your case, C:\Users\Terry\Documents seems to be the correct place, and in fact must exist.  What is your "D:\My Documents" doing, and how is that accessed as the 'official' place?

You see how this appears rather confused? I think you may be confusing Windows, which in turn could affect many installers and other programs. I'd be very interested to know how P3D knows to look in an unofficial place for the add-on.xml files, or, indeed, to save and retrieve scenario files.

Pete

Hi Terry.

could you post your InstallFSUIPC6.log file please and I'll take a look (it will be in your installation folder).

Basically there are three locations used to install FSUIPC6:
1. Documents: this is determined by examining the personal shell folder keys in the registry. If not found, then your default 'windows profile' folder will be used. This cannot be changed. The installer will create an FSUIPC6 folder under this location, where the documents will be installed
2. add-on.xml: this is the file that P3D uses to load FSUIPC6 (and determine its installation location). Its location is determined by P3D and will be under <Documents>\Prepar3d v[4/5] Add-ons\,  where <Documents> is again determined either by either your registry or your 'user profile' location. A folder called FSUIPC6 is created under this location, which contains the add-on.xml file. This cannot be changed.
3.Installation folder: this is where FSUIPC6 is actually installed, and is the location that you select during the installation process. This will default to the pre-determined location of the add-on.xml file for new installations, when it should be changed, and the previous installation location for a re-install.

This is when using the 'add-on.xml' method of installation - if you don't select this, the dll.xml method will be used (file located under your AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v[4/5] folder) and the 2nd location (above) won't be used.

It would be interesting to see your log as there may be a discrepancy as to when your registry location or profile directory is used (as these may be different).

John