The simFlight Network Forums

reading simconnect menus via offsets in fsuipc 4

Hi,

One of the features of my Talking Flight Monitor software is the ability to read SimConnect menus with text-to-speech. This works great in p3d with fsuipc 6.

However, it doesn't work with FSX and fsuipc version 4. If I enable the NewInterceptTextMenu option in the ini, the simconnect menu offsets still don't appear to work.

I know this was a bug early in fsuipc 5 that got fixed. Any chance we could get this working in version 4?

I still have some users that want to use fSX and this simconnect feature is really helpful.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Jason Fayre said:

One of the features of my Talking Flight Monitor software is the ability to read SimConnect menus with text-to-speech. This works great in p3d with fsuipc 6.

However, it doesn't work with FSX and fsuipc version 4. If I enable the NewInterceptTextMenu option in the ini, the simconnect menu offsets still don't appear to work.

What seems to be wrong with it. For the years I was using FSX, FSX-SE and P3D1-3 I always had the menus and other texts displays shown on a small screen in my cockpit via WideClient.  What is the problem you think you've got, exactly?

5 hours ago, Jason Fayre said:

I know this was a bug early in fsuipc 5 that got fixed.

Really?  Please give me a reference. Considering I'd used it so much before FSUIPC5 was even developed, that seems really odd. I'd like you to explain, please.

Incidentally, there's no way I'll be adding or enhancing features in FSUIPC4 now. 

Pete

Hi Pete,

All I can say is that the same code I use to read simconnect message offsets that works in p3d under fsuipc 5/6 doesn't work for my users in version 4. 

I don't have the specific reference to the bug in fsuipc 5, but I remember it existed. I'll look around. 

Is it possible that the offsets only work via widefs, and not locally in version 4? I have a widefs key, so I can try using that with my software and see if it works.

15 hours ago, Jason Fayre said:

If I enable the NewInterceptTextMenu option in the ini,

What option is this?

If you are using the lua event.textmenu function (and maybe the TextFileForDisplay option), then these were only added to FSUIPC in versions 5.15/5.16, and are only available in FSUIPC5 & 6 (as well as WideClient).

John

Hi John,

From the fSUIPC 4 offsets list in my modules folder:

B000 2048 FSUIPC4 and FSUIPC5: This area is used to hold the 
event.textmenu() data for WideClient Lua plug-ins. It can be 
accessed by FSUIPC applications wishing to process menus and 
messages themsellve, without having to use a Lua plug-in.

This works in version 5 and 6, but not 4. I'm accessing the menus via offsets, not lua scripts.

Thanks!